DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OSMO Pocket Pricing Released

Reactions: deleted member 877
They've already used the Mavic Zoom camera on the Plus.

DJI Osmo+ – Specs, Tutorials & Guides – DJI

Very good point - I should have done the research. So now I'm wondering where the Pocket will go, keeping in mind that they won't want to be cutting into OSMO Plus sales. Maybe bring the audio component on board? But they would need to do more than just that for a version 2 release.

I'm still thinking that there will be strong demand for the one inch CMOS somewhere in the OSMO line-up.

Last edited:
Received my unit yesterday. Currently have it..... in my pocket!!
Very impressive piece of kit. Works wonderfully well. Just out getting test shots now for my full review.

My crystal ball tells me that the next version of the OSMO Pocket will have the same camera as the Mavic 2 Pro - or at least one with a 1" sensor. It will be released in 12-18 months - by that time the bugs (in the camera) will have been ironed out.

I suspect the newer versions will include zoom which is my target feature. Comments?

Very impressive piece of kit. Works wonderfully well. Just out getting test shots now for my full review.
Picture or it never happened)))

Did you order from DJI or ?

Lucky! Post up the link to the review and perhaps a picture of the unit currently to appease some who question if you are actually an early adopter.

I sorta have some dynamic range concerns in addition to some other concerns as well already based on the shill-period reviews so far. I think I'll end up with one eventually just for convenience, but I am not sold that it's some slam dunk at this point. Maybe after it is GA at retail we'll get some honest reviews that show the negatives fully as well as highlight all of the positives.

Reactions: Aussievette
Put my order in for Osmo Pocket on release day. So glad I didn't jump on the Hero 7 bandwagon. Wouldn't have active track, hyperlapse or a mechanical gimbal for stabilization. Note: also glad I didn't buy the Ronin S!

How is a camera with its own gymbal even comparable with a camera with a stabilizer?

That being said, its waaaaay too expensive down here. At $600AUD ill probably wait for more reviews, updates or even a price drop. Or maybe ask my brother in the US to buy me one and ship it down here.

Last edited:
How is a camera with its own gymbal even comparable with a camera with a stabilizer?

That being said, its waaaaay too expensive down here. At $600AUD ill probably wait more reviews, updates or even a price drop. Or maybe ask my brother in the US to buy me one and ship it down here.

The consensus seems to be that the Hero 7's digital stabilization is extremely good. One needs to consider that it wouldn't take much to damage the OSMO Pocket's mechanical gimbal. Just sayin'.

The consensus seems to be that the Hero 7's digital stabilization is extremely good. One needs to consider that it wouldn't take much to damage the OSMO Pocket's mechanical gimbal. Just sayin'.

Saw this on YouTube. If the video is too long, jump to 6:03

Also, the case seems to be hard enough to protect the gimbal. Can’t see it getting damaged any more than my mp’s gimbal or my osmo 1&2.

One is an action camera with stabilization. The other is a drone gimbal on a stick. Don’t drop the stick!
The Osmo Pocket has a strap that can be slipped over ones hand/ wrist so that any dropping of teh "stick" will result in the Osmo Pocket dangling from ones wrist. Of course you have to remember to thread your hand through that strap.

Just checked out a couple reviews. I really like it and want one but am not sure I have a use for it. I already have a hero 7 black.
Exactly! And don't even really have a use for the Hero7. That new Osmo is really cool though.

Picture or it never happened)))

Did you order from DJI or ?

Image attached - with a post-it note to prove!

I'm a reviewer so managed to get early access to a unit for review (I still paid for it, unfortunately! lol)
Been playing with it this weekend.
It is not a replacemenet for the GoPro - rather a nice camera to compliment it.
The GoPro is best for intense action shots etc, wheres I see the Pocket as a great life camera - for shooting travel, vlogs, holidays, etc - kinda like the old Flip cams on steroids!

Have updated firmware and so far everything works perfectly - no issues etc at all. Just need to test different shooting modes etc and my review will then be edited and uploaded.
Unfortunately the weather is not on my side at the moment so waiting for a break with a little sun so I can get some test shots!!!

Attachments

• Pocket.jpg
    Pocket.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 24
Some points to note:

Autofocus is a little slow, slower then other pocket cameras etc. With the GoPro theres no autofocus - everything is already in focus, but you can tap to focus with the Pocket. This can be difficult using the small screen as you can see whether your subject is properly in focus on such a small screen, but its much better when connected to the smartphone app as you can set focus much easier.

The GoPro uses the entire image to set exposure. With the Pocket it tends to use the centre of the image to set exposure for the entire image. This can be a good or bad thing depending on what you are shooting.

ActivTrack works really well, within the Gimbal constraints of course. You can set an object easily by double tapping on the display, or by drawing a box around the subject when using the phone app. Tracking works really well.

In selfie mode FaceTrack works brilliantly. Locks on straight away and stays locked. It can track 2 faces at the same time but sets one as the 'master'.

ActivTrack and FaceTrack DO NOT work at 4K/60.
Frame rate must be set to 30fps when shooting in 4K and using these features - or you can use 1080p also.

Audio is pretty decent for a unit of this size, but with loud surroundings I notice a lot of audio clipping. Need to test an external solution...….

All gimbal modes work nicely, and the menu system for switching modes etc is really simple. The swiping gestures can sometimes get irritating when you are swiping one way and another menu comes up, and takes a little practice to perfect, but otherwise all good on that front.

Phone connection works perfectly, but bear in mind if you have a thick phone case the connector may not reach! Once connected the image is displayed nice and quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: beejAMG

Well, yes and no.
GoPro's Hypersmooth is great...………...depending on how you use it...……...

If you are heading straight, on a bike or vehicle etc, then yes it works very well.
The way this works is that it locks onto parts of the image, and uses that to stabilise the rest of the shot, and it doe sthis rather aggressively, producing great results when heading in one direction.
The downside is that it tries to do this wile panning too. Fast pans are OK, but with slower pans the GoPro tries to lock on to the image, creating jerky movements that look aweful, so for panning stabilisation needs to be turned off.
I show it in this video......

Also, the case seems to be hard enough to protect the gimbal. Can’t see it getting damaged any more than my mp’s gimbal or my osmo 1&2.

Yes the case is a hard case. Soft lining to protect the device. Easily enough protection for shoving the Pocket into your...pocket!
Also has the right holes so you can leave the smartphone connector attached, as well as charge the unit

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: beejAMG
The Osmo Pocket has a strap that can be slipped over ones hand/ wrist so that any dropping of teh "stick" will result in the Osmo Pocket dangling from ones wrist. Of course you have to remember to thread your hand through that strap.

The Pocket comes with a wrist strap...……….BUT it doesn't attach to the Pocket itself. The wrist strap attaches to the top of the case - you can see the holes in the attached pic.
I cant see anywhere to attached the wrist strap to the Pocket itself?

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 13
That pricing was out several days ago. I have the Osmo and I just got the Hero 7 Black which is a great little camera and I think it does all that the new Pocket does and more. Plus you don't need an additional underwater case for it. And the Pocket is a bit pricey, as has been stated.

GoPro has no ActivTrack (even with an external gimbal solution).
GoPro has no FaceTrack.
GoPro has no Motion Timelapse.
Both units are for different use cases IMO. The GoPro for more intense action shots. The Pocket for more a life-logging type camera?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB