DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One of the Mavic batteries not sitting flush (swollen?)

bzmot

Reactions
Hey Guys, a proud owner of a Mavic 2 Zoom here. I’ve had the drone for about 10 months now. I got a fly more combo so three batteries and then I got two spares cause you can never have too many right? ;) Anyway, I just noticed one of my batteries is not sitting completely flush with the upper part of the drone. The battery wall sticks out upwards maybe 1 mm, maybe less, like the battery is a bit too deep for the drone. It clicks in place alright, it powers the drone but I’m not sure if I can trust it enough to take it flying. Should I file a claim with DJI? Can it be because it has swollen somehow? Any idea what could have caused that? Do they offer any battery warranty? Any help would be appreciated!

i would not use it to fly your drone just keep it for doing things that require the drone to be powered up for upgrades etc how you store your batteries during times when you are not flying for a while can have a big effect on their condition have you numbered them so you know which order you use them in also make sure you let them cool down after use before you recharge them again

The batteries carry a 6 month warranty which begins, I believe, at the first use... if the battery in question is < 6 months old I’d notify DJI for a replacement.
I personally would not use a swelled battery of any kind in my drone, even a low power type use.
Cooling down is important! I fly in Arizona desert mostly (80’s to Mid/upper 90’s Fahrenheit) and the aircraft also gets very warm at the latter extreme above. I always allow the M2P to cool in shade until the entire drone, including the battery compartment with battery removed palpate at ambient temp.

Seems to be a lot of that happening lately.
Two of mine swelled 1 to 2mm.
The swelling came down at least 1mm.
Batteries operated fine otherwise. I didn't realize about the swelling of the 2nd battery until after flying with it and about to fly with the third. I flew the 3rd under limited conditions where it did OK.

I'll test again in limited flight if it swells more during flight. I'll start using velcro to secure them.

I left them in the car too long.

Hey Guys, a proud owner of a Mavic 2 Zoom here. I’ve had the drone for about 10 months now. I got a fly more combo so three batteries and then I got two spares cause you can never have too many right? ;) Anyway, I just noticed one of my batteries is not sitting completely flush with the upper part of the drone. The battery wall sticks out upwards maybe 1 mm, maybe less, like the battery is a bit too deep for the drone. It clicks in place alright, it powers the drone but I’m not sure if I can trust it enough to take it flying. Should I file a claim with DJI? Can it be because it has swollen somehow? Any idea what could have caused that? Do they offer any battery warranty? Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the seemingly rapidly growing club of swollen batteries. On here and the DJI forum are more and more posts of people having this happen.
Sadly the batteries are covered for 6 months so theres no claim with DJI possible.
Personally i wouldnt use it - they'll swell more and more and sudden jolts in flight such as braking, wind gusts etc can easily cause one side to unlatch, or worse, both. Im suspecting a lot of these drone dropping out of the sky posts of late are related to this.
It will tell you if it thinks one side isnt latched properly but its not a reliable indication.

All 3 of my batteries swelled to the point they were unusable a few months ago. I had to spend $450 on 3 new ones. The M2 batteries seem to have far less lifespan than is quoted by DJI. (mine had 20 cycles each).

I just noticed one of my batteries is not sitting completely flush with the upper part of the drone. The battery wall sticks out upwards maybe 1 mm, maybe less, like the battery is a bit too deep for the drone. It clicks in place alright, it powers the drone but I’m not sure if I can trust it enough to take it flying.
If the battery if visibly swollen, then you should dispose of it. There is no way to repair it.

You can prevent this from happening to your other batteries by following these battery care tips:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

Unfortunately as more people seem to be discovering lately, those care tips dont seem to work or apply or preventing it happening to M2 batteries.

Reactions: diego
Unfortunately as more people seem to be discovering lately, those care tips dont seem to work or apply or preventing it happening to M2 batteries.
Not sure what you mean. Why couldn't they be applied to Mavic 2 batteries?

Because a growing number of people are getting swollen batteries even when the care advice is being followed and them used within the operating conditions specified by DJI.
In short, it isnt preventing damage happening for a number of people.

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Because a growing number of people are getting swollen batteries even when the care advice is being followed and them used within the operating conditions specified by DJI
There are a growing number of cases where people followed all of their care tips and still somehow destroyed their batteries? This is news to me.

The care tips never guaranteed your battery never goes bad, they just reduce the probability of that happening.

The care tips never guaranteed your battery never goes bad, they just reduce the probability of that happening.
Nothing is guaranteed. However, we do know most people damage their batteries by not following those tips.

Don't want to follow the tips? Then, have at it and live life on the edge, my friend ;)

Last edited:
The reports of swollen batteries are starting to come more often it seems and may have something to do with the hotter summer weather. I flew with a friend, his MPP batteries were considerably cooler after a 20 minute flight than my M2 Pro. So heat may be part of the problem. Flying in 105 heat indexed midday or late afternoon may need to be considered.

So far mine have not swollen but they do get warmer to the touch than either of the MPP drones we flew that same day. And take longer to cool down.

Paul C

Reactions: arcticfrost
The reports of swollen batteries are starting to come more often it seems and may have something to do with the hotter summer weather.
I'd expect it to simply be that all those batteries are now getting old... of course you won't hear about many age-related failures when the product is new.

Was same with the MP.

Last edited:
I think its temperature related. I live in the tropics where its 30-35 degrees most days for example.
Its not age, 7 months old and 20 cycles is in no way age related. Especially not 3 of them from different batches.

Don’t use it. Keep it offline even if you thought it returned to normal. You don’t need blackouts or brownouts at altitude. Batteries are cheap vs. personal or property damage.

Well, luckily I bought mine on Amazon so they suggested I can either have dji contact me for replacement or refund or better yet I can send them back to Amazon postage prepaid for a full refund even though it’s been 9 months or so. Which is what I did. And since they have gone down in price since then by 20€ each I ended up actually making money on this.

I love Amazon.

Welcome to the seemingly rapidly growing club of swollen batteries. On here and the DJI forum are more and more posts of people having this happen.
Sadly the batteries are covered for 6 months so theres no claim with DJI possible.
Personally i wouldnt use it - they'll swell more and more and sudden jolts in flight such as braking, wind gusts etc can easily cause one side to unlatch, or worse, both. Im suspecting a lot of these drone dropping out of the sky posts of late are related to this.
It will tell you if it thinks one side isnt latched properly but its not a reliable indication.

All 3 of my batteries swelled to the point they were unusable a few months ago. I had to spend $450 on 3 new ones. The M2 batteries seem to have far less lifespan than is quoted by DJI. (mine had 20 cycles each).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I tried DJI as its where i bought the drone from. It was after 6 months so they refused to do anything to a 7 month year old swollen battery (or 3 in fact)

Just goes to show it makes more sense to buy on Amazon, cause they actually assume responsibility for what they sell you beyond the customary 6 months.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Not an option when the M2 came out unless you wanted to wait many weeks extra for stock.
Its also not an option in large parts of the world where Amazon dont operate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78