DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

People are Spoiled!!!!!!!!

I think for me it would be the 50's. Cool cars, Heathkits, music was pretty good and airplanes were cheap. I wouldn't have liked having to wear a hat and smoke a pipe, though. I would build the greatest man-cave bomb shelter.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Life is way to complicated now a days. i'd forsake all the tech of today to have lived in the 30's
Life never has been an easy thing. Not int he thirties, not in the twenties and not two centuries ago. And, for those who hope technology will make it easier, that is what people thought long ago to. to quote a famous song: "Everybody has his troubles, if you sorrow, it doubles..."

And aboit being spoiled, I am not spoiled, I am just entitled to have everything I want. The only problem, not everybody seems to acknowledge that :)

I think I enjoyed the 70's... I really don't remember.

• Haha
Reactions: MKGym
I think I enjoyed the 70's... I really don't remember.
No, not the seventies. Back to school, back to this teacher that lived to long, back to... no, not the seventies.

Reactions: PAW
i love the tech that allows me to come on this forum ,that allows me to talk to my daughter in the U.S.A.,and see her at the same time, how easy my modern car is to drive, and how economical it is on fuel, and i love the fact i can go out with my MPP and capture some wonderful memories of great times, i do think my generation appreciate things more and are able to see through the hype ,nothing is perfect its part of lifes great tapestry bring it on

i love the tech that allows me to come on this forum ,that allows me to talk to my daughter in the U.S.A.,....i do think my generation appreciate things more and are able to see through the hype ,nothing is perfect its part of lifes great tapestry bring it on
So true. I’m in bed on a chilly winter morning in Australia, replying to you. Remember when int’l phone calls were Iike $4/minute. Remember when mobile phone calls were charged by time? I still am amazed and grateful for the tech we have. I think us Xers are lucky we had the low-tech 80s to gently ease us in. Why ppl now complain more than ever is a mystery. Health, education, safety, transport, all better than even 50 years ago. Food might be the one thing that is worse. That’s a whole other conversation.

Reactions: old man mavic
Remember when mobile phone calls were charged by time?
Remember the times that mobile phonecalls where just something people could have in sciencefiction movies?

True. I remember in 2010 that this tech was being sold for $40,000. DJI made it affordable to get into this hobby.

Life never has been an easy thing. Not int he thirties, not in the twenties and not two centuries ago. And, for those who hope technology will make it easier, that is what people thought long ago to. to quote a famous song: "Everybody has his troubles, if you sorrow, it doubles..."

And aboit being spoiled, I am not spoiled, I am just entitled to have everything I want. The only problem, not everybody seems to acknowledge that :)
Very true grass is never greener on the other side!!! Okay I bet the 50's was a cool time to be a kid..

Very true grass is never greener on the other side!!! Okay I bet the 50's was a cool time to be a kid..
In the 50s in high school you could drive up on the lot and a teacher or prinicipal might come see the new rifle you had in the rack behind your seat for dove hunting. My mother would take me to town and we'd go in to the post office leaving the keys in the ignition. We rarely locked the house. My drone has more tech than any computer then. I am amazed by AI and look forward to more fantastic developments. It's faster and faster coming. It's just society I loathe now.

Yessss ....the trusty old paper routes....those were hard hustling summers ...i dont think i see anyone doing that anymore
Papers don’t really exist now. I had 2 routes when I was a kid. Made 24 bux a month delivering 80+ papers a day and extra thick ones on Sunday ! But how many 9 year olds had 24 bux in their pocket in 1978!? I was rich. Lol

It always amazes me to read all the threads about how unhappy people are with there models. I only dreamed of being able to this with my trusty Cox airplane on a string when i was 8... And all the people that complain about what we have now Man PEOPLE ARE SPOILED!!!...

Hey, "I been there - done that too"!
10 years old, almost freezing outside, down at the old schoolhouse, no body to hold my "Ringmaster" u-contol, while I run out to the center to pick up the control wires. I think that was the day I put two drops of pure, homemade, nitromethane into the glo-plug hole, (to help start the Fox 35), then touched the battery to the glo-plug, and the explosion produced so much torque on the prop shaft that it broke the 10X6" prop blades off at the hub. Sure glad my finger wasn't flipping the prop. True story! I haven't thought of that in 70 years. It was fun back then too. It also striped the glo-plug threads off of the engine head. I never did find the glo-plug!
Joe
KC7GHT
Hint: Concentrated Nitric Acid and Methanol Alcohol.

Every morning I wake up I find myself in the future. I'm new to drone flying and drone photography and I am simply amazed at what the Mavic Air can do. Nothing is good or bad except by comparison (Bud Selig?). As I get older my experience with the past increases and I am impressed with what the future has brought. Bring it on.
Yep. All my life I dreamed of doing photography from the air,but who could afford that!? Now I can do it and it feels like freedom man!

Reactions: Drgnfli and geevee
No kidding. I'm not sure if it's more of an effect of being spoiled, or just the fact that millennials just never had the experience of anything different so the technology isn't appreciated as much. As a gen-x member growing up with rotary-dial corded phones, typewriters (when I got a little older an electric one), no internet and all of its ills, a TV that got three local stations (a few more if switched to UHF), vinyl records and cassettes (the "Walkman" was revolutionary at the time), cameras that used film and disposable flash cubes - I believe I, and you, have a different appreciation of today's technology/toys. I worked two paper routes for months to save $400 to buy my first motorcycle, a mint Suzuki TS250. Today a teenager will drop three times that on a cell phone without blinking, and that phone probably has more hard memory and computing power than was used by mission control to send men to the moon. Of course our parents probably thought we were spoiled as well.

I couldn't remember precisely so i looked it up, but the Apollo guidance system ran on about 2k of memory. Found an article published for the 50th anniversary that compared today's tech with Apollo era tech (Your Smart Toaster Can’t Hold a Candle to the Apollo Computer)

It always amazes me to read all the threads about how unhappy people are with there models. I only dreamed of being able to this with my trusty Cox airplane on a string when i was 8... And all the people that complain about what we have now Man PEOPLE ARE SPOILED!!!...
I Remember Those, Fingers Full Of Oil And Gasoline, Trying To Start The Aluminum Motor, Lol, Man, Were Old, lol

Wow, Cox airplane, using cox glow fuel...that brings back memories. I had an old beat up moped that wasn't worth anything so I was fooling around and put a can of cox glow fuel in it. ran like a banshee for about half a mile before the engine seized up.

... no body to hold my "Ringmaster" u-contol, while I run out to the center to pick up the control wires.
Loved my Ringmaster! I made a new tail wheel wire that had a loop so that I could put a pin through it to hold the plane while I ran out to the center of the circle. After picking up the handle and checking the elevator control, I used my foot to pull a string tied to the pin to release the plane. Years later (like around 30 years!), I did something similar with my 1/2A combat plane. It had no wheels, but with a Norvel .061 engine, it would take off almost vertically so didn't need them!

Reactions: joeruby
I was 12 but I remember Apollo 11 and earlier flights and tragedies . Pre color TV pre microwave. Balsa gliders back then. A forum was where people showed up and met and actually talked

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3