DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Parallel Battery Charge A2S

RealSting

Reactions
Today was the first time I used the LYONGTECH Parallel Battery Charger for my Air 2S (charger pictured below) - I think many of you here have this same charger just maybe under a different name. I wanted to use the storage mode: The instructions say upon reaching storage charge (between 11.5 - 11.9V) the charger will enter a stage were it will balance the battery charge for a further 20 mins or so and when this is finished, the Charger light (on top of the Charger), will be a solid Green. I'm only charging 3 batteries so the 4th battery port is empty. The charger continues to check all ports as it usually does by flashing though all the ports during the charge/discharge process - but here's the problem: If its continually flashing its status lights through all the ports, how on earth does one know if the Balancing stage is completed as the battery will never be a solid green?!!! I waited the 20 mins, but I then noticed after that time the status panel on the charger showed the charge to be Zero. I assumed the charger had finished with the batteries so unplugged them! This is not mentioned in the literature. How do people use the storage mode and know when to unplug their batteries? Hope this made sense!

Attachments

• 714E091D-30D3-410A-A7E0-2DD88D7FB00D_1_201_a.jpeg
    714E091D-30D3-410A-A7E0-2DD88D7FB00D_1_201_a.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 14
On my "Hanatora" branded variant of that charger (for the Mavic Air 1) ... the drill for storage charge is to first set the charger to storage mode, then manually turn the batteries on & after that place them in the charger. They then charge up or discharge down to storage voltage (either 2 solid leds or 2 solid & one blinking) ... When the charger is done the batteries times out & turns off due to inactivity after a while (5min perhaps). There I remove them.

Reactions: Faster and AVLJMA
On my "Hanatora" branded variant of that charger (for the Mavic Air 1) ... the drill for storage charge is to first set the charger to storage mode, then manually turn the batteries on & after that place them in the charger. They then charge up or discharge down to storage voltage (either 2 solid leds or 2 solid & one blinking) ... When the charger is done the batteries times out & turns off due to inactivity after a while (5min perhaps). There I remove them.
That’s exactly what I did and noticed the charger also said zero (0v) on its display panel. Wish they’d written that in the manual, even if it is bad English! I also noticed I got a small spark as I attached of my batteries to the contacts on the charger - I’m thinking it’s perhaps not a good idea to turn the batteries on first but perhaps turn them on after attaching them to the charger?

That’s exactly what I did and noticed the charger also said zero (0v) on its display panel. Wish they’d written that in the manual, even if it is bad English! I also noticed I got a small spark as I attached of my batteries to the contacts on the charger - I’m thinking it’s perhaps not a good idea to turn the batteries on first but perhaps turn them on after attaching them to the charger?
Are you saying you started the Battery up while on the Charger. ?
I have never gotten sparks as that is no good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Are you saying you started the Battery up while on the Charger. ?
I have never gotten sparks as that is no good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
No, I followed the manufactures instructions and turned the batteries on first before attaching them. My point is that turning the battery on first may have caused that small spark when I attached the battery to the charger. The battery seemed to discharge ok and thus far I’ve not seen any error light sequences, I’m guessing it’s ok? .. I hope!

Last edited:
That is correct.

Can one of you who is more "in the know" remind me how often one should put even active batteries in "storage" mode? Thanks.

I've just used my charger for the second time (and it is an Hanatora brand, just wasn't advertised as such), and the batteries in ports 2 and 3 had finished charging but their battery LED 1 is blinking 2 times a second. The battery in Port 1 was not blinking at all and also finished charging. They were all placed on the charger at the same time and have the same number of charges (all, have only been used 3 to 4 times in the last month when I purchased my drone). I cannot see any information on a flashing LED 1 light when charing! Upon taking the batteries off, they all reported 4 SOLID LED's. The charger reported all GREEN lights when I took the batteries off. Any ideas anyone?

Here's a video of what I saw:

Last edited:
Oh yes it is LED 3 !! So what does it mean for the batteries? Is it damaged? It’s hardly been used! It flew fine today. 3.7v on all cells I noticed as I landed on one of them.

Well ... without any guarantees, but what happened seems to be that the batteries BMS activated the safety function for overcharging, so most probably nothing happened to the battery. Just strange that the charger didn't stopped charging before that happened. Perhaps try the same charge slot with other batteries ... maybe the overcharge threshold is a tad to tight set on those batteries that got the overcharge protection tripped.

Well ... without any guarantees, but what happened seems to be that the batteries BMS activated the safety function for overcharging, so most probably nothing happened to the battery. Just strange that the charger didn't stopped charging before that happened. Perhaps try the same charge slot with other batteries ... maybe the overcharge threshold is a tad to tight set on those batteries that got the overcharge protection tripped.
I'm not entirely sure but it looks like you may be right.. after flying today I put my batteries back on using the storage mode (using the same battery ports on the charger), and it worked just fine with charger shutting off at a 2 solid LED's and 3rd LED blinking. So as you say, it could be that 2 of my batteries have a 'tight threshold' on the overcharge protection thingy?! However, I'm still within my return (on amazon) on the charger, what would you guys do?

...I put my batteries back on using the storage mode (using the same battery ports on the charger), and it worked just fine...
I'm not sure you can draw any conclusion from that ... the full charge voltage & the storage charge voltage are on very different levels.

The batteries BMS should only react with an overcharge error when the cells are on the way to go over the max allowed voltage.

The storage charge cut-off functionality are provided by the charger itself ... & that cell voltage is way lower than the max allowed cell voltage where the BMS sense overcharge conditions.

If you want to test ... you should fully charge the battery.

Reactions: Faster
I'm not sure you can draw any conclusion from that ... the full charge voltage & the storage charge voltage are on very different levels.

The batteries BMS should only react with an overcharge error when the cells are on the way to go over the max allowed voltage.

The storage charge cut-off functionality are provided by the charger itself ... & that cell voltage is way lower than the max allowed cell voltage where the BMS sense overcharge conditions.

If you want to test ... you should fully charge the battery.
so what you’re saying is that it could be the batteries? Hmmm.. all 3 were fine and I didn’t get that overcharge error when using the DJI charger before I recieved the multi charger. I will test again on the DJI charger, if I get the same issue, then surly the problem points to the battery. I understand your point regarding storage charge vs normal charge.

so what you’re saying is that it could be the batteries?...
No... I'm saying you can't compare a storage charge with a full charge as they charge to different voltage levels... & an overcharge error should only be initiated when the cell voltage goes higher than the max allowed for that battery, a storage charge only goes half way... something like 3,7-3,85V.

Usually it's the batteries BMS that request what it needs for the charge... the charger just provides, so that points to the battery itself. But if the error doesn't occur on the original charger, & also other batteries gets that error in the same slot on the Hanatora charger... it indicate that something is going on with the charger.

If you're willing to test different scenarios, you need to use the full charge mode.

No... I'm saying you can't compare a storage charge with a full charge as they charge to different voltage levels... & an overcharge error should only be initiated when the cell voltage goes higher than the max allowed for that battery, a storage charge only goes half way... something like 3,7-3,85V.

Usually it's the batteries BMS that request what it needs for the charge... the charger just provides, so that points to the battery itself. But if the error doesn't occur on the original charger, & also other batteries gets that error in the same slot on the Hanatora charger... it indicate that something is going on with the charger.

If you're willing to test different scenarios, you need to use the full charge mode.
Thank you.

I did a full charge on all 3 batteries on my original DJI charger, they were all fine, no flashing LED's or LED's on when charge was completed! Guess it's the Charger?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan