DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One of the Mavic batteries not sitting flush (swollen?)

Not an option when the M2 came out unless you wanted to wait many weeks extra for stock.
Its also not an option in large parts of the world where Amazon dont operate.

This is true for the drone itself but nothing prevents you from buying just the drone from DJI (that is if you absolutely MUST have it upon release) and then getting the spares on Amazon. As for your second point: are there a lot of places actually where DJ I will deliver but Amazon will not?

Not an option when the M2 came out unless you wanted to wait many weeks extra for stock.
Its also not an option in large parts of the world where Amazon dont operate.
Indeed! I had to buy a second Fly More Kit from Best Buy just to get two more batteries in February, 4 months after release, as the batteries still weren't sold separately, even at BB.

Just a little tip, but I have experienced a little swelling once in awhile with my mavic 2 batteries and when I see that start to happen I take the battery off I put a clamp on the battery as it's cooling down and it seems to resolve the bulge that makes it unsafe for the battery to sit in its cradle on the AC.
IMO, it seems to feel as if it's really more a defect in the bottom casing then it is the actual battery itself so by doing this while it is warm it seems to bring it back into a tolerable surface to meet up with the socket in the AC.. a bit of a disclaimer in some cases this may not work as it could potentially be the battery itself bulging out, lol. But so far this has saved me purchasing two new batteries.
30ea247508db37f452826bad4d34acab.jpg
d2205e36ef4708613489ddc5be4f2e11.jpg

Just a little tip, but I have experienced a little swelling once in awhile with my mavic 2 batteries and when I see that start to happen I take the battery off I put a clamp on the battery as it's cooling down and it seems to resolve the bulge that makes it unsafe for the battery to sit in its cradle on the AC.
IMO, it seems to feel as if it's really more a defect in the bottom casing then it is the actual battery itself so by doing this while it is warm it seems to bring it back into a tolerable surface to meet up with the socket in the AC.. a bit of a disclaimer in some cases this may not work as it could potentially be the battery itself bulging out, lol. But so far this has saved me purchasing two new batteries.
What is the displayed Production Date of each of your Mavic 2 batteries in the GO 4 app? Only the Production Dates of 2018.07 and 2018.08 are known to have swelling issues, which were resolved in the later Production Dates since 2018.08. The swollen batteries have no degradation in performance, but could become dislodged in flight, when the side snaps release from increased swelling pressure during flight. Best to secure them tightly in place with a velcro strap or gaffers tape, if you continue to use them for flying. Alternatively, use them to acquire satellites upon bootup, and then swap them out before flight.

That clamp idea won't work. The gas causing the swelling will expand and increase pressure as the battery heats up in flight.
I have 3 batteries with swelling. First one is very little but enough that I've decided to ground it. Other two much more. They look passable when at room temperature but partially unlatch and more swollen after a cautious test flight.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Waiting until just before flying tp charge a battery is not something I'm in the habit of doing or want to do. I have six batteries for my Spark and have not had problems with swelling. I have flown it on the hottest days and always kept the batteries charged. My Air is a different situation. Three batteries, one is swollen slightly and one is iffy. The third one is fine. They have 60 or so cycles on them. I guess it is what it is. I wouldn't have caught the first swollen battery, but I got a no takeoff warning and something that said the battery was not secure. Can't remember the exact wording. I reset the battery without looking at it and when I finished the flight I could tell it was swollen slightly. I did fly once more with it and checked the condition during flight and that check didn't show anything abnormal but the battery was more swollen after landing. I'm guessing that, as been said, swollen batteries could easily pop off in flight.
I really don't want to have to buy new batteries or worse a new drone so....Many thanks Msinger for the information! I guess I'll have to change my habits.

If it’s an enclosure design/assembly issue and this is working for you great. Your suggestion may prove to be very poor advice however If the bulge is due to cell pouch(s) swelling. Squashing them with a clamp is potentially a very bad idea. Apply enough pressure, in the right spot, to an already compromised cell and you will have your hands full if your unlucky enough to get a short anywhere across the dialectic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok