DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pay Again To Register New Drone?

Kamau54

Reactions
I already have, and registered, a Potensic drone with the FAA.
I just got my Mavic Air today, but when I try to add it to my inventory, it asks for my card info. Do I have to pay for each drone I get/register? I thought the $5 fee the first time covered anymore drones I buy.

I just got my Mavic Air today, but when I try to add it to my inventory, it asks for my card info. Do I have to pay for each drone I get/register? I thought the $5 fee the first time covered anymore drones I buy.
If you are not flying 107 the same FAA “tail number” goes on all your drones.
Can you post the link you are using? Sounds a bit like some of the scams being run on the web.

The non-107 license is for the operator, not the drone. Just put the same FAA number on each drone.

Reactions: FlyingB and Kamau54
If you are talking about recreational registration on the FAA dronezone recreational dashboard then you don't register individual drones - just yourself - and you use the number you get on all your aircraft. There's no way to add another drone. If you are on the Part 107 dashboard then you register each drone separately at $5 per registration.

If you are not flying 107 the same FAA “tail number” goes on all your drones.
Can you post the link you are using? Sounds a bit like some of the scams being run on the web.
It wasn't anything I read or heard. I just assumed you registered each drone individually.
And no, I am just flying for non commercial use.

It wasn't anything I read or heard. I just assumed you registered each drone individually.
Then you have the number, as several have said, and don’t need to register again. Just put the number on your new drone in compliance with FAA regs.

It's your comment about adding it to your inventory that is confusing then, because that implies that you are on the Part 107 dashboard. You can certainly do that as a recreational flyer, but it is not required.

1582313421732.png

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Oh (deleted by moderator), I just looked at it again, and I did register under part 107, but I'm not a licensed pilot. I am new to the drone life, and I think I was just anxious to fly, and did it wrong.

Reactions: Gindra
Oh crap, I just looked at it again, and I did register under part 107, but I'm not a licensed pilot. I am new to the drone life, and I think I was just anxious to fly, and did it wrong.

You don't need to be a Part 107 RPIC to register under the Part 107 system, so you are good to go. The only ($5) downside is that you have to register each drone.

You don't need to be a Part 107 RPIC to register under the Part 107 system, so you are good to go. The only ($5) downside is that you have to register each drone.
Ok, so can't I just pay the $5, and register under the recreational flyer, then go from there? I'm really not trying to misrepresent myself as licensed. I'm enjoying this drone life way too much, and want to do things the right way.

Ok, so can't I just pay the $5, and register under the recreational flyer, then go from there? I'm really not trying to misrepresent myself as licensed. I'm enjoying this drone life way too much, and want to do things the right way.

You certainly can do that. But registering under Part 107 is in no way misrepresenting yourself - Part 107 is the over-arching regulation of sUAS, while the recreational thing is just an exception to requiring an RPIC certification and the simplified recreational registration is just that - an easier alternative.

You certainly can do that. But registering under Part 107 is in no way misrepresenting yourself - Part 107 is the over-arching regulation of sUAS, while the recreational thing is just an exception to requiring an RPIC certification and the simplified recreational registration is just that - an easier alternative.
Ok, I'll do it that way then.Thanks to you and everybody else for your help. I'm about to get back to setting everything up. Gotta check for a firmware update next.
Again...Thanks.

You will need to go ahead and register as a "Recreational User" and get a Recreational Reg # because you have already "Consumed" the existing Reg # with the previous drone per your comment:

Spend the $5 and do it on the Recreational side and you're covered for 3 more years so long as all recreational flights.

You will need to go ahead and register as a "Recreational User" and get a Recreational Reg # because you have already "Consumed" the existing Reg # with the previous drone per your comment:

Spend the $5 and do it on the Recreational side and you're covered for 3 more years so long as all recreational flights.
Thanks. I really don't have any plans on becoming 'for profit', that's why I was wondering if I couldn't redo it all under recreational.

Thanks. I really don't have any plans on becoming 'for profit', that's why I was wondering if I couldn't redo it all under recreational.

Yea just go pay the $5, get your Recreational # and apply that same # to all of your aircraft. Be sure to remove the existing # from your original one because an aircraft can only have ONE registration #. Also you don't have to but I would log back into your Drone Zone, onto the Commercial side, go to Manage Inventory, and CANCEL the one you have now. Just cleaner that way going forward.

Allen

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Wow!
I thought you had to have each drone registered with a different FAA number just like if you registered different automobiles with the DMV!
We have two Mavic 2 Enterprise Duals registered separately with my fire department. You’re saying that I just needed to register once and it covers both drones?

Wow!
I thought you had to have each drone registered with a different FAA number just like if you registered different automobiles with the DMV!
We have two Mavic 2 Enterprise Duals registered separately with my fire department. You’re saying that I just needed to register once and it covers both drones?

No - that only applies to recreational pilots. Part 107 pilots need to register each aircraft separately. This explained clearly on the FAA website.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato