DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC required?

SadBrush

Reactions
I’m looking into buying a M2 as a first drone, and some videos mention “plugging it into a pc/Mac ” at times for firmware updates etc, but I thought this was done through the app. Question:
1) can you plug the Mavic straight into the PC? And what would this be for?
2) can it be used fully without the need for a pc?
Thanks

I’m looking into buying a M2 as a first drone, and some videos mention “plugging it into a pc/Mac ” at times for firmware updates etc, but I thought this was done through the app. Question:
Thanks
You can upgrade with the app no pc needed

Never had the need for pc to update mine ... it’s always updated perfectly fine via the app on my iphone

While you could probably get away without using a computer, here are some things you can do with a computer:

1) You can install the DJI Assistant 2 application, plug a Micro USB cable between the aircraft and your computer, and do the following:
  • Download DAT flight logs from aircraft
  • Upload DAT flight logs to DJI servers (might be needed for troubleshooting if you contact DJI support for help)
  • Calibrate the aircraft sensors
  • Run the DJI flight simulator from a computer (also available in DJI GO)
  • Install the firmware using a computer (can also be done in DJI GO)
  • Reset or downgrade the firmware
2) Edit photos and/or videos using computer software (like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Premiere).

3) If using an Apple mobile device, you need a computer running iTunes in order to access the flight logs and other files created by DJI GO on your Apple mobile device (if you ever need to access those files).

Reactions: Mossiback
Thanks

1) Yes
2) Maybe
I'm using a Samsung S6 phone and a Samsung Tab S2 with DJI GO4 as my control monitors. Neither will update my Mavic 2 Pro. I have to use Assistant 2 on my PC for the aircraft updates. Works ok for sme people with some devices but not for me. Even Assistant 2 is flaky and usually takes 2 or 3 tries and 40 - 50 minutes of patience.
Just my experience, YMMV.
I suggest you get the M2P but be prepared to shell out for accessories before long. :)

You can upgrade with the app no pc needed
No. You can't.
You really cannot.

Ask me and hundred others who had to attach the M2P to a PC and use dji assistant up upgrade firmware.

Fortunately, I do own a Windows laptop.
But I was very unhappy to be forced to use it to upgrade firmware.

Especially since it took more than one try to upgrade firmware. As mentioned above.

Ive never needed it with air and m2z .. dont even have assistant installed on my laptop.

While you could probably get away without using a computer, here are some things you can do with a computer:

1) You can install the DJI Assistant 2 application, plug a Micro USB cable between the aircraft and your computer, and do the following:
  • Download DAT flight logs from aircraft
  • Upload DAT flight logs to DJI servers (might be needed for troubleshooting if you contact DJI support for help)
  • Calibrate the aircraft sensors
  • Run the DJI flight simulator from a computer (also available in DJI GO)
  • Install the firmware using a computer (can also be done in DJI GO)
  • Reset or downgrade the firmware
2) Edit photos and/or videos using computer software (like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Premiere).

3) If using an Apple mobile device, you need a computer running iTunes in order to access the flight logs and other files created by DJI GO on your Apple mobile device (if you ever need to access those files).

MSinger: I will ask: Some sensors can ONLY be calibrated using a PC (mac??) or can the app be used? Thanks in advance.

No. You can't.
You really cannot.

Ask me and hundred others who had to attach the M2P to a PC and use dji assistant up upgrade firmware.

Especially since it took more than one try to upgrade firmware. As mentioned above.
It’s not as black and white as you stated “you really cannot”. It would be more accurate to say that many (for reasons we don’t know) cannot. I wonder what the percentages are? I have had no problems to date. After reading the horror stories I was sweating the first time I did it but it went through smoothly then and since. With no PCs in the family I’m not sure what I would do if I needed to.

No. You can't.
You really cannot.

My mavic 2 was update trough the app when i bought it. Now it came back from repair and was set to factory firmware. As soon as i started the app it told me it needded updating and downloaded and installed it.

So yes it realky can..

Kgitti,nina

I say you really cannot because a bunch of people could not.

So statistically, anyone one of us may not be able to in the future.

You really cannot : because it's not a sustainable solution.

Unless dji acknowledges, clarifies why, and repairs this fault.

MSinger: I will ask: Some sensors can ONLY be calibrated using a PC (mac??) or can the app be used?
The vision sensors can only be calibrated in the DJI Assistant 2 application.

Reactions: ff22
Kgitti,nina

I say you really cannot because a bunch of people could not.

So statistically, anyone one of us may not be able to in the future.

You really cannot : because it's not a sustainable solution.

Unless dji acknowledges, clarifies why, and repairs this fault.
I really can, have never used a PC for an update.

I really can, have never used a PC for an update.

No one said you didn't.

I implied that a PC is a must to ensure being able to update firmware.

There's no way around it.

Those who updated via the app were lucky. There is no technicality nor sustainability behind it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara