DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orange County, CA area

Well, I typically color-grade my videos anyway. At the very least, I tweak the basic settings. So, I figured if I'm doing that, I may as well, shoot in D-Log. I'm usied to shooting HDR stills in photograph--been doing it for over 10 years, so the idea of high dynamic range in videography is very appealing to me.

Shooting in D-Log forces you to save in H.265 compression (well, on the Mavic 2 Pro, anyway). Most of my H.264 videos have not been in 4K, so I can't comment on comparing H.265 with non-4K videos. It's no skin off my teeth to shoot H.264 and if it give better compression, why not use it? ;)
How do the two methods compare for end result? I haven't seen any significant improvements end result, assuming you're after realistic real world colors. Dlog doesn't look worse, but only slightly better from what I can tell. The comparisons from Tony and Chelsea don't seem very significant, but that's using YouTubes compression, which can affect things. What's your opinion of finish product quality? Does 10bit help much when you see it on your computer?

I guess what I was hoping for is when I see a 10bit dlog video in 4k on YouTube, I will be able to say..... Oh yeah, that's done with a M2P in 4K 10Bit/Dlog, no question (versus 8bit 4K M.264 on P4P). But I can't say that's the case yet. Seems there's a lot of hype about the Hasselblad features, but I haven't been wowed yet (except the portability of course). Maybe I'm expecting too much.

How do the two methods compare for end result? I haven't seen any significant improvements end result, assuming you're after realistic real world colors. Dlog doesn't look worse, but only slightly better from what I can tell. The comparisons from Tony and Chelsea don't seem very significant, but that's using YouTubes compression, which can affect things. What's your opinion of finish product quality? Does 10bit help much when you see it on your computer?

I guess what I was hoping for is when I see a 10bit dlog video in 4k on YouTube, I will be able to say..... Oh yeah, that's done with a M2P in 4K 10Bit/Dlog, no question (versus 8bit 4K M.264 on P4P). But I can't say that's the case yet. Seems there's a lot of hype about the Hasselblad features, but I haven't been wowed yet (except the portability of course). Maybe I'm expecting too much.
I would never rely on YouTube to be "wowed" by a 4K video. My computer monitors at home don't support it. You'll need a 4K TV to appreciate the difference.

I didn't buy the M2P for the D-Log or 10-bit video. I mainly was interested in the variable aperture for still photography and for the physical size of the drone itself (I came from the Phantom 4 world). I shoot stills with the M2P using AEB-5 for HDR images, which I manually merge. I do not rely on the built-in HDR photo style.

I guess, to sum it all up, the photos/videos I'm getting from the M2P are far better than from my Phantom 4 (OG) and it's much easier to travel with it. Based on that, I'm very satisfied with it.

360° Spherical of the Meadowlark Golf Course in Huntington Beach California

Flying a Mavic 2 Pro, I shot 26 images in RAW format, assembled using the Adobe CC suite of tools.

Click on image below to view it in the 360° viewer...

Meadowlark Golf Course Panorama by J. Les Gainous, on Flickr

360° Spherical of the Seacliff Country Club in Huntington Beach, California.

Flying a Mavic 2 Pro, I shot 26 images in RAW format, assembled using the Adobe CC suite of tools.

SeaCliff Country Club by J. Les Gainous, on Flickr

360° Spherical of Huntington Harbour area of Huntington Beach, California.

Huntington Harbour Panorama by J. Les Gainous, on Flickr

360° Spherical of the Bella Terra area of Huntington Beach, California

Bella Terra Panorama by J. Les Gainous, on Flickr

What city do you live?

John Locke, sorry to barge into thread but wanted you to know that I found your 2015 post in phantom forum about flying in Arizona in perfect time for this weekend! I guess you travel quite a bit. Your notes and video were most appreciated! Great socal pics everyone btw.

I will be in San Clemente next week with my Mavic Air. Where are some good places to fly, especially near the ocean because I’m making a coast to coast holiday travel video. Shot drone video at Tybee Island, Georgia for the Atlantic Ocean shots. No drones on the beaches in nearby Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

This is my first attempt at creating a photo style called, "Droneception". Remember the movie "Inception", when they were in the city and the roads and buildings curved upward? Well, I used my drone to create something similar. This is of the Huntington Beach, California pier.

droneception-hb-pier-2018-01-30-700h.jpg

#droneception
#inception
#hbpier
#m2p

This is my first attempt at creating a photo style called, "Droneception". Remember the movie "Inception", when they were in the city and the roads and buildings curved upward? Well, I used my drone to create something similar. This is of the Huntington Beach, California pier.

View attachment 61182

#droneception
#inception
#hbpier
#m2p
That's a cool effect. Did you morph two photos together?

You were up late last night, did it take that long? Hah!

That's a cool effect. Did you morph two photos together?

I captured 12 images, but only used nine of them. The more images used, the more time it takes in post (exponentially more!). They say—when learning to create droneception images—to start with a simple environment like a rural road with not much detail such as trees, etc. However, there're aren't many of those types of roads close by, so I jumped in headfirst with my favorite subject—the HB pier. :oops:

You were up late last night, did it take that long? Hah!
LOL! Yeah, I got started much later than I had wanted. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka