DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Order of color correction and LUTs?

FuzzyBob

Reactions
So I've got a Mavic 2 Pro, ND filters from 4 to 64, Datacolor Spydercheckr 24 (hate the 'checkr' spelling), and use Davinci 16. Shooting in Dlog-M, 24 FPS, adjusted to fairly neutral EV depending on direct sun or a brief cloud.

I think I'm getting the hang of slower movements and doing more than one movement at a time. Practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

What I could use a little help on is order of color correcting. I've got the DJI LUT but I'm not sure if I should be applying that first or later in the line of corrections.

Node order would be... ? White balance > color checker > LUT > manual tweaks or LUT > color checker > etc ?

So I've got a Mavic 2 Pro, ND filters from 4 to 64, Datacolor Spydercheckr 24 (hate the 'checkr' spelling), and use Davinci 16. Shooting in Dlog-M, 24 FPS, adjusted to fairly neutral EV depending on direct sun or a brief cloud.

I think I'm getting the hang of slower movements and doing more than one movement at a time. Practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

What I could use a little help on is order of color correcting. I've got the DJI LUT but I'm not sure if I should be applying that first or later in the line of corrections.

Node order would be... ? White balance > color checker > LUT > manual tweaks or LUT > color checker > etc ?
LUT
Lift then gain
Gamma/contrast/offset
White balance
HSL/selective adjustments
Color grade

M-Log LUT is just to convert D-LOG to Rec. 709. It’s your starting point. I’m sure everybody does things after white balance differently

Color grade = color checker?

And yeah I've seen lots of different ways on YouTube for white balancing stuff. I'll have to get the hang of some of them after I get better at color grading.

This video by Drone Film Guide answered a lot of questions for me as far as color correction and color grading. Hint: always start out by color correcting first to get the exposure right. Once I saw this video, things clicked in place for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo