DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 test and Weather maps?

RatsNest

Reactions
Good day to all. So I am about to take my 107 year and so I have studying and taking the practice tests. So I ran across a few websites that offered a practice test and they had a few questions about reading a weather chart then asking what the weather system is. They also had questions about reading a chart supplement and find out how far is a city from the airport.

i have read the FAA's study guides including ready about weather and I also watched Tony Northrup's video on the 107 and I never saw anything about reading a Weather map!.

So has anyone seen this on the official FAA 107 test?.

Thank you.

I've not had those weather questions on the 107, nor have I heard of anyone else having similar questions. I have seen the practice test you mention and that is the only place I have seen them. I believe the same test also had very specific runway marking questions on it that I also did not see on the 107. I don't remember having to answer much regarding the chart supplement, either - except for possibly knowing what information it contains and when you might need to refer to it. There might be one or two somewhat specific questions on it but nothing difficult. In general, the weather questions on the exam were broad, the VFR sectional questions are specific, and safety is a main point of interest. I've found the 3dr test to be a very accurate representation of the question pool. If you studied well then it'll only take you 20-25 minutes to get through the 107.

There may be questions about weather and weather maps.

Here’s a breakdown of questions on the test by knowledge topic (copied from uavcoach.com Drone Certification Guide: Inside the FAA's Part 107 Regulations):

Drone Pilot UAG Test Question Breakdown

So, 11 to 16% of questions on the test will be on weather. The specific questions on your exam will be selected at random from a pool of questions so everyone’s test isn’t the same. Some may not have questions about maps etcetera, but you are expected to know this info and may be tested on it.

uavcoach.com provides an excellent Part 107 online training program. It’s worth the money for life-long access to their training material, and they are reasonably priced compared to other online vendors. Although I hold both private and Part 107 pilot certificates and I’m familiar with much of the info on the Part 107 exam, I used UAV coach.com to study for my recurrent test and I wished it was available to me for my original test. This is because they focus on exactly what you need to know. I plan to restudy their course once per year as a refresher.

Another good source of info about the Part 107 exam is Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate (Updated 2018) - from jrupprechtlaw.com, which is free.

Good luck with the exam!

Last edited:
Good day to all. So I am about to take my 107 year and so I have studying and taking the practice tests. So I ran across a few websites that offered a practice test and they had a few questions about reading a weather chart then asking what the weather system is. They also had questions about reading a chart supplement and find out how far is a city from the airport.

i have read the FAA's study guides including ready about weather and I also watched Tony Northrup's video on the 107 and I never saw anything about reading a Weather map!.

So has anyone seen this on the official FAA 107 test?.

Thank you.
You need to be able to read METARs and TAFs. There are questions about fronts and weather, but I had no questions that required reading a weather map on the actual test, nor do I recall looking at any weather maps or any questions about them while studying for the test.

The FAA has changed the way you sign up to take the Part 107 exam. The prices at local testing centers range from $96, to $96 plus a $64 convenience fee. Before this the fee was $150. Anyone know more about the changes?

You are correct. I took my recurrent test a couple of weeks ago. Total was $160.00. Ironically it wasn't convenient at all, as it's a two hour drive (one way) to the nearest testing center.

Also just took my recurrent test and it was $160.00. I don't know about convenient but it was a lot easier than the first or I just understand the regulations better after applying them over the last 2 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown