DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC/Laptop requirements for editing

knockstar

Reactions
I have discovered that my ancient laptop is way, WAY unable to keep up with the demands of video editing. Been reading quite a few reviews and forums online as to what would be a modern replacement. I don't want to have to sell the kids for medical experiments to pay for it, so I'm looking at a Dell XPS 15 9560 from their refurbished outlet running the following specs.

• XPS 15 - 9560
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad Core,up to 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache, 45W)
    Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    16GB DDR4 SDRAM (2x8GB) 2400MHz Non-ECC
    512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
    NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB
The other candidate is a HP Pavilion Pro 24 All in one desktop from one of the big box retailers here in the UK. This option is running the following specs and I already know I will need to bump up the memory.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7700T - Quad-core - 2.9 GHz / 3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost) - 8 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Storage - 1 TB HDD, 7200 rpm - 128 GB SSD
Motherboard Intel H170SCREEN
Touchscreen Multi-point touchscreen
Screen size 23.8"
Screen type FHD IPS
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Screen features Micro edge touchscreen

Are these bare minimum specs or as they stand will either be more than sufficient to edit videos taken by my Mavic? At the moment I am using the free edition of Lightworks, but hate having to use up my vacation time waiting for my laptop to do anything with it and it just laughed at me when I tried using the free version of Davinci Resolve. Leaning at the minute toward the HP all in one, because I like the idea of the bigger screen, but obviously, then I'm losing out on portability, which I think I can live with to not have to work on a small screen. Thanks in advance for your help & advice!

I've been editing video way before I got a mavic and the P3P and the best advice I would give in my humble opinion is

1. Loads of storage space
2. an SSD (as big as u can afford) is a must, store the files u are editing on this drive and move them elsewhere when you are done with them
3. As much ram as u can afford I have 32gb but I wish I had more rendering still seems to take an Ice age lol
4. As big and fast a graphics card I spent way too much on mine but love it (titan x) has something ridiculous like 128gb of ram but it's fast as fook!
5. A monitor that will show your footage off, again as best as your budget will allow, do you want 1080 or up to 4K
Remember 8K is coming granted it's a year or two off reaching us humble prosumers as we seem to be called these days

My processor is a mid i7 dunno what it but it copes good

I use a company to build my machines in the Uk overclockers check out their system builder on the website

they have not let me down yet plus you can spec the pc to your requirements their build prices are very reasonable I find

Cheers Hue, I will check that site out. Was looking for something out of the box that was good to go w/out be mad expensive. Alot of computer review boards recommend the Dell, but hate the thought of a smaller screen. I thought maybe the specs on the HP were okay especially the processor, but the memory and SSD drive needed to be jacked up a bit. Was hoping to get away with either of the two. I like the thought of the HP but from what you wrote it looks like I'll have to keep searching. Thanks again
I've been editing video way before I got a mavic and the P3P and the best advice I would give in my humble opinion is

2. an SSD (as big as u can afford) is a must, store the files u are editing on this drive and move them elsewhere when you are done with them
3. As much ram as u can afford I have 32gb but I wish I had more rendering still seems to take an Ice age lol
4. As big and fast a graphics card I spent way too much on mine but love it (titan x) has something ridiculous like 128gb of ram but it's fast as fook!
5. A monitor that will show your footage off, again as best as your budget will allow, do you want 1080 or up to 4K
Remember 8K is coming granted it's a year or two off reaching us humble prosumers as we seem to be called these days

I use a company to build my machines in the Uk overclockers check out their system builder on the website

they have not let me down yet plus you can spec the pc to your requirements their build prices are very reasonable I find

I'm looking for a new one as well. I7 processor, 32 gig of ram, a decent graphics card like you listed and a ssd, hdd combo. Having a hard time pulling the trigger on it until I'm exactly sure. I found a laptop that I like but even with the exact same specs a laptop won't preform as well as a desktop due to heat issues and having to cram so much into such a small space. Still it should preform just fine for what I want it for. I can't seem to find a desktop that fits my needs for under $2000. I'm going to keep looking for now. I can always buy a docking station and a nice 4k monitor and it would be almost as good as a desktop.

Look at Gaming laptops, they are specifically designed for graphics work and suit beautifully.

I am currently running a borrowed Asus ROG 750JS. Has a 256gig SSD and 1tb hard drive. 16gig ram (expandable to 32 but doesn't seem to need it), i7 4600 quad core 2.5gig that will over clock itself to 3.5gig and an 8gig Nvidia 8600 graphics. Loving it. And since the company I work for that I borrowed it from has now gone broke and is not paying me my entitlements I don't feel so bad about borrowing it now! (Will lose about $12k in entitlements) ...

It would be a shame if your car was broken into and that laptop was stolen. Just kidding. Our company laptops are remotely disabled if they are stolen.

I'm looking for a new one as well. I7 processor, 32 gig of ram, a decent graphics card like you listed and a ssd, hdd combo. Having a hard time pulling the trigger on it until I'm exactly sure. I found a laptop that I like but even with the exact same specs a laptop won't preform as well as a desktop due to heat issues and having to cram so much into such a small space. Still it should preform just fine for what I want it for. I can't seem to find a desktop that fits my needs for under $2000. I'm going to keep looking for now. I can always buy a docking station and a nice 4k monitor and it would be almost as good as a desktop.

That is why I am hesitating Doe, don't want to get it wrong. Everything I read and watched says the Dell can handle it, so I think I am just looking reassurance. They have another one in the refurbished section of the Dell store with 32 gb memory for about 300 more. Again though like you said it is asking a lot of work for a cramped space. I keep looking back at the HP all in one but I would need to boost the memory and get a bigger drive for it. Couple of other laptops I have been looking at are the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW and the Asus ROG Strix GL753VD (the latter has a 17inch screen) based on recommendations from this review among others.Top 10 Best Laptops for Video Editing of 2017 - Includes Best 4K Laptops!

Look at Gaming laptops, they are specifically designed for graphics work and suit beautifully.

I am currently running a borrowed Asus ROG 750JS. Has a 256gig SSD and 1tb hard drive. 16gig ram (expandable to 32 but doesn't seem to need it), i7 4600 quad core 2.5gig that will over clock itself to 3.5gig and an 8gig Nvidia 8600 graphics. Loving it. And since the company I work for that I borrowed it from has now gone broke and is not paying me my entitlements I don't feel so bad about borrowing it now! (Will lose about $12k in entitlements) ...
I was reading up on the Asus ROG Strix GL753VD SeaComms, think it might be in around the same level as yours. Has a 17 inch screen which is a plus. I did read most gaming laptops would suit the bill nicely. Not savvy enough computing wise to understand the overclocking you speak of, is that like the 'up to 3.8 GHz' that is mentioned for the Dell's i7 processor description in my original post?

Yep that's it. They are rated for a certain speed and in a normal computer that's where they run. However in higher spec computers they overclock them, meaning they program them to run faster than designed. This generates a lot more heat and used to make them only last a short time. However most of the gaming computers run quite advanced cooling systems allowing them to dissipate the heat more efdiciently. Heat is what kills it. Since it is all controlled internally with temp monitors and huge fans (two separate quite large fans for a laptop in the Asus ROG) they can manage the excess heat well and if needed can slow it back down til temps are acceptable.

In layman's terms it's like adding a turbo to your car but only using the exyra power when needed and keeping a close eye on engine temps and backing off if it gets too hot.

It would be a shame if your car was broken into and that laptop was stolen. Just kidding. Our company laptops are remotely disabled if they are stolen.
So are ours. However the position I held in the company is/was IT Manager

Hence not to worried [emoji12]

What you fail to mention, and the biggest thing to consider is what resolution you will be editing. Without knowing that, any answer is a big guess.

Those specs should be fine for 1080 and 2.7. However, they would strain to edit 4k.

Yep that's it. They are rated for a certain speed and in a normal computer that's where they run. However in higher spec computers they overclock them, meaning they program them to run faster than designed. This generates a lot more heat and used to make them only last a short time. However most of the gaming computers run quite advanced cooling systems allowing them to dissipate the heat more efdiciently. Heat is what kills it. Since it is all controlled internally with temp monitors and huge fans (two separate quite large fans for a laptop in the Asus ROG) they can manage the excess heat well and if needed can slow it back down til temps are acceptable.

In layman's terms it's like adding a turbo to your car but only using the exyra power when needed and keeping a close eye on engine temps and backing off if it gets too hot.
Cheers SeaComms! Looking at the Asus Rog line as I type this. Ruled out the Zen book, so at the minute it is between the Rog I mentioned above and the Dell XPs 15 9560. Just discovered one with the same specs but a UHD screen and w/ 32 gb of memory that's going for cheaper than new in their 'Outlet' store. Of course all my choices will be different by this time tomorrow, can never make up my mind wanting to get the best I can for the best price lol

Reactions: SeaComms
What you fail to mention, and the biggest thing to consider is what resolution you will be editing. Without knowing that, any answer is a big guess.

Those specs should be fine for 1080 and 2.7. However, they would strain to edit 4k.
You're right there Tcope, I didn't consider that. All kinda new to this stuff and trying to learn 'crash course' style through YouTube 'best video editing laptops' review clips and message boards. EVERYBODY has a different take, so it's tough for a newb to figure out a good safe choice. That's why I was looking at the Dell, that seems to be near the top of most lists, leaving out the Apple disciples.

You're right there Tcope, I didn't consider that. All kinda new to this stuff and trying to learn 'crash course' style through YouTube 'best video editing laptops' review clips and message boards. EVERYBODY has a different take, so it's tough for a newb to figure out a good safe choice. That's why I was looking at the Dell, that seems to be near the top of most lists, leaving out the Apple disciples.
I haven't even mentioned that I live 2 miles past the ***-end-of-nowhere Ireland with a broadband connection that the guys who layed the first tran Atlantic cable would fall over laughing at. So even when I do get a decent computer to edit footage, I'm going to have to use up my years vacation allowance sitting here watching it slowly upload. lol

Thanks for all help and information guys, it is much appreciated. Think I finally found one in the price range I have set for myself that I think has the guts to handle the editing AND has a 17-inch screen. Again it would be greatly appreciated if someone with a lot more brain power than I have in regards to this topic let me know if it's workable for video editing. From everything I have learned from here and other sources, these specs should pass muster, which I'm hoping it will as at this point I'm losing the will to live after spending the better part of the day staring at this screen researching.
HP Pavilion 17-ab202na 4K Laptop
Chipset
Intel® HM175
Processor speed
2.8 GHz
Processor family
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
Hard drive description
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
Hard drive (2nd)
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Storage type
HDD
SSD
Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Graphics
Discrete
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless
Intel® 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo (Miracast compatible)
Ports
1 HDMI
1 headphone/microphone combo
1 USB 2.0
2 USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 RJ-45
Expansion slots
1 multi-format SD media card reader

I bought a used rig for $300 on Letgo.
i5 Processor
GTX 760 2gb (Not the best card but certainly not the worst)
16GB DDR3 Ram
1 TB Hard Drive 7200RPM

And that's really it. I don't have many issues with this setup. I run Sony Vegas Pro 14 on my desktop and seems to render and edit smoothly. Personally, I would like to upgrade the Motherboard considering it is a Micro ATX with a max Ram of 16gb. More ram, bigger GFX card, and an overclocked i5 would definitely do me well.

If you want an insane rig, grab the Xeon's from Intel... Come with 12 cores a processor and 30MCache!!!

Reactions: knockstar
I have a i5 @3.40 and 4 gigs of ram with dedicated graphics. I can't run really resource intensive editing software but I can run Wondershare filmora flawlessly and it allows me to color correct and edit 4k video.

Wondering if my Surface Pro 3 would be able to handle this:
  • CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400.
  • RAM: 8GB LPDDR3.
  • Screen: 12-inch, 2160 x 1440 multi-touch (ClearType, 3:2 aspect ratio)
  • Storage: 256GB SSD.
Obviously not a beast of a machine, and I'm sure rendering would take forever.

The latest GTX1080TI can barely even handle 4k at maxed out graphics, 8k is orders of magnitude more intensely and no card on the market will ever be able to tackle that (for PC gaming)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580