DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

technical transforms for easier colour correction or viewing of flat or log DJI footage

bigtobz

Reactions
Hey guys, I am a professional colourist and colour scientist who is also a owner of a Mavic Pro 2 (formerly Mavic Air, formerly Spark ;)) When grading my own footage I always struggled as the transfer curves and the gamut (the fidelity of the colours) are not really mathematically documented, besides high end X5S/XZ (Inspire) systems. So I developed a tool for Davinci Resolve Studio, to bring these flat DCinelike profiles or the DLog-M loggish space into something known. Colourists like to work in a colourspace which is also used by one of the most popular camera out there, the Arri Alexa, which is called logC wide gamut. Another popular colourspace pipeline is ACES. This way those drone shots can easily be matched to the main cameras. But I also built in a direct translation to watch the footage in a more expected appearance in HD colourspace Rec709 or in UHD HDR PQ Rec2020. I also have LUTs for Davinci or Premiere. Be aware that this does not involve fancy looks, but you can use other looks which are most commonly created for LogC like footage. And I included a correct exposure and flare slider, to do basic corrections. If you are interested or want to test demos, please visit demos

DJI transform HDR_complete_workflow.jpg

I confess but you totally have lost me. As an ophthalmologist, my neuro-ophthalmolgy professor once told me, the study of color vision should be an entire 2 year eye residency in itself. I guess I will just have to muddle by with my LUTs and standard correction tables in Premiere.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
As an ophthalmologist
that is great! I think the human vision and how perception works is totally fascinating. When designing colour tools, that is one of my main goals to respect how the eye with its different cones and the visual cortex work ;) Well I have to admit, that these videos are more targeted to other professional colourists, but I thought it could be useful here, too. Maybe I will create longer more educational videos for this process in future. Nothing wrong to work with LUTs in Premiere, though ;) At some point it can just limit you, for instance if you want to show your nice work on your new HDR TV set ;P I am happy to explain further.

that is great! I think the human vision and how perception works is totally fascinating. When designing colour tools, that is one of my main goals to respect how the eye with its different cones and the visual cortex work ;) Well I have to admit, that these videos are more targeted to other professional colourists, but I thought it could be useful here, too. Maybe I will create longer more educational videos for this process in future. Nothing wrong to work with LUTs in Premiere, though ;) At some point it can just limit you, for instance if you want to show your nice work on your new HDR TV set ;P I am happy to explain further.
I have watched color grading You Tube videos and they really do get complex very quickly. A video for Premiere which addresses us simpletons would be most welcome.

I will check out the demos when I receive.. Could help us a lot in post. Thx.
I await them and am, in fact, working on a new project to try them out!

Dale

A video for Premiere which addresses us simpletons would be most welcome.
I'll try to create such a video when I have time. for premiere my technical LUTs will also work. they would be the first colour effect before lumitri will affect the image. so DJI colourspace will transform to logc space. then you apply lumitri and maybe use some film style LUTs. if those luts already add contrast too you can be done. if they are loggish style luts which only affect colours you can add the logc to rec709 lut as last colour opperation (or a logc to PQ LUT if you want to watch it in HDR).

here is the hdr lut package and here the normal one.

maybe that helps already ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78