DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panorama

audi2000

Reactions
I uploaded the panorama files from an M2P and got this distorted image. Pano0009
A while back I uploaded this file and it is a normal panorama. Salvonc (10)
Any help to figure out why the upload is now distorted is appreciated.

I took ten panos and different heights and only a select few came out perfect , others that were closer to the ground got more distorted but still useable. You have to find your sweet spot for taking the Panos .

If you notice the second picture was completely different, height, camera angle and focus, some shots will never come out right if you dont find the blend.

You can practice by taking 10 panos each a different height and adjusting the camera angle. The change in distortion will become very apparent the lower you go and the more angled the camera angle.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and capture the storm.
Air 2S Wet Suit New Red- 3 (1 of 1)-36.jpg

Some of the problem is stitching, but most of it is the projection. If you take the individual image files saved while shooting the panorama you will probably have better results using stitching software that allows you to select different projections.

I use PTGUI Pro, which is very capable but expensive.

I used to use Hugin which is free, but has a quirkier interface. I suggest starting with it (because it's free) and seeing what you can do.

I think the Mavic uses just equirectangular projections, which can produce noticeable distrotion in some views. I find that often the Vedutismo projection works better:

I think Photoshop can handle different projections (don't use it so I don't know).

Reactions: EricJT and audi2000
I have no idea about kuula.
Does your original Panno009 image have the correct width to depth ration of 2:1?
It looks like it does not.
Where as; Salvonc(10) probably does have a ratio of 2:1.

A full 360 pano from an M2P will produce 25 or more images.
When stitched the result will probably not be the correct ratio so you have to edit the file in something like GIMP.

Many stitching programs will not accept the DNG format. I think that, it is something to do with the fact that the files are not pictures as we understand a picture to be.
You either shoot in jpg in the first place or convert DNG to another format (RawTherapee) before trying to stitch them.

I use MS ICE and stick with jpg files as the originals. After stitching I use GIMP to resize and scale to a the correct ratio width to height. (twice as wide as it is tall) Then use Rioch Theta or Insta 360 to view.
You can fill in the sky with a false ceiling if you want, and/or use skyfill to do the job
but unless you have a clear blue sky there is always a trace of something not quite right.
Skyfill does allow you to create a mirror globe in the sky above the photo position if you wish.

Some of the problem is stitching, but most of it is the projection. If you take the individual image files saved while shooting the panorama you will probably have better results using stitching software that allows you to select different projections.

I use PTGUI Pro, which is very capable but expensive.

I used to use Hugin which is free, but has a quirkier interface. I suggest starting with it (because it's free) and seeing what you can do.

I think the Mavic uses just equirectangular projections, which can produce noticeable distrotion in some views. I find that often the Vedutismo projection works better:

I think Photoshop can handle different projections (don't use it so I don't know).
Thanks for the replies. I used the PTGUI and it worked. So, something with Kuula is not right.

I have no idea about kuula.
Does your original Panno009 image have the correct width to depth ration of 2:1?
It looks like it does not.
Where as; Salvonc(10) probably does have a ratio of 2:1.

A full 360 pano from an M2P will produce 25 or more images.
When stitched the result will probably not be the correct ratio so you have to edit the file in something like GIMP.

Many stitching programs will not accept the DNG format. I think that, it is something to do with the fact that the files are not pictures as we understand a picture to be.
You either shoot in jpg in the first place or convert DNG to another format (RawTherapee) before trying to stitch them.

I use MS ICE and stick with jpg files as the originals. After stitching I use GIMP to resize and scale to a the correct ratio width to height. (twice as wide as it is tall) Then use Rioch Theta or Insta 360 to view.
You can fill in the sky with a false ceiling if you want, and/or use skyfill to do the job
but unless you have a clear blue sky there is always a trace of something not quite right.
Skyfill does allow you to create a mirror globe in the sky above the photo position if you wish.
The MP2 created 26 images. The Pgui worked, so something quirky with Kuula.

I took ten panos and different heights and only a select few came out perfect , others that were closer to the ground got more distorted but still useable. You have to find your sweet spot for taking the Panos .

If you notice the second picture was completely different, height, camera angle and focus, some shots will never come out right if you dont find the blend.

You can practice by taking 10 panos each a different height and adjusting the camera angle. The change in distortion will become very apparent the lower you go and the more angled the camera angle.

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 137227
Don't believe height is a factor. This is from inside my barn. Barn 1918 Speedster 1927 ModelT 1932 Model A 1926 Model T

The MP2 created 26 images. The Pgui worked, so something quirky with Kuula.
The jpegs coming from the drone are not 2:1 all the time. Because you mentioned that fact I went back and found that the 2:1 files worked fine. But, now the question is why does the MP2 apparently randomly record a panorama jpeg other than 2:1.

The jpegs coming from the drone are not 2:1 all the time. Because you mentioned that fact I went back and found that the 2:1 files worked fine. But, now the question is why does the MP2 apparently randomly record a panorama jpeg other than 2:1.
The distorted panorama isn't a spherical panorama. Kuula is trying to make it one, which is why you see the distortion.

Keep in mind that the equirectangular projection is used for spherical panoramas, but is it also used for other panoramas as well, that don't cover the full 360° x 180° that a spherical pano does.

Looking at the first (distorted) pano, I'm wondering if you accidentally picked one of the other panorama options when you shot the pano? Or alternately, when you used PTGUI you accidentally changed the output to less than 360°?

The original 360 panorama jpeg files, sometimes 25; and sometimes 26 will not be in a 2:1 ratio. The number will vary depending on the amount of overlap required to take the full panorama.
The drone does look down but does not look up, so there is a hole above in the full panorama.

A stitching program looks for points of similarity in the overlap parts of the images and uses those to blend/patch the interim image from the basic photos.
I say interim image, because although as much as possible of the available detail is included in this image, much of the detail has been disregarded and cropped away.
To view this image in a pano viewer without distortion requires the top hole to be plugged/filled with detail which was not recorded.

This image below is a result of stitching 25 original images but is of the wrong proportion (2.7:1) to view without distortion.
SmPANO0278_stitch.jpg

This images has been adjusted in GIMP to be in a 2:1 width to height ratio and the additional clear space on top filled with a false sky.
This will view in something like RicohTheta as a full pano without distortion. albeit the image quality has been reduced by a factor of 10 to fit on this page.SmPANO0278_stitch-filled.jpg

Audi2000
The original pano file created by the drone and saved in the DCIM folder will have a 2:1 ratio and a false image sky.
This file was created by the drone.
SmDJI_0278.JPG

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 137227
Great shot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini