DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107. Cannot figure this out!

SkyInsight

Reactions
Alright so i've been studying for about 2 weeks now. I think I could pass right now honestly if I did do it. But I still cant figure this out. Its starting to make me mad cause I really cannot wrap my head around it like at all. Lol so ok. Lets say the question is this...(common practice test question that keeps popping up on every one I take)
You are flying near an airport and over your radio, you hear a incoming pilot say "Left Downwind for Runway One Six." This means that the aircraft is on a heading of...?

Or this one....

While monitoring the Cooperstown CTAF you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?​

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple hours now lol. I cant seem to understand it for some reason. I know that downwind is going with the wind in the same direction as it and the Left means that the runway is on the pilots left and it is the traffic pattern that he is using. So he will be making a left turn onto 16 or 13. Also the announced runway is for our examples, 160 degrees and 130 degrees. The announced runways are the spot hes going to land. When I draw it out on paper, I never get the same answer as whats supposed to be right.

I'm drawing out the compass with 0 as North, 90 East, 180 South, 270 West. Its like somehow I'm thinking of the whole process wrong.

Please if anyone can help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to test soon but questions like this make me question if I'm ready.

Also I've found conflicting answers on different tests about notifying the FAA for address changes for your sUAS registration. Is it 14 days or 30 days that you have to notify them by?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Alright so i've been studying for about 2 weeks now. I think I could pass right now honestly if I did do it. But I still cant figure this out. Its starting to make me mad cause I really cannot wrap my head around it like at all. Lol so ok. Lets say the question is this...(common practice test question that keeps popping up on every one I take)
You are flying near an airport and over your radio, you hear a incoming pilot say "Left Downwind for Runway One Six." This means that the aircraft is on a heading of...?

Or this one....

While monitoring the Cooperstown CTAF you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?​

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple hours now lol. I cant seem to understand it for some reason. I know that downwind is going with the wind in the same direction as it and the Left means that the runway is on the pilots left and it is the traffic pattern that he is using. So he will be making a left turn onto 16 or 13. Also the announced runway is for our examples, 160 degrees and 130 degrees. The announced runways are the spot hes going to land. When I draw it out on paper, I never get the same answer as whats supposed to be right.

I'm drawing out the compass with 0 as North, 90 East, 180 South, 270 West. Its like somehow I'm thinking of the whole process wrong.

Please if anyone can help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to test soon but questions like this make me question if I'm ready.

Also I've found conflicting answers on different tests about notifying the FAA for address changes for your sUAS registration. Is it 14 days or 30 days that you have to notify them by?

Here's a good answer to your question, with diagrams, if needed.

RWY 13

As for the address change notification to the FAA, it should be 30 days, according to the FAA site, located here.

(Disclaimer: I don't have my Part 107 yet, I'm just a google warrior, so don't trust my responses).

Rob

I'm not the smartest lol but for me this is a lot of studying. I got like 40 pages of notes. Hey I'm a google warrior also. I googled how many people have the Part 107. It led me to the FAA website and this was updated like 5 days ago now. It says that their are only like 240,000 people with the PART 107 remote pilots license. So in my mind, it's prime time to get it and become the go to guy in the area you know?

To answer your questions (from a pilot).

"Left Downwind for 16," means that the airport uses a left-hand pattern for landings (versus a right-hand pattern), and the pilot is landing on runway 16. If he (or she) is on the downwind, that means that they are flying in the OPPOSITE direction to that runway. This case, it would be runway 34. 160+180=340.
In the test question, it ask where the pilot would be if they were at midfield. Luckily this is what it sounds like...they are half-way between the south and north ends of the runway, with the airport on the pilot's left. Or another way to say it, is that they are on the EAST side of the airport. The pictorial below shows all of the positions during an entry and landing. This example shows an east-west runway, but just turn your head 90 degrees for your example :).

1649682498417.png

I'm not the smartest lol but for me this is a lot of studying. I got like 40 pages of notes. Hey I'm a google warrior also. I googled how many people have the Part 107. It led me to the FAA website and this was updated like 5 days ago now. It says that their are only like 240,000 people with the PART 107 remote pilots license. So in my mind, it's prime time to get it and become the go to guy in the area you know?

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Do you have a link to the page where you saw the # of Part 107 holders?

I think you'll be surprised, that in most areas of the US, there are a lot more UAS operators than you might think. Some very rural areas might be different but there is a LOT of UAS (some not legal) operating all around us.

Or this one....

Runway 13 is heading (pointing) east southeast. Therefore the plane is heading 310 (west nortwest) the opposite direction of 13 and is midfield left of the runway.

Aircraft always try to land into the wind (upwind) as the aerodynamic design of the wing slows the Aircraft giving greater control than if being pushed faster by a downwind. The plane in the example is heading 310 and will continue past the beginning of 13 and make 2 left turns to lineup to land on 13 into the wind.
NOTE: When there is a shift in the wind opposite of the example, Runway 13 is designated as 31.

To answer your questions (from a pilot).

"Left Downwind for 16," means that the airport uses a left-hand pattern for landings (versus a right-hand pattern), and the pilot is landing on runway 16. If he (or she) is on the downwind, that means that they are flying in the OPPOSITE direction to that runway. This case, it would be runway 34. 160+180=340.
In the test question, it ask where the pilot would be if they were at midfield. Luckily this is what it sounds like...they are half-way between the south and north ends of the runway, with the airport on the pilot's left. Or another way to say it, is that they are on the EAST side of the airport. The pictorial below shows all of the positions during an entry and landing. This example shows an east-west runway, but just turn your head 90 degrees for your example :).

View attachment 146594
Sorry did not see this before posting my response. This is an excellent description and graphic example. The FAA should use this. 😀

The downwind leg of the pattern runs parallel to the runway in the opposite direction. In the case of runway 16 the runway direction is 160 degrees (direction you are flying on final). The downwind leg would be in the opposite direction or 340 degrees (160+180=340). A "left" downwind means you are making a left turn from downwind to base and from base to final. This puts the aircraft to the east of the runway (on the right). Actually it's slightly northeast of the run. If you were doing a right base to final the aircraft would be on the west side of the runway (actually slightly southwest).

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Do you have a link to the page where you saw the # of Part 107 holders?

I think you'll be surprised, that in most areas of the US, there are a lot more UAS operators than you might think. Some very rural areas might be different but there is a LOT of UAS (some not legal) operating all around us.
Thanks. I have been on this site for about a month now, as long as ive owned my little drone but i forgot the login info for that account.. Anyways heres the link. Says it was updated on the 6th of April. https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/by_the_numbers/

Thanks guys. I was reading the problem wrong and I was looking for the location of the aircraft instead of the heading. 2edgesword...I dont know how your finding the location but I just have to do some more on paper i guess to get it. Thank you guys. I'm excited about getting this part 107. I aint no phonie, me n lil dronie wanna make me some monie.

Thanks guys. I was reading the problem wrong and I was looking for the location of the aircraft instead of the heading. 2edgesword...I dont know how your finding the location but I just have to do some more on paper i guess to get it. Thank you guys. I'm excited about getting this part 107. I aint no phonie, me n lil dronie wanna make me some monie.
Working it out with a diagram is probably the best way to get a clear picture in your mind of where the aircraft would be located in each stage of the pattern.

Sometimes when they are flying midfield at an airport they aren't familiar with, they are flying over the midfield perpendicular at higher than pattern altitude to look the airport over before coming into the pattern and coming into land.

Aircraft always try to land into the wind (upwind) as the aerodynamic design of the wing slows the Aircraft giving greater control than if being pushed faster by a downwind.
Not exactly. Wind does not "push" the aircraft. The reason pilots prefer to land into the wind is because the oncoming wind contributes to lift so the plane itself can land at a lower ground speed. Remember that lift is a function of the airspeed over the wing, which, in the case of takeoff and landing, is the sum of ground speed and air speed if taking off or landing into the wind. (cross winds make the math more complicated but the idea is still the same....)

Do I need to know this for the test? https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-15
I was studying Flying Over People Categories (this) https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-89/subpart-D/section-89.320
and it led me to that part 15 stuff. When studying on that website, its probably the most thorough material, but so many side links and I think that its overkill. Idk, am I wrong here? I've been taking notes on the Categories but after being referred to so many side links for requirements of this for that and then that for this one...I feel kinda lost like I'm not sure if I'm learning about flying over people anymore lol. I think its good to be thorough, but is a deep deep dive necessary for this Knowledge Test? What topics should I do the deep dive into to ensure the win? Thanks for the help!

Side note: I've been studying quite a bit for like 2 weeks or more, and do not want to pay for a course.

Do I need to know this for the test? https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-15
I was studying Flying Over People Categories (this) https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-89/subpart-D/section-89.320

but is a deep deep dive necessary for this Knowledge Test? What topics should I do the deep dive into to ensure the win? Thanks for the help!

Side note: I've been studying quite a bit for like 2 weeks or more, and do not want to pay for a course.
Radio Frequency Devices is not on the test. Understanding airport frequencies is on the test. Flying over people (also) is on the test. You'll need to know the 4 Categories for aircraft in regards to flying over people.

For me, Sectional Charts, METAR Reports and Weather Anomalies were the most prevalent questions. Airport operations had a few questions there too. You'll need to know aerodynamics in regards to flight (lift, weight, drag and speed plus the center of gravity) in relation to the aircraft. Another BIG section is airspace and the complex layers of each class (except Class A).

There are several versions of the Airman's Knowledge Test (and you have no idea which one you will get). I studied with Pilot Institute ($150) . . . and it was well worth it. He (Greg) only covers the items that are on all versions of the test.

There is an abundance of useless info for sUAS pilots but the FAA says: if you are going to be operating in the four classes of airspace with manned aircraft then you need to understand everything within that airspace . . .

I suggest you use the many YouTube videos out there for studying. There are some really good ones that are thorough enough to get you in the right direction.

Good luck to you pilot!

Reactions: SkyInsight
If you take the Part 107 course from Pilot Institute, all that is now confusing, will become clear.

I took it after I got my 107, as part of a bundle. It was well worth the time spent and the knowledge gained, even though I already had the rating.

Good luck regardless!

:cool:

MM

Thanks captain lol. Man I think I got it... I really do. I've taken like 5-6 or more full practice test. One was 120 questions. I've passed everyone of them and ive wrote down every question that I've missed so that I can go back and learn it. I got like 4 or 5 things on this little list beside me. Just things that I know I'm not well versed in. Like the different weather briefs, Class E and G airspace needs some reviewing. I got this whole packet of notes i've been taking. I hope I'm ready for it. I havent been this excited about anything in a long time.. Honestly since I bought this little Mini 2, I've been half obsessed with everything DRONE lol. Seriously I feel like I can start a business just with the drone I have. The mini 2 is cool yeah but I got some really good business ideas for the new Matrice M30T. So many opportunities, and the part 107 is the only real barrier to entry.

The question is asking about the location of the aircraft relative to the airport, not its heading. (Forgive the very crude drawing.) They want to see if you know that the runway number x 10 is the runway's orientation in degrees and understand basic traffic pattern terms. The airplane is on the east side of the runway.

20220411_111303.jpg

Thanks captain lol. Man I think I got it... I really do. I've taken like 5-6 or more full practice test. One was 120 questions. I've passed everyone of them and ive wrote down every question that I've missed so that I can go back and learn it. I got like 4 or 5 things on this little list beside me. Just things that I know I'm not well versed in. Like the different weather briefs, Class E and G airspace needs some reviewing. I got this whole packet of notes i've been taking. I hope I'm ready for it. I havent been this excited about anything in a long time.. Honestly since I bought this little Mini 2, I've been half obsessed with everything DRONE lol. Seriously I feel like I can start a business just with the drone I have. The mini 2 is cool yeah but I got some really good business ideas for the new Matrice M30T. So many opportunities, and the part 107 is the only real barrier to entry.
When I was getting my fixed wing pilot license 40 years ago, I quickly decided that most of the automated weather briefing options weren't worth the bother. I watched the Weather Channel every day, and called for a live weather briefing before flight.

If you're at all serious about starting a drone business, I empathically suggest that you take the Drone Business course(s) from Pilot Institute. I had a very similar response to yours, and I took the course, and it was a real eye opener.

In my case, it convinced me to not start a drone business. YMMV. If you take that course, and follow all the steps diligently, I strongly suspect that you can have a successful business. The course isn't for the timid; he gives you the good, the bad, and the ugly about starting a drone business, straight up without sugar coating.

Buying that course was some of the best education money that I've ever spent.

Enjoy your wonderful beast regardless!

:)

TCS

While monitoring the Cooperstown CTAF you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?
If they want to be particularly nasty, they might even leave out the "left" from the question and say only that the plane is on the "downwind leg" at a particular time of day. In that case it's up to you to determine what the normal circuit procedure is for this runway at this particular airport.

In Canada, the relevant regulation is CARS 602.96 (1)(3)(c), which says that when flying in the circuit pattern you must,

(c) make all turns to the left when operating within the aerodrome traffic circuit, except where right turns are specified by the Minister in the Canada Flight Supplement or where otherwise authorized by the appropriate air traffic control unit;​

Left-hand circuit patterns are always the default, unless otherwise specified. So you need to look up the particular airport details in the Canada Flight Supplement, which will tell you whether a right circuit pattern is to be used instead. This can be because there is an obstacle or high terrain to the left of that runway, so it's not safe to turn that way. Or there can be noise restrictions in place at certain times at night over sensitive neighbourhoods, during which time planes must turn to the right instead, rather than the default left.

The control tower will tell pilots whether to follow a left pattern or right pattern for planes in the circuit. Or if it's an uncontrolled airport, the pilot needs to know this stuff beforehand. You as a drone pilot might not have access to those radio instructions. So it's up to you to look up the airport charts to figure out which side of the runway traffic would be circulating around.

Fun stuff, huh? It's so much easier to just avoid airports altogether.

Reactions: SkyInsight

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan