DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panning/turning Mavic for slow smooth video capture - mid way stutter/pause

I think it is a software issue. Have you tried using a different device or a different Go 4 version? If DJI flew it with your controller and did not experience the same problem then the only difference would be Go 4 and the device they were running it on (I don't think the location would cause this). Did DJI ask what version of Go 4 you were using or what you were using it on? DJI seems reluctant to admit that Go 4 is problematic but given all the problems a simple update causes some people, that is where my intuition leads me. Go 4 has an "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" setting that is supposed to dampen the gimbal yaw and you can try turning it on or off and see if that makes any difference. The fact that Go 4 has the ability to adjust the camera yaw also allows it to screw up the camera yaw.

Sorry for the rant but, Go 4, GRRRR:mad:! I sympathize with DJI software developers and understand the difficulties of cramming so many features into a program that is supposed to work on so many different devices, but I would think they could test Go 4 on at least the top 50 devices. Heck, even the top 25 would be good.
As they were flying in an enclosed warehouse they would have been flying in ATTI mode. Indeed Go 4 is a pain - I dont think very well optimised and I haven't updated in 6 months as it's working on iPad mini 2 very well with my P4P and I don't wanna break it.

So, a new twist, stick with me here guys, I decided to look at (my cutting room floor) and while trolling through snippets of video I happened across some footage from my action cam (Sony FDR-X3000) I noticed the same issue, I am now checking my stock footage folder, this is where I store all raw footage from the mavic and the sony, although this issue seems to be apparent on stock video from two different sources, it is not happening on all, this also does not happen on a whole batch of video clips from the same shoot but rather some random element that just pops up like a crazed gremlin, add to this the many reports that DJI have returned drones with reports of no issue suggests that we might be barking up the wrong tree. I am still no wiser but am now thinking, frame rate, graffix settings or random frequency fucktuations!

So, a new twist, stick with me here guys, I decided to look at (my cutting room floor) and while trolling through snippets of video I happened across some footage from my action cam (Sony FDR-X3000) I noticed the same issue, I am now checking my stock footage folder, this is where I store all raw footage from the mavic and the sony, although this issue seems to be apparent on stock video from two different sources, it is not happening on all, this also does not happen on a whole batch of video clips from the same shoot but rather some random element that just pops up like a crazed gremlin, add to this the many reports that DJI have returned drones with reports of no issue suggests that we might be barking up the wrong tree. I am still no wiser but am now thinking, frame rate, graffix settings or random frequency fucktuations!
Perhaps you could upload raw footage (without edit) directly to Youtube, or play in your editing suite using proxies (low-res synced version of your video) to confirm if it's a "local" PC issue with high res playback? If you do upload raw to Youtube and provide link I;m happy to check

58 to 105 is jumping for me, not the best quality footage though for some reason, today has been cloudy and thunderstorms, I will gather some fresh footage as soon as we see some sunshine and re post.
Youtube vid 58 to 105 looked smooth to me.

Just to bump this thread with a video - any comments welcome

You can try swapping the cable that plugs into the Remote Controller.

You can also calibrate the sticks on the Remote Controller using DJIGO4

Yes, yes yes, done all that..... It has the same issue when I fly without the phone attached. Calibrated the remote more times than you can count.

You have a dead spot on the Remote Controller stick. Could be device related as well. Borrow another device . Install DJIGO4 and see if results are the same.

You have a dead spot on the Remote Controller stick. Could be device related as well. Borrow another device . Install DJIGO4 and see if results are the same.
I'm not moving the stick. It's pressed over by my thumb. And it happens in the other direction. Device related is what I want DJI to help me with :)

I think you have a strong case that DJI should support. That is if the very same thing happens with a different cable and different device. Need to isolate the issue to the Remote Controller and / or Mavic.

The controller sticks use Hall Sensors. You can’t get a dead spot on this type of sensor unless you’ve done something odd with magnets around the RC.

The controller sticks use Hall Sensors. You can’t get a dead spot on this type of sensor unless you’ve done something odd with magnets around the RC.
That's interesting, thanks.

I've found your problem interesting. I flew my MPP earlier to see if I could duplicate your problem. I experienced no problem at first and then suddenly my MPP froze. And it stayed froze. I then noticed that I had lost my RC connection (even though it was only about 20 feet away). After additional testing, I never noticed the problem. Note that I was flying in a very rural area where the only other radio devices are my own WIFI devices and there are only my own buildings to create signal reflections.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but I think there is an explanation for this behavior that does not involve a fault in the system, either in the drone or the RC controller.

What kind of environment are you flying in when you observe this 'yaw hesitation'? If you are flying in a relatively urban area, this could be an environmental problem.

We all like to think the the control connection from our RC device to the drone is ultra reliable, but it is not. This system uses a digital communications link with error detection and correction functions. It is entirely normal for errors to occur. If enough errors occur in a short time, it is possible that the system will experience short losses of control that are too short for the system to report them on the user display. When these short term losses of control happen, the drone will freeze for a short time. This could be your problem.

In an urban environment, there is a much higher noise floor and the relatively higher power of the RC unit, compared to using WIFI control, could be causing a high level of multi-path interference resulting in short term control loss. Ironically, the lower power of the WIFI connection may be more reliable in the short range. The DJI control system uses linearly polarized radiation which is well known to be susceptible to multi-path errors. That is why all those who fly FPV with linear video transmitters use circularly polarized transmissions for the video signal: it's far less sensitive to multi-path interference.

I suggest trying to fly in a remote location where your system is the only RC device around for a considerable distance and without any structures nearby and see if the problem has gone away.

NIck

I've found your problem interesting.

I suggest trying to fly in a remote location where your system is the only RC device around for a considerable distance and without any structures nearby and see if the problem has gone away.

NIck
Thanks for the suggestion Nick. As I said in the video, I've experienced this problem in all sorts of situations - 400 feet above a reservoir in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales with no buildings at all within a mile is probably the most remote place I've flown, and it happened there.

The other thing is that if I combine two movements, for example flying forwards with yawing the aircraft, when the freeze occurs it is the yaw that stops, but the forward motion continues. In those circumstances I don't understand why should it always be the yaw that freezes, not the forward motion (also the upward, downward and side to side motion) if this is a signal malfunction.

I could trawl through my footage and find other examples, but as I don't keep the rubbish takes spoiled by this issue it will probably be quicker to try and shoot some more in an open field near where I live, which I'll do today, time and weather permitting.

Before I got the replacement from DJI I tried investigating the data from the drone and thought that this was a problem with the gimbal compass. I've attached a video of the analysis I made at that time. Of course, I could have been wrong about my identification of the data streams from the drone, but if I'm not, then I can see no issue with the yaw signal reaching the drone.

When the new drone came back, I assumed it would eliminate that part of the puzzle, but perhaps as Thunderdrones has suggested, I've got another dud.

Which again makes me wonder how many people have this issue but aren't aware of it, or are led to believe it is a TX/RX or video issue.

ADDED - but, as has just occurred to me, if this was a problem with the gimbal compass, that would also happen with wifi, would it not?

Last edited:
What firmware version?

I've had the yaw stop randomly the same way when giving slow yaw orders as well pretty much forever. They're rare enough that it didn't bother me much. Certainly a bug somewhere and nothing that's unit-related.

What firmware version?

I've had the yaw stop randomly the same way when giving slow yaw orders as well pretty much forever. They're rare enough that it didn't bother me much. Certainly a bug somewhere and nothing that's unit-related.
However many versions of firmware there have been since last April - currently on the latest.

Thanks for that information. If this was relatively rare then I'd be able to live with it. If anything, this new aircraft is doing it more - assuming that is the cause.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown