DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grading it Old school with Movie Studio

m80116

Reactions
Hello... fellow Mavic Mini pilot here.

Grading my footage I've quickly found out that... while I'd truly like to apply LUTs to my videos, I probably couldn't find anything universal that could suit my mood, my scenes, lights and so on. So I resort to manual everything instead.

Dusk_Dawn_Fx_000000_COMP.jpg

As for the software, I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (from 2013)... I don't plan a paying upgrade right now and as much as I like DaVinci Resolve to color grade my footage I am not comfortable with it, I have my small share of knowledge with MS acquired in years and I don't want to give that up and spend months learning again from the basics.

So here I am, sharing my stack to improve my drone videos with a focus on Cinema like pictures. Please consider that I've barely ever checked a tutorial and learnt most of it the hard way.

So I start with a straight out of the camera (Mavic Mini) motion picture still frame (grab), that is my base.

Dusk_Dawn_noFx_000000.jpg

After the basic RAW footage has been trimmed to length there are several passages:
  • Crop 21:9 aspect ratio (Cinemascope like)
  • Levels: pretty much self explanatory and quite conservative, I increase the gamma and touch the in/out level marginally (more to be worked upon later)
  • HF Color Temperature (it seems to introduce a bit of a reddish hue but I like it better than the Sony one)
  • Color Corrector: this helps greatly not only balancing and enhancing the colours for highlights, midtones and shadows but also gaining more gamma without impacting the midtones details
  • Color Curves: I use it to soften the highlights without flattening them or spacing them apart.
  • Glow: used with discretion can help bring back the sky before grading it, use it too much and you're in for big artifacts
  • HSL adjust: useful to give the last bit of shine to the picture
Don't tell me they're in the wrong order, but they do apply quite good in my workflow, and if I try shuffling them around I end up with unsatisfactory results.

Then... I make a copy of it all, and use it as a base for the Sony Gaussian blur filter. That (source alpha, compositing child) track layer is applied selectively with an upper track layer (multiply mask, compositing parent) with a Sony Color gradient mask applied with Fx Mask generator (Alpha). This allows me to simulate the depth of field of a 35mm Cinema camera with Guassian filter of just 0.0015 to 0.0030 range (both horizontal and vertical).

The uppermost layer is just a regular alpha channel with a Color gradient mask to better grade wider regions (e.g. skies, dark expanses).

Dusk_Dawn_Fx_000000.jpg

So far this worked ok for me and I am decently pleased with the result. I could surely improve, save for the fact that I am using outdated software, but I am far more interested in making videos rather than learning new techniques right now. I hope you can enjoy this insight into a stranger's workflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I've never even looked at colour grading, but might have to sometime.
I want to avoid going too far though, like many oversaturate photos to make them look simply unrealistic.
Your colours / changes above look good, by the way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest