DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Okay, now that the Mini 3 Pro has officially been released. Will you buy it?

I may have this wrong though.
No, you are completely right, mate.
I did contact the CAA not long ago with my non-UK, EASA A2 certificate but they said it's invalid in the UK. Brexit benefits for me too. šŸ˜† So now I only hold the A1/A3 CAA certificate.

You may be lucky that the UK will prolong the legacy period like the EASA did to the beginning of 2024 (currently under consideration afaik), but sooner or later, the M2P will be restricted of many use cases.

On the other hand, yes, I have never been officially confronted nor do I think that the police in the 1st place really knows how to deal with a complaint on site. But I don't want to find out as penalties are quite high. In the long run, they just need to ring the respective airspace authority and I guess, they may get trained in this manner as more and more complaints arise to do so.

Don't get me wrong: even with the Mini 3 Pro I am not a person who insists of one's right to fly at a spot to annoy people enjoying their freetime. 90 % of people I've met were just very curious how it works, especially families with children.

I only had one bad experience and some minor comments, but for 2,5 years, that's probably what you can expect.
Nonetheless, in the event of doubt, it is not only better to fly safe but to be legally safe. And the Mini 3 Pro is the tool that allows that while not sacrificing quality coming from the M2P. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaros
I think it can use the RC Pro controller. But the drone itself and 47 min battery are both not available yet until August. Iā€™ll be interested in getting just the drone and some 47 min batteries so I can use it with my Mavic 3 RC Pro controllerā€¦ doesnā€™t make sense at this launch to get the controller I donā€™t need included along with the lower capacity battery.
But the drone itself and 47 min battery are both not available yet until August.

Are you saying that those who purchased the drone and the 47 min battery must wait until August to receive them? That's a 3 month wait and they have my money today???

I took the baitā€¦ I have the mini 2 and the A2ā€™s & RC Pro and super happy with them but I also really like what they did with the new mini 3 pro, having a mini drone in the mix is very useful for me & my travels to go unnoticed, even more so as most of the reviews say itā€™s even quieter than the mini 2 which would be great!

But I didnā€™t see the August ship date on Best Buy, just saw it on the DJI site, so Iā€™m guessing the same window for Best Buy! Suuuuuucks!

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I'd like one, but the urge to blow the gadget fund isn't there, so certainly not immediately. I'll continue to watch the reviews and see how it pans out before taking the jump.

Basically it's too expensive.

Reactions: Chrislaf and Yaros
Honestly, I will very likely wind up getting it. I actually ALMOST already placed my order. There were a few things that discouraged me from going through with a "pre-order"... The first of which being, I too noticed out of the THREE (3) "versions" only ONE is "available soon". Of course the Expensive one w/ the remote with the built in screen. The other TWO (2) variants; the one with the screen-less remote, or the one with NO remote; aren't available (will not ship until AUGUST)..! That meant, if I wanted it with any semblance of being "timely", I'd "HAVE" to go with the most expensive one, with the remote with the built in screen, or of course wait even longer (until AUGUST)..!

That was off-setting enough, though they likely could have had me hooked (and clicking on BUY IT NOW) IF, they had only included the 47 minute battery with the "base" drone (or 3x 'plus' with the bundle)... I was thinking about it and was REALLY offset by the idea that I'd be ordering the drone, AND the fly-more PLUS bundle... If I did this, I would wind up with THREE (3) batteries, yes... But ONE would be the "cheapie" battery, and TWO would be the "PLUS"... ~ HUGE turn off to someone like me, with CDO (it's like OCD except the letters are alphabetical, as they should be!) ~

Between those TWO things, I decided NOT to "impulse" buy "RIGHT NOW". I figure I will wait until I can see if there will be ANY way, in the future, to order this thing so that I wind up with THREE "plus" batteries..! Something tells me the opportunity will eventually "arrive" (Adorama anyone [just look at that deal] !?!)

So, ultimately, DJI "screwed up" by (in order), A)- NOT including the PLUS battery (or 3x PLUS w/ the fly more - instead of 2x). B)- Having the actual shipping (release) dates being SO far apart. "If you just order the one w/ the screen built in the remote RIGHT NOW, it'll ship (estimated) by 31/MAY/2022 but, if you want just a 'normal' or NO remote, sorry that will not ship until AUGUST"..!

Not to mention, I should know better anyway (luckily I didn't order) because: using my Autel Evo Nano+ as a perfect example, that has already taught me WHY I should NOT impulse order a new fancy shiny drone before it's been out and established for a while. Don't get me wrong, I <3 my Autel Evo Nano+ but, it (still) does not have the "tracking" feature they've touted it would have. I do understand it IS "coming", but like anything else in "tech" ~ Soonā„¢

So ultimately I am VERY glad I didn't impulse buy the Mini 3... However, they ALMOST would have baited me in had they only included that THIRD 'plus' battery..! I probably would go for the one with the remote (just because I don't have one like that yet) but, to feel "FORCED" into it (and again, that lack of a THIRD 'plus' battery); just really turned me off..!

Reactions: crash3x and Faster
I'm maintaining what I said before the release. I'll wait. I still have some doubts and questions that only time will solve. In the meantime I continue enjoying flying my drones and keep my hard earned money in my pocket. I'm not in a hurry.
Some of my questions are:
Will the firmware be hackable to eliminate the stupid DJI NFZ?
Will the firsts firmware updates break satellite acquisition (like M3)? Will I be able to downgrade those firmwares if I wanted?
Will the Mini3 overheat and loose signal in high winds as some have mentioned? Will be fixable?
Which battery to buy? Not because of registration (all my drones are) but how the Mini3 will fly with them (there is 40g difference between both)
How the new RC will be updated? There is no sideload. What happens if I don't like the Fly app and I want to install a different version? Would I be able to do it?
Will the new RC be compatible with other drones? DJI says so, but from my experience it could take months or even don't happen.

I think I will be passing on the Mini 3 Pro. I only do stills and currently have the Mini but definitely in the market for a higher resolution sensor and better lens.

The Mini 3 looks great but I am struggling to find stills samples that are making me go "Wow" if anybody has any links I would love to see them. I have seen Tom's Tech, DPreview, Drone Tech Media and studio sample shots from Pilot Institute but without doing a heap of work I can't seem to get stills to pop. I don't know if it's user focusing or just the fact that a f1.7 lens is not going to create overall crisp images. Really would like someone to prove me wrong as I could see myself buying the Mini 3 Pro for biking/hiking trips and especially 360 x 180 panos which I understand will require a manual upper nadir shot or two to complete if using the current firmware?

Iā€™m going to wait. Too many people have been bitten by DJI release models. Iā€™ve also been informed that obstacle avoidance doesnā€™t work whilst filming in 4K on the Mini 3. If thatā€™s ends up the case, Iā€™ll stick with my Mini 2.

Iā€™m going to wait. Too many people have been bitten by DJI release models. Iā€™ve also been informed that obstacle avoidance doesnā€™t work whilst filming in 4K on the Mini 3. If thatā€™s ends up the case, Iā€™ll stick with my Mini 2.
In 4k60, you are correct. 4k30 works.
This is the same on the Air 2S too.

Reactions: crash3x
I would have bought it on launch day, if my preferred setup was available.

I wanted just the Drone with the Fly More Plus kit. Wait time on DJI's site is months...

I would have bought it with the DJI RC, if the RC worked with the M3 and the range was the same as the RC Pro. But neither of those are true, as far as I know.

At least releasing at the end of summer may minimize any overheating issues it may have right off the bat... DJI always thinking ahead, huh?

All joking aside, I'll probably get it unless it has some serious issues that come up.

Does the mini 3 comes with the remote ID requirement for September ?

so I recently picked up an Air 2s literally on the 11th then when I got home and saw the release of the mini3, instantly panicked and pondered taking the Air2s back to the shop.
but there's one reason I won't be buying the mini pro 3 and that's VLOS.... the drone is just too small to only have front-facing lights if it had rear-facing as well i bought be all over it.
now I normally fly a parrot Anafi for missions and that little sucker is silent you can not hear it 20+m away stealthy little blighter makes it extremely difficult to keep track of!, although it is black so you can pick out a dot against the skyline (if you can see blackbirds you should be ok)

now the Air2s is an absolute joy with the 4 lights out to about 650m in daylight and even further at dusk. Reminded me of my 3DR SOLO days.

what typical VLOS is normal with the mini series??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer