DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 licence

Steve LaBranche

Reactions
Hello all fellow Aerial Photographers. I'm presently in a Temporary No Fly Zone, or TFR Temporary Flight Restriction due to Northern California wildfire's. My last update has grounded my M2P till October 23rd 2020. Really!! Two months!!

Where is the best place to obtain a part 107 license. Would it allow me to fly under a TNFZ or TFR.

I see online classes, I just want to know where the most reliable and honest classes.

Have fun, Fly safe.

Reactions: RMS001
Hello all fellow Aerial Photographers. I'm presently in a Temporary No Fly Zone, or TFR Temporary Flight Restriction due to Northern California wildfire's. My last update has grounded my M2P till October 23rd 2020. Really!! Two months!!

Where is the best place to obtain a part 107 license. Would it allow me to fly under a TNFZ or TFR.

I see online classes, I just want to know where the most reliable and honest classes.

Have fun, Fly safe.
Manned airplanes can’t even fly through those zones.

unfortunately even under part 107 you would not be able to fly in a TNFZ or NFZ. I live in San Francisco and i have also noticed that TNFZ zones here, the weather is really bad with smoke. Hopefully they can get the fires under control and no one gets hurt. our birds can wait.
But not for two month's, maybe the restrictions may be lifted earlier but this blanket No Fly Zone for two months is ridiculous.

Whats ridiculous is that people continue to fly non geo fenced drones around wild fires because they think they’re special forcing the FAA and emergeny services to have to implement these TFRs.. it’s just another example of a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

And that’s why I report rogue drone pilots every chance I get. And I known there are some of these types on here that think I should mind my own business. Essentially that’s EXACTLY what I‘m doing when reporting that behavior.

Unless you're part of the group initiating the TFR (Forest service etc) you won't ever get approval to fly within a TFR.

As stated above, it's easier to cancel one early but a pain to get one extended. Hopefully the one in your area gets cancelled sooner but respect what it is and don't try to find a loop hole around it.

Remember, if YOU'RE flying Emergency Services can't and you could cost lives and $$ for someone else.

You don''t necessarily need to take a class to take the test. You can do it all via self-study (I did, but I was also aircrew in the Air Force for 20 years).

As to the TNFZ, TFR, or any other restricted airspace- I wouldn't expect a waiver, especially in wildfire zones. Those are generally established for safety reasons, as they don't want aerial firefighting efforts (or contemplated ones) to be hampered by a drone in the airspace. I can empathize with you - I live just outside of DC, with it's 30 mile SFRA.

On a different note, if you are selling (or bartering) your aerial shots (or even using them to promote your own business, you will need FAA certification.

I found this Tony Northrup video very helpful as well as interesting. Give it a look even if you don't take the exam. Also, I used the study guide on the FAA website and a few other YouTube videos. The test was fairly easy after a month of study.

If you are looking for a reliable school, then I recommend Pilot Institute. I took it and passed with a 97%; no way would I want to navigate doing this on my own; my time is way more valuable. Greg is an awesome instructor.
Plus 1 using Pilot Institute. I also got a 97. Every post I made on the site was answered by Greg, sometimes within a few minutes. You can't go wrong using them.

I'm presently in a Temporary No Fly Zone, or TFR Temporary Flight Restriction due to Northern California wildfire's. My last update has grounded my M2P till October 23rd 2020. Really!! Two months!!
Hey Steve! I’m seeing on Kittyhawk that the TFR in your area applies to areas north of Bridgehaven, so it looks like the beautiful Route 1 coast is still open south of Bridgehaven down to Bodega Bay.

‘Thinking safest thoughts for you guys up in Duncan Mills and Cazadero. With the Meyers Fire now 96% contained, let’s hope the TFR get lifted earlier.

Last edited:
Taking Greg's course right now, format and content is really excellent. Hope to take the exam in a few weeks. Anyone know if the testing centers are open (due to Covid) or how they are administering?

Thanks,

-Chris

The information is fairly easy to understand- except for sectional charts... but a bit difficult to remember. I took one practice test and passed by two questions, but felt that a couple of the questions were queerly worded and some of the answers had nuanced choices where from a practical basis two of the three would have been correct. I suspect the FAA will have questions that are trick traps, such as "When will xyz not be applicable...?". I know to be extra careful to read all the words to make sure I don't mistake context. I understand that they want drone pilots to know more than most will ever need to know... But I mean, come on folks.

Hoping to take the test mid September.

Reactions: h1pst3r88
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2