DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permit/Insurance for M2Z required in USA?

CarlosCN

Reactions
Hi,
Would you please help me with the following points?

I live in China and have my M2Z registered here. I will be visiting USA (LA, NV) for two weeks.
Do I need to register the equipment in USA? How?
Are there conditions e.g. max. altitude or areas where permitting is not required?
Can you please also provide some information about insurance?

Thanks in advance.
------------------------------------------------------
Based on the replies I received, it can be useful for non-USA citizens to register their AC.

1- FAA registration: FAADroneZone (choose SECTION 336)
2- Registration for non-US citizens is only a certificate of property but it allows to fly below 120 m (same as in China) etc
3- The registration process is immediate, on line. Print out the registration card, FAA number and mark or label the number on the AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Hi,
Would you please help me with the following points?

I live in China and have my M2Z registered here. I will be visiting USA (LA, NV) for two weeks.
Do I need to register the equipment in USA? How?
Are there conditions e.g. max. altitude or areas where permitting is not required?
Can you please also provide some information about insurance?

Thanks in advance.

You must register with faa once you do
You will be able to affix the registration
To as many drones as you have 118 meters
Is maximum height you register your name not the drone make sure you register recreational use not part 107
Look online many companies offer day
Insurance it’s good to have but not required

400 ft is 121 meters. 120m is easier to remember.
You need to contact airport/ATC within 5 miles of flight. I recommend AirMap to help with that. Some airspace is more restricted than just the 5 mile rule, such as takeoff/landing corridor and AirMap helps with that too.

You must register with faa once you do
You will be able to affix the registration
To as many drones as you have 118 meters
Is maximum height you register your name not the drone make sure you register recreational use not part 107
Look online many companies offer day
Insurance it’s good to have but not required

Thanks! This was very helpful.
The registration process is trivial. I wrote some P.S.s on my the original post

Last edited:
400 ft is 121 meters. 120m is easier to remember.
You need to contact airport/ATC within 5 miles of flight. I recommend AirMap to help with that. Some airspace is more restricted than just the 5 mile rule, such as takeoff/landing corridor and AirMap helps with that too.

Thank you.
Nice advice about AirMap. I was wondering if I could fly the AC below a certain altitude without registration but it seems not to be allowed.

I was wondering if I could fly the AC below a certain altitude without registration but it seems not to be allowed.
You must register before flying anywhere outdoors in the US.

Thanks! I got my FAA registration. Now I need to contract an insurance. Would you have a suggestion for an insurance company?

I know it’s 121 but I say and keep it
At 118 to account for barometer
Error because there can be some

I fail to see why people _still_ think there is a 400' limit regulation when flying as a hobby. I guess by changing it to meters (makes no sense when using the DJI Go app) it changes the laws.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb