DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PC vs. Mac- Video Editing

This is such a "Get the popcorn thread..." Get on YouTube comments if you want to get into the PC/Mac debate...

I personally use a 2012 Macbook Pro and 2010 iMac to my 4k videos on FCPX. Quite simple. I've worked on old PC laptops and would rather use them as a dinner plate...

I'd +1 for iMovie for a good starter program. Having said that, you say you have a decent PC so maybe better off sticking with that. Have you tried Vegas Movie suite?

Unique video products – VEGAS Creative Software

The reality is there are great programs for both platforms and excellent products as well. Some programs like the Adobe suites have nearly identical interfaces on their programs. For a while Adobe started releasing pc versions before mac versions...which was a marked departure from their original strategy indicative of the shift in the marketplace toward Windows even among creatives. So the answer for you lies in the answer to "which platform are you most comfortable using?" And is there an interface that's more intuitive for you that's only available on one or the other platform.

Everyone knows canon is better than Nikon...why worry about brands of computers too?

I've worked on old PC laptops and would rather use them as a dinner plate...
This reminds me of a guy from work. He had only used iPhones until his broke and he had to temporarily use his wife's old galaxy s3. He then decided that all androids suck because they are slow. It made me facepalm a little. He was using a 5 year old android and comparing it to the latest iphone. Of course it works better. If he used an iPhone 2, he would have the same experience. All these devices use the same hardware. Apple doesn't make hardware. It's silly to compare old products to new ones. Apple makes a good product no doubt, but some of the arguments in favor of one or the other are just crazy sometimes.

I have a PC (laptop) and Macbook Pro and use Adobe Premiere (Creative Cloud Subscription) on both. I really see no difference, though. I get better performance out of my Windows Laptop than from Macbook Pro. They both have similar GPUs, Core i7, 16GB ram, SSD.

Go figure...

Reactions: 4wd
I think it dates back to when it was fashionable to hate Windows and Microsoft, and Mac somehow persuaded a swath of affluent gullibles that their identical components must be better and more exclusive because they charge triple the price.

A common theme demonstrated through this thread is some bad experience with windows 10 or 20 years ago.
Since Windows 7, anyone having major problems is basically a computer numpty, and would be better in Apple's vice-like grip anyway.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
New to the Mavic, I have used video editing software before but was very simple compared with the latest software that's come on leaps and bounds.

For now, if I was you assuming you have a pc, I'd recommend Davinci Resolve. Download for free. You'll probably take one look at it and go, huh??? But then watch resolve 14, ultimate crash course by Casey Faris on YT. Seriously good program and I found it easy to pick up the basics and get editing again, adding music but it does, oh, so, so much more.

New to the Mavic, I have used video editing software before but was very simple compared with the latest software that's come on leaps and bounds.

For now, if I was you assuming you have a pc, I'd recommend Davinci Resolve. Download for free. You'll probably take one look at it and go, huh??? But then watch resolve 14, ultimate crash course by Casey Faris on YT. Seriously good program and I found it easy to pick up the basics and get editing again, adding music but it does, oh, so, so much more.
Yeah, resolve is great too. Although I've stayed away from Resolve I think I have to start looking into it. The main reason being my interest in creating HDR content, so I (and also others) could watch it on their glorious OLED TVs. Lot's more to learn, though. Grading SDR is easy... But getting a cheap workflow for HDR is pain in the ***. Either you have to get an expensive HDR monitor or integrate your expensive OLED TV (if you already have one) into the workflow somehow. Trying to do the latter. Time will tell.

All I can tell for now is that Adobe Premiere PRO's HDR tools are practically useless. At least from MysteryBox's blog I read that you can even to an extent emulate HDR on your SDR computer monitor. Should be a great starting point. But yeah... when it comes to choosing between PC or Mac then I have to admit: Windows 10 is actually pretty fecking good.

A 27" iMac with 5K display starts at $1,799 and iMovie works well. Although if you do a lot with it you'll want to upgrade the CPU and Video Memory making it a few hundred more.

You'll actually be able to see your 4K video. I don't think you can get anything for Windows with a 5K Display for that price.

Buy iMac

A 27" iMac with 5K display starts at $1,799 and iMovie works well. Although if you do a lot with it you'll want to upgrade the CPU and Video Memory making it a few hundred more.

You'll actually be able to see your 4K video. I don't think you can get anything for Windows with a 5K Display for that price.

Buy iMac
How many people need 5k monitors? For most people 4k is more than sufficient, and good 4k monitors can be had for under $400.

Reactions: harly
How many people need 5k monitors? For most people 4k is more than sufficient, and good 4k monitors can be had for under $400.

It's nice to have workspace that's not on your media by having more than 4K for other editing. Photos in particular. Also Apple doesn't make 4K monitors should you want to choose that platform for editing media. I do a lot of work and prefer the higher resolution. If cost is the top requirement then something cheaper in Windows will work fine. When they release an 8K iMac I'll get one simply because my DSLR 32mp images would benefit from that. The current quality of what the Mavic can record doesn't really need a high end editing system though.

Just curious for all the mac users on pre 2016 models, do you have to optimize media for 4k on FCP?

Someone else will have to tell you that but I was a Windows user I guess for the last 15 years and a member persuaded me to go Mac and won't never go back . Is a learning curve for sure
but with 2 5TB Externals for TimeMachine and Media Drive and this
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 7.50.48 AM.png Which I got myself this year with 3 years Apple Care I have about 2500. in it .
iMovie is all I can do right now but this will carry me the rest of my time I plan on using one .
So IMO iMac...
Thumbs Up.gif

Last edited:
I use both platforms, and have been cutting my 4K movies on an i7 Surface Pro simply because of portability, but to be honest, I would love to have a MBP, because Apple has always been the best at graphics etc. for art works.

i am a video editor by trade. i started out of final cut 4, worked in final cut 7 until apple made me stop, TRIED fcpx & hated it, went to premiere pro & loved it. premiere, btw, works on either mac or windows and it is my preferred way to edit. i have worked on both OS and mac handles graphics and video far better than windows, hands down. i am no mac fanboy, i disagree with a LOT of what they do, but business is business. i just got a late 2017 macbook pro & did a test between premiere & fcpx. with the same 5 minute timeline of 4k video, general editing was the same, moving clips, applying fx, playback - no glitches on either. however, when it came time to render, fcpx was 4x faster than premiere. i dislike fcpx intensely, but i have learned to move around in it because time is money.

get adobe Premiere, Its a subscription and it works on Mac or PC, which makes the computer platform irrelevant.

Hi, does iMovie support LUT?

i don't think so. if you are a hobbiest iMovie is, really, probably enough. basic color grading. if not (or if you've just got a pile of money sitting around) get fcpx or premiere.

Reactions: Lucianoandre
Hi everybody,

New drone pilot here and very new video editor, but I am decent with a Windows PC. I’m trying to find out if it’s a night & day the difference in regards to the “User Friendliness” of a MAC when editing video versus a PC?
I have read all the posts on the numerous different Windows video editing software and even gave Davinci Resolve a try, but it’s too overwhelmed for me.

Would I benefit getting a Mac, or do u guys think I’d be just as confused?

Thanks for your guys help!
I think the answer to your question is to find an editing program you like first, then consider mac. I love Davinci Resolve and my experience with editing software is limited to something like a 2003 version of magix video editor. I did however have to view the video crash course in resolve 14 to just get the basics and get editing even in basic mode but that's all I want, rest can wait. As for mac, I'm inclined to move to 4k and maybe a mac but I'm in no rush. Editing 4k I believe needs a very powerful computer but I've just and I mean just bought a Nikon D7500 which much to my surprise, shoots 4k so yeah, I'll be looking into a new computer I guess but that can wait.

I am a 91 year old man, I have six PCs and five Macs. I use a 15 inch Mac Book Pro and a 13 inch Mac Book Pro, with a 36 inch monitor, I have a 20 inch iMac and a 27 inch iMac plus other Macs and use FCPX 10.3 to do my video editing for my Mavic Pro video as well as videos I make on other cameras. I have 3 large TB external HDs which I attached to whatever unit I am using. FCP X does have a large learning curve to use, but it does everything I ask of it. color changes are easy. You can make beautiful videos with FCPX.. FCPX does the rendering in the background, you will find it is incredible.

I seldom use my PCs with Adobe Premiere Pro. Larry Flagg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom