DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 tower (obstruction) lighting

pchaps

Reactions
What are the fundamentals of high-intensity lighting for towers, for example, when they may be dimmed or turned off, and how that it controlled (if those parameters even apply)? I am looking for a concise overview of tower lighting. What is the best source to learn about this topic in the context of Part 107? I just got the PHAK hard copy and at first glance do not find towers or tower lighting in the index. I’m looking for something more easily digestible that the ~90-page tower lighting FAA Advisory PDF that my search ran across.

What are the fundamentals of high-intensity lighting for towers, for example, when they may be dimmed or turned off, and how that it controlled (if those parameters even apply)? I am looking for a concise overview of tower lighting. What is the best source to learn about this topic in the context of Part 107? I just got the PHAK hard copy and at first glance do not find towers or tower lighting in the index. I’m looking for something more easily digestible that the ~90-page tower lighting FAA Advisory PDF that my search ran across.

I don't think lighting standards for towers is within the scope of the Part 107 examination. It's not something a pilot has control over.

These two things aren’t related. 107 is for drones. Tower lighting probabany falls under ATO control.

Towers are lit based on FAA standards and are enforced by both the FAA and the FCC. Lit towers are clearly marked on sectionals..

The tower operator is required to notify the FAA and the FCC if a side marker or top light-faills The FAA publidhes a NOTAM until repair us complete.

You do not want to fly anywhere near an operating broadcast tower unless the operator has reduced power, UT will overwhelm your GPS and control system.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
You do not want to fly anywhere near an operating broadcast tower unless the operator has reduced power, UT will overwhelm your GPS and control system.
More than one person has posted here that broadcast towers have no significant effects on drones and cite experience flying very near towers. Can you offer references that quantify the effect on drone GPS and controls? What is "anywhere near" in feet?

I have no experience flying near broadcast towers and my engineering background is in other areas. ISo, 'm not offering an opinion, just looking for factual information. Thanks.

I did a tower flight up an 800' here in Houston that has several cell carriers, 2 full power class C FM broadcast transmitters, and several UHF land mobile systems without any interference to my Air 2. At times I was less than 5 feet horizontal from the antennas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111