DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Over water flight

mstef66

Reactions
I have read a lot about flying over water and the use of the bottom sensors.
I have flown over water and always have this in mind but I am flying high above the surface.

At what height above the water surface should this sensor question be a concern?

Can I fly 20 feet above the surface without concern?

Thanks,

Mike

At what height above the water surface should this sensor question be a concern?
Any height where it's hard to tell if the Mavic is going to accidentally touch the surface of the water.

That means it would be safest if you can clearly see the Mavic with your eyes when flying very close to the surface (if you must for some reason) and should keep it high enough so there's no question as to if the Mavic is going to touch the surface of the water. The Mavic doesn't make quick downward movements, so it's not going to just drop into the water.

Yes.

Great feedback, this is kind of what I was thinking.
I have no reason to get that close.
I wanted to film my granddaughter tubing on a boat but I was new and nervous.
Next summer I should have much more confidence.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Monochromatic surfaces such as water, snow: areas without patterns can cause positioning errors when the Visual Position System is enabled. The Mavic uses GPS, Ultrasonic, and VPS to maintain stability. I'm sure many fly with everything enabled. It's certainly something to keep in mind while flying.

Reactions: Flyboy1950
I have flown over water and always have this in mind but I am flying high above the surface.

Thanks,

Mike

Look my video, At some moment I was only 1 meter from the water

Yea I've flown a few feet above water/snow many times without ever an issue, all sensors on. The only thing I've done is turn off landing protection at times.

It would seem if you're that close to the water surface the down draft would pattern the water making it discernible to the downward cameras.

Yea I've flown a few feet above water/snow many times without ever an issue, all sensors on. The only thing I've done is turn off landing protection at times.
Isn't the theory that water reflects stronger leading the ultrasonics to report a closer distance so the bird lands?

You seem smart....

What is the issue with the sensors sensing the water? Is OP concerned with just getting an error? I am confused.

ahh gotcha... but you can just fly up im assuming and your good to go?
There were many early reports of Mavics self-landing in water, which I believe was attributed to Precision Landing being *on* + low altitude over the water, like under 5M (or something like that). I tend to kill all downward sensors when flying low over water.

There were many early reports of Mavics self-landing in water, which I believe was attributed to Precision Landing being *on* + low altitude over the water, like under 5M (or something like that). I tend to kill all downward sensors when flying low over water.

oh **** for real? What about near the ocean since the water is moving?

The issue that I faced is that the MP just stop ! Like if there was a wall.
I had this happen also. Turn off your forward collision sensors. The MP gets confused by the sun and reflected sun so it sometimes will just stop when flying toward the sun over water. Over water you don't need the forward sensors anyway.

My only comment on the downward-facing sensors is that I keep reading that they may not be effective or can have false readings over water.

Isn't the theory that water reflects stronger leading the ultrasonics to report a closer distance so the bird lands?
Lots of theories. No actual incidents ever been proven to a water "landing" to be caused by the sensors from what I've seen. But precision landing on can cause some odd behaviors, but none that cause the drone to land. There is a YouTube video with experiments, and only with sensors OFF does the pilot actually have to save the drone from hitting the water. With sensors on it never gets close enough to have to be saved.

Thanks,

Mike
I live in Cancun and often fly and video people engaged in water sports such as kiteboarding, parasailing, etc. I keep all my sensors on but I also always keep the drone within sight. You need to remember when on the oceans (different somewhat than lakes), that waves can cause the "bottom" to come up or drop several feet. During some storms that I videoed I first hovered the drone at about 20 feet off the water with my finger on the left joystick ready to raise the drone if needed. I then watched the wave action in relation to the drone and realized that at wave crest I need to be at 5 meters but after the wave I could drop down to 2 meters. So I would set at 2 meters, do my filming while keeping an eye on the wave and then would raise the MP as the wave formed. It took some practice but it worked. HOWEVER, a good friend of mine with several drones was filming a surfer from about 2 meters above water height and was not watching the wave formation and the wave curled over his drone and the drone disappeared into the ocean.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31