DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 study material question

JamesJB

Reactions
Curious while looking at the study stuff my question is why do we need to know about Aircraft frequencies? I mean as a drone pilot I don't think we will be talking on the aircraft frequencies or the control tower.

Just was wondering about it.
Sorry for silly question.

Cynical answer - because it may well show up on the test. You should know how to find the Unicom and control tower frequencies for airports on a sectional chart.

Realistic answer - I can imagine a situation in which you'd want to monitor Unicom or the tower when flying near an airport to maintain awareness of traffic and operations.

Cynical answer - because it may well show up on the test. You should know how to find the Unicom and control tower frequencies for airports on a sectional chart.

Realistic answer - I can imagine a situation in which you'd want to monitor Unicom or the tower when flying near an airport to maintain awareness of traffic and operations.
Oh ok.
Yea I know it will be on the test just was confused why we would need to know them. Now I know 😁 Thank you.

Reactions: MS Coast
A few of us monitor air traffic with a receiver while we fly a drone, especially near airports. It helps with localizing an aircraft that is nearby...

Cheers!

Reactions: Greasy and donkep
A few of us monitor air traffic with a receiver while we fly a drone, especially near airports. It helps with localizing an aircraft that is nearby...

Cheers!
Oh ok cool.

And the later drones apps advise when there is an manned aircraft near. Every time I've got that warning the aircraft was close enough I could hear and usually see it, clearly at an altitude above the range I was flying.

The part 107 test is for pilots of sUAS up to 55 pounds, not just the little drones we fly. The larger drones have more capabilities and radio control systems. Larger (under 55 pounds) drones also can fly in different situations and have different interactions with weather. The test needs to cover all of those situations.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
A great flight tracking app I use is Flightradar24 shows all active aircraft Including low flying helicopters also their altitude, and speed and most of the time the destination and point of departure. It will give you tiny realistic looking aircraft in the app you just touch the icon and the data fills in.

A great flight tracking app I use is Flightradar24 shows all active aircraft Including low flying helicopters also their altitude, and speed and most of the time the destination and point of departure. It will give you tiny realistic looking aircraft in the app you just touch the icon and the data fills in.

Uhhh that's not accurate. It shows local aircraft that are BROADCASTIG ADS-B. To assume all aircraft are is a huge mistake and one that could be painful and expensive.

• Military may not be broadcasting.
  • Law Enforcement may not be broadcasting.
  • Small manned aircraft may not be broadcasting.
  • Not all areas in the National Airspace System require ADS-B.

Also keep in mind that unless you're near an ADS-B receiver some aircraft (if they are low) might not be showing up due to terrain issues.

I'm sure (very hopeful) that it's gotten better but just a few years ago it was estimated that any given moment FlightRadar24 was only showing about 30% of aircraft at any given moment flying in the US NAS.

I've been a long time customer of FlightRadar24 and use it every single day but it's important to know it's only an add-on to situational awareness and very far from an absolute end-all for local Air Traffic notifications.

Uhhh that's not accurate. It shows local aircraft that are BROADCASTIG ADS-B. To assume all aircraft are is a huge mistake and one that could be painful and expensive.

• Military may not be broadcasting.
  • Law Enforcement may not be broadcasting.
  • Small manned aircraft may not be broadcasting.
  • Not all areas in the National Airspace System require ADS-B.

Also keep in mind that unless you're near an ADS-B receiver some aircraft (if they are low) might not be showing up due to terrain issues.

I'm sure (very hopeful) that it's gotten better but just a few years ago it was estimated that any given moment FlightRadar24 was only showing about 30% of aircraft at any given moment flying in the US NAS.

I've been a long time customer of FlightRadar24 and use it every single day but it's important to know it's only an add-on to situational awareness and very far from an absolute end-all for local Air Traffic notifications.
I've checked it out seems cool so far,think it's worth the $34 a year for Gold sub?

Did notice a hospital that is a few miles from me that has a Heliport on it. It looks like a small airport near me too but a little further than the heliport. I don't think the DJI Fly app even showed me this.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman