DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OSMO Pocket Pricing Released

Hopefully Ive answered most peoples questions ;)
My full review with sample, unedited, clips and my thoughts will be up in the next week or so, so keep an eye on my channel - link in sig.
Bear in mind I'm completely unbiased - I paid for my unit, I was not sent it by DJI as a press unit etc and I have no affiliation or contact with anyone at DJI to answer to.

I couldn't get hold of the accessories yet, but I will be reviewing all accessories (like I did with the original OSMO) in future videos ;)

Thanks for your thoughts Ifti. I've got a real bad taste in my mouth for the way that DJI deals with their pre-release products...sorry if it comes across bad to you because it's not intended to be directed to any particular person. I just feel that even if it's not explicitly stated, that most reviewers with early access know that the access train stops the moment that they don't toe the DJI-line...but that's just my impression of course.

I think that mechanical gimbals are going to rule the day right up until there is enough portable compute/memory/storage capability to fully handle >8k 360 spherical video...or enough to be able to crop a reasonable 4k field of view out of a high res 360 view. Once that arrives, then the ability to fully stabilize video on all axes becomes realistic. Furthermore, features like ActiveTrack and other tracking features become rather trivial as they are all completely implemented in software at that point. Now, all that being said, if you don't mind dealing with something akin to 720P or 1080P, then I think all of that is basically possible in the here and now. The only thing really holding all of that back today is half-baked software implementations.

Heck, just imagine a drone without a mechanical gimbal but two spherical cameras that produced even something not quite 360 today? You could easily crop out what you wanted, produce views and perspectives that would be wonderful, and have tracking features that are tough to pull off right now, plus you'd potentially have a hardier drone that might possibly withstand additional abuse without having that very fragile gimbal hanging off of it. Maybe it's just me, but I could see that being a big win if done correctly.

Thanks for your thoughts Ifti. I've got a real bad taste in my mouth for the way that DJI deals with their pre-release products...sorry if it comes across bad to you because it's not intended to be directed to any particular person. I just feel that even if it's not explicitly stated, that most reviewers with early access know that the access train stops the moment that they don't toe the DJI-line...but that's just my impression of course.

Completely appreciate this - but bear in mind I have purchased and obtained my unit from a UK retailer.
I have no actual link to anyone within DJI. They've never sent me any product for review (although I have tried, but they ignore me!! lol) so if there was something bad to say, believe me, I'd say it - just like I did with the GoPro's panning issue etc.

Nevertheless, fully appreciate your opinion and I do agree that when it comes to the big reviewers they can be influenced with what they say. I do try to limit myself from receiving products for free due to this very reason. I'd rather review products without having that 'tie-in'

Few more bits I've noticed...…...

I've been using the Pocket for a day or two here and there, waiting for a break in the weather and some sun! My only main issue so far is with the autofocus - viewing back some of my footage you can see the autofocus working in some of the shots too, which I don't like to see in the footage to be fair. When the system has something to track, like your face or a subject, then it locks focus there and everything works great with a nice depth of field effect, although when shooting in general, scenery etc, you do sometimes see the autofocus working.

When shooting 4K, the unit gets warm quickly. Not hot, but notably warm - no fan noise etc at all, unlike the original OSMO.
When using 4K/60 a message does pop up telling you the unit will heat up quickly in this mode.

When using FaceTrack, you stay perfectly in focus with a little background blur - creates a really nice effect.

Yes the case is a hard case. Soft lining to protect the device. Easily enough protection for shoving the Pocket into your...pocket!
Also has the right holes so you can leave the smartphone connector attached, as well as charge the unit

Thanks for all that.

Also, it seems a bit awkward to shoot videos whilst the phone is connected to the osmo pocket. Seems like either the phone or the osmo will fall if you dont hold it with both your hands securely. Is that true? I mean, youre basically relying on the plug to hold them together?

Thanks for all that.

Also, it seems a bit awkward to shoot videos whilst the phone is connected to the osmo pocket. Seems like either the phone or the osmo will fall if you dont hold it with both your hands securely. Is that true? I mean, youre basically relying on the plug to hold them together?

I guess this really comes down to the end user.
When the Pocket is connected to my iPhone, it does seem rather secure. By that I mean I can handle just my phone and the Pocket stays connected fine. BUT I wouldn't want to shake my phone around - or use the system holding just the handset or just the Pocket. I can't see anyone using it in this way. You'd really have to use two hands - one holding the Pocket and the other on the other end of the handset, if that makes sense. In this way its actually quite secure and works pretty well.
A certain amount of care is needed when using it in this way, but if you were to briefly remove one hand there's no fear of it just falling off by itself, it would take some shaking or a good knock for it to fall off. Fortunately the Pocket is rather light, so that certainly helps!
Does that make sense??

I guess this really comes down to the end user.
When the Pocket is connected to my iPhone, it does seem rather secure. By that I mean I can handle just my phone and the Pocket stays connected fine. BUT I wouldn't want to shake my phone around - or use the system holding just the handset or just the Pocket. I can't see anyone using it in this way. You'd really have to use two hands - one holding the Pocket and the other on the other end of the handset, if that makes sense. In this way its actually quite secure and works pretty well.
A certain amount of care is needed when using it in this way, but if you were to briefly remove one hand there's no fear of it just falling off by itself, it would take some shaking or a good knock for it to fall off. Fortunately the Pocket is rather light, so that certainly helps!
Does that make sense??

Yeah it makes a lot of sense, thanks!
Im just worries that it might be too heavy and ruin my iphone’s female connector.

Will wait for the link of your full review. Cheers mate!

PS: some of my major concerns.
1. Stability when connected to a smartphone but you already addressed that.
2. You have to buy everything as an add on. I know DJI made it very small and light but it also feels like its a money pit.
3. Is there a way to connect to a tripod?
4. Battery life. Cant use it by itself if youre gonna go on a day trip or an overnight hike or something. Can you charge it with a power bank?

Last edited:
Yes that’s correct - to get the most out of it you need to pick up some accessories. And they aren’t cheap either.
There’s an accessory kit that contains a remote mount, thumb dial, and a mount but even then since there is only one accessory port so can only connect one accessory at a time.

Saying that, the port has 8 connector pins. Only 4 are used for the smartphone mount/connection. Maybe DJI will come out with a splitter of some kind?

There is no tripod mount, and no way to mount the unit in its default form.
There is a mount that wraps around the Pocket and adds a GoPro mounting point - again an added accessory.

There is also an extension stick which connects to the accessory port allowing you to control the Pocket from the end of the stick itself.

Battery life is 2 hours at 1080/30
Much less at 4K.
To be honest I’ve been using 4K and, on and off, it did last much of the day.
And yes, you can connect a battery bank and use the Pocket as its charging too ;)

Reactions: beejAMG
Thanks heaps mate! Youve practically addressed all concerns i have at the moment.

One more thing but....
Can you do something about the price as its freaking expensive to buy it from down here. Lol

DJI is actually making it easy for me to NOT get it and just stick to my osmo mobile because of that price. If the price was about 100-150 difference from the osmo 2 then its a no-brainer.

I get thats its more of an osmo hanheld than an osmo mobile hence the price but wouldnt it be better to just get this?

DJI Osmo Handheld 4K UHD 12MP X3 Camera and Gimbal Stabiliser for Smart Phone | eBay

Cheers!

Well, for obvious reasons not having a tripod mount is something no one is going to care about.

I don't necessarily think that is true. Sure, while you're out and about, you will be carrying it around in your hand, but if you were going to do some major YouTube generation it wouldn't hurt to have a tripod mount. I use the tripod mount on both my Osmo Mobile 1 and 2 all of the time...

Reactions: deleted member 877
I don't necessarily think that is true. Sure, while you're out and about, you will be carrying it around in your hand, but if you were going to do some major YouTube generation it would hurt to have a tripod mount. I use the tripod mount on both my Osmo Mobile 1 and 2 all of the time...

Fair enough - I did not consider the YouTube thing.

I also think a tripod mount would have helped.
Consider the Timelapse, and especially the motion time-lapse features - you need to leave the unit for a certain period of time for the time-lapse to be recorded. I cant see people standing in the same place and holding it for an hour!
Its also handy for ActivTrack - with the Pocket I think the main use for ActivTrack is to track an object as you walk around or past it, or to track a subject - although mount it on a tripod and you could track yourself with Facetrack in selfie mode maybe - like a one man film crew!

Instead you have to purchase an additional mount - before you know it you've doubled the cost of the Pocket just with the extra mounts that make it a more versatile unit!

Reactions: beejAMG
Thanks heaps mate! Youve practically addressed all concerns i have at the moment.

One more thing but....
Can you do something about the price as its freaking expensive to buy it from down here. Lol

DJI is actually making it easy for me to NOT get it and just stick to my osmo mobile because of that price. If the price was about 100-150 difference from the osmo 2 then its a no-brainer.

I get thats its more of an osmo hanheld than an osmo mobile hence the price but wouldnt it be better to just get this?

DJI Osmo Handheld 4K UHD 12MP X3 Camera and Gimbal Stabiliser for Smart Phone | eBay

Cheers!

Smartphone gimbals are nice, but I don't feel they work well with smartphones that have optical image stabilisation too. It interferes with the end result and causes micro-jitter.

I'd like to see some indoor video recorded in normal settings/lighting when you get around to your full review. You know, all of the things that bring normal cameras to their knees...things like basketball games at your local high school gym, school plays/concerts, family reunions, etc. All of these little sensors look fine in nice outdoor settings (well...except for all of the blown out highlights of course!).

Reactions: Ifti
OK so apart from the compact pocket size, why would people want to purchase the OSMO Pocket if they are going to need to spend more on accessories such as the tripod mount? I'm betting that the Pocket will sell like hotcakes to people who want something really compact as their main priority - like young folk who typically travel light and will use it mainly for vlogging.

You can tell just by watching the marketing video that DJI agrees with me - there's no one over 25 in it - LOL. The target demographic will not be wanting to **** around with multiple accessories apart from probably the Selfie Stick which I predict will be the biggest selling accessory. But the other add-ons will, of course, be available for those who want to have their cake and eat it too. Just MHO.

H
Already partly retracted above but I still firmly believe that the vast majority of those who will purchase the OSMO Pocket will not be interested in using a tripod. As always IMHO. Read my latest entry #56.

Have you tried using time lapse before?
I get that the pocket has a base/bluetooth/wifi mount but if you put that on the ground itll be like antman taking the time lapse. Unless you wanna bring a coffee table with you as part of the osmo pocket accessory.

Reactions: Ifti
. .
H

Have you tried using time lapse before?
I get that the pocket has a base/bluetooth/wifi mount but if you put that on the ground itll be like antman taking the time lapse. Unless you wanna bring a coffee table with you as part of the osmo pocket accessory.

Did you actually read my posts? What I'm suggesting (again IMHO) is that most Pocket OSMO users will use it for simple stuff like vlogging and party videos. They generally won't be interested in time lapse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun