DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OSMO Pocket Pricing Released

Well, for obvious reasons not having a tripod mount is something no one is going to care about.

I dont mind people having their HUMBLE OPINIONS, its actually healthy. But to impose something on me when you obviously dont have much experience on the subject, Thats another thing. I dont wanna blow this up any bigger as this is a good thread.

Just dont forget your “IMHO” the next time you have one.

I dont mind people having their HUMBLE OPINIONS, its actually healthy. But to impose something on me when you obviously dont have much experience on the subject, Thats another thing. I dont wanna blow this up any bigger as this is a good thread.

Just dont forget your “IMHO” the next time you have one.

Well, you did just blow it up bigger didn't you?! What exactly have I imposed on you? How can you assume that I obviously don't have much experience on the subject? Photography has been a hobby of mine for decades.

All I have been doing is stating my opinions and I retracted my initial statement in regard to tripod compatibility after someone politely pointed out that it would be necessary to shoot timelapse etc.

High road.

Hopefully others with more experience with the subject can chime in.

Smartphone gimbals are nice, but I don't feel they work well with smartphones that have optical image stabilisation too. It interferes with the end result and causes micro-jitter.

I agree, and that's why I almost ALWAYS use Filmic Pro with my Osmos, but even with the stabilization disabled in the app, I still occasionally get a little jitter. If they'd just make something like the Osmo Pocket with the 1" sensor from the M2P, a 3.5mm jack for easy external audio solutions, a tripod mount, and a removable battery, even if it grew to something that couldn't accommodated by elf hands, then I'd buy that in almost a heartbeat :)

I think it looks like a nice little run and gun video cam. I'm not sure if I buy that it's really a competitor to action cameras as I've stated before, but I guess in some cases you could use it like that.

Reactions: beejAMG
I agree, and that's why I almost ALWAYS use Filmic Pro with my Osmos, but even with the stabilization disabled in the app, I still occasionally get a little jitter. If they'd just make something like the Osmo Pocket with the 1" sensor from the M2P, a 3.5mm jack for easy external audio solutions, a tripod mount, and a removable battery, even if it grew to something that couldn't accommodated by elf hands, then I'd buy that in almost a heartbeat :)

I think it looks like a nice little run and gun video cam. I'm not sure if I buy that it's really a competitor to action cameras as I've stated before, but I guess in some cases you could use it like that.

Agree with everything you said. DJI stripped everything off (to make it as compact and light as possible i reckon) but some basic necessities were also taken away. And then charge you more if you want it.

Its the only thing of its kind in the market at the moment and DJI is smart enough to know that hence they can command a high price.

Its more of an osmo handheld baby brother than an osmo mobile lil sibling. Which is another reason for the high price. In saying that though, ive posted a link from ebay that sells a brand new osmo hanheld for half the price.

Gopro is an action cam, osmo pocket is not. So im not sure if you can directly compare them to each other. Apples and oranges.

OK so apart from the compact pocket size, why would people want to purchase the OSMO Pocket if they are going to need to spend more on accessories such as the tripod mount? I'm betting that the Pocket will sell like hotcakes to people who want something really compact as their main priority - like young folk who typically travel light and will use it mainly for vlogging.

You can tell just by watching the marketing video that DJI agrees with me - there's no one over 25 in it - LOL. The target demographic will not be wanting to **** around with multiple accessories apart from probably the Selfie Stick which I predict will be the biggest selling accessory. But the other add-ons will, of course, be available for those who want to have their cake and eat it too. Just MHO.

I think its the small size that really appeals. When you think of it, and handle it, its rather incredible.
However, does that make it a great device? - well that's subjective and depends on the end user. Whats important to note is that although its marketed as a handheld device (no mounting points and can only be mounted with extra accessories) its not really handheld either. Its more 'finger held' if that makes sense. Its too small to hold comfortably in your hand. The buttons are half way down the device, so to operate them and use the Pocket you end up using your fingers to hold it more then anything. Nevertheless, it still seems to work as a run-and-gun kinda device. I can see myself taking the kids out and pulling out the OSMO Pocket here and there for the odd bit of video and then whacking it back into my pocket for easy carrying. Its ideal for situations like that rather then for full on proper videography work......
Just my 2p....

Another really crazy thing to me (and continuing in the line of "DJI...what were you thinking"-type decisions), is that immediately when the thing was released I noticed on their specs the lack of frame rate options, specifically 120FPS @ 1080P, but then I saw Photokina's little gushfest about it and he had clips from the camera at just that frame rate. Well, now in a recently release Q&A by that guy, he says that DJI told him that he can only do it because it's on Pre-Release firmware and that it will NOT be available in shipping firmware. It's just cray-cray...

Reactions: Advexure
I'd rather turn down the opportunity then be told by DJI what I can and cannot do!
I have the full retail version, although there was a firmware update as soon as I connected the camera to the app for the first time. Haven't got any release notes but the update enabled some quick options for the mode button (1 tap cycles between photo and video, 2 taps re-centre's the gimbal, 3 taps enter or exit selfie mode) and also put the gimbal into the correct orientation for the case when switching off. I didn't notice any other differences, including the resolutions etc.

Resolution options are only 4K and 1080p.
4K at 60 or 30 - although at 60 the unit heats up rather quick (doesn't seem to overheat, although Ive only been taking short clips) and also ActivTrack/FaceTrack do not work at 4k/60 either.

Just polishing off the last bits of my review - should be up in the next day or so ;)

Reactions: beejAMG
Cant seem to watch straight from the attachment but when I clicked on your yourube page worked nicely.

Perfect review and pretty much touched every single concern one may have if their in the market. Thanks amd more great reviews in the future. Subscribed.

Reactions: Ifti
Another really crazy thing to me (and continuing in the line of "DJI...what were you thinking"-type decisions), is that immediately when the thing was released I noticed on their specs the lack of frame rate options, specifically 120FPS @ 1080P, but then I saw Photokina's little gushfest about it and he had clips from the camera at just that frame rate. Well, now in a recently release Q&A by that guy, he says that DJI told him that he can only do it because it's on Pre-Release firmware and that it will NOT be available in shipping firmware. It's just cray-cray...

Our beta FW on all of ours has not had 120/1080p. Only 30 and 60 FPS for both 1080p and 4K.

OSMO Pockets have landed at Advexure, available 12/12! :D

DJI-Osmo-Pocket-Advexure.jpg

This morning I got tracking number. Delivery from China on 12/14

[emoji1360] enjoy it! Make sure you update the firmware when you receive it. New FW adds a few nice enhancements.

I'm going to pick mine up today, but the boss says I can't really "have" it until Christmas! :'-(

Still waiting on accessories!!

Cute little thing. Takes some effort to navigate the menus without iPhone. But with iPhone attached it’s silly easy and fun.
I even attached it to 12” iPad Pro. Super.
91C6CA55-3A8B-45BD-A1E6-A5BBAD63528F.jpeg

I have an iPad that takes Fantastic pics and video...... why would I spend 300 plus for this device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d