DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outdoor Mavic signal repeater for flying long range indoors on your big screen display

Already tried... with following result Precision Landing and elevated take off point
If the ground around the pad is not flat, for an area that has to be large enough, compared with the photo the mavic takes, mavic is fooled and precise landing won't work correctly.
Therefore, you have to land manually.

And I LOVE the purpose built landing pad, brilliant!!! :D

House looks amazing and makes me jealous sparky. Very cool and a life long dream of mine to live like that.

Reactions: davmcw
Thank you for all the great replies on this. .....Of course my wife is on the balcony with high powered spotting binoculars.... :)

OMG Man! Delete this! The FAA clearly says, "...LOS...without the aid of any optical device beyond ordinary glasses or contacts..." High powered binoculars could have the FAA at your door. But I HAVE an obvious solution! A very high power, light weight strobe light that attaches to the drone and can be seen for miles even in the daylight!

Then you'll be able to always spot it. If night flying legally ever became possible such a strong flash could give literal LOS out to the horizon. I might patent this idea: "A sleazy work around to a goofy law requiring LOS to a drone. A high brightness, light weight, short pulse strobe light extends visibility to many miles." I'll get rich.

A problem though. In between strobe flashes, can you still maintain you have LOS? LOL. No laughing this is serious business!

Reactions: colinfowler
How about taking apart the remote and extending the distance between all the buttons, potentiometers and the LCD screen from the circuit board. That way the main circuit and antennae could be located high on the mast in a weatherproof housing. This would eliminate signal losses from running long coax lengths up the mast. However, this extension would require many long wires, especially for the LCD screen.

Reactions: Snowstorm
HOW ABOUT THIS:
A second 'Airlift' drone to lift your Remote and Screen to 200ft or so- and WIFI Mirror Down to a Screen on yr PC or other Phone- with Sodtware Remotes - Like DJI Offers
That Way all you need is a Short wifi connection to Yr RC which is 200ft in the SKY - AND you can see where its going - and Remotely control from yr PC...
JUst a Thought - … But this is SURELY Possible-

----

Now Lets take that a step FURTHER !!!!
TODAY... I tested Lifting a SKYPE connection from My Phone (Which was Carried By My DRONE) Phone Viewing DOwnward - but skype connection through a SMALL LTE internet connection it was also Lifting.
SUCCESS from that was the INTERNET connection - of Beautiful Clear VIDEO - from my SKylifted Phone...

----

Now Putting it all together...

There is No Reason WHy such a Connection could not work VIA A VNC or the old style PC-ANYWHERE remote connection to the first Option above- Where a Dummy Airlifter drone COuld Just Hang out two KM distance and 400ft in the SKY HALF WAY from you to where the CONTROLLED DRONE would Operate...

So Putting it all together Simply based on above:
You need Yr Phone, RC hooked Up (As normal) - but yr Phone Internet Linked to a Portanble LTE ROuter - Which would Have its Litchi or DJI screens with software sticks to be MIRRORED via Internet to you Home PC:

This RC Package is Now Airlifted by a 2nd (maybe cheaper) drone to a Point Midway and High - … and streams the MIRROR of its Phone Via LTE - (wide range wifi) Via Internet to pretty much anywhere in the world-

You could COntrol the RC Package and Hence the MAIN drone from Home that way and Be a SEE ALL Line of sight to virtually 5km radius from the RC.

So a typical flight for Example …
Take off Your Main drone with RC in Hand- to a safe Place...
Then hook up (Literally) your RC and LTE router and airlift it - in a Bag or Whatever - FLying to Midway of where you intend flying... rmemeber this RC is now mirroring itself from the LTE(Internet) connection IP address-
and Picked up on your PC back home-

Now Fly the TWO Drones - One stays Stationary 2km away and 200-400 ft up and the Other MAIN drone is Sending All its video to the Airlifter - which then mirrors yr live feed home - …

Okay that's wild thinking but it will work

Then Hook the RC

Right on Sparky,
This is exactly the set up idea I was thinking about. Big screen, in my living room controlling my Mavic over extremely far distances. Only I was also wanting to create a cockpit type of controller setup with a variable speed throttle, a separate multifunctional cycle controller and foot pedals for rotational control.
I'm still working on the same issues you're obviously dealing with.
Sometimes the answer to our problems is not the high tech answer, when all else is not doing the trick, go back to basics and experiment "HACKING" with old school stuff. It's worked for me in the past for several projects. I made a 9 volt powered wireless mini spy color camera with sound operate over a distance of over 2500 ft from my house while watching the feed on my TV in the livingroom. I took the antenna off the cameras receiver and put it on a coax line that went to an old satellite dish on the roof. Inline I experimented with a cable booster and "HOLY CHIT" it went from 150 ft range to "I'm freakin a half mile away from my house".
Try something different like when you used to grab free internet from your distant neighbors using a yagi antenna. before they started using security encrypted routers. I'm not saying to use a yagi per se I'm just saying try experimenting with some of your old technology sitting around. Maybe you'll get lucky and come up with an answer for all of us. Hell I'm trying all the time when time allows.

Good thread and keep us posted on this

Thanks

Nick

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov