DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC/Laptop requirements for editing

For video editing laptop, you will need a high specs laptop with quad-core i7. RAM has to be at least 8GB for smooth editing experience and for storage I recommend SSD. Size can be 256GB, 512GB based on your requirements and budget but no less than 256GB because the size of 4K videos will be huge.

I read most of the posts on this thread and there's a couple of very important aspects of this I didn't see here. The two main things I want to mention here is Proxies and spreading the editing job over several different hard drives. Right now, I'm using an HP Elite book 8740w that I had the RAM beefed up to 16 gigabits. I bought it used for about 800 bucks or so, but it works good running Win. 7 pro. I'm running Adobe Premier Pro that I rent or lease for 20 bucks a month. I know a lot of you aren't gonna want to do that, but there's so many benefits I get from this, that I'm putting off buying some other brand of software, at least for now. The first thing I tried after having my footage stutter and skip while editing is that when I set up the edit, with Premier, at least, I'm able to copy or capture the video on to one hard drive, the audio on to another, and I think the previews or something on to even a different drive. This really helped me on my regular hand held camera footage because it has audio. Of course on drone footage, you're probably not going to have audio, and also this isn't necessarily the best way to do all this. I just recently discovered that I can do this thing called Proxy, where I can set the footage I'm editing to a lower resolution in order for it to run smoothly. Not so low, it looks like crap, but low enough for me to still see it clearly enough to edit smoothly. Then, when the edit is all done, I'm able to export it back to full resolution and it looks great. I think this Proxy method is the answer to most of the problems of your machine not being fast enough, but I'm not sure what other programs will allow you to use this feature. I'd suggest going on to other video editing or software websites to find some of the answers or just look up the software your using and check out the manual to see if you can use this Proxy editing. Marc-Mavhawk.

What's your budget?

You've already received a ton of good advice on hardware, let me add the cherry on top. If you develop a routine of creating video proxies you'll find your hardware requirements aren't as important; any decent laptop with an SSD and modern GPU will suffice, you'll just have to wait a few more sec depending on what you buy. I have a monster PC and I use proxies, I prefer instantaneous results. If you have 0 clue on what I'm talking a about, watch this YT guy:

I have the second cheapest HP laptop Staples sells. Once I upped the memory to 16GB, it runs Resolve beautifully. With 8GB, it worked but you had to be very patient.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98