DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos look like trash

You don't know what you're talking about.

My iPad Pro has a processor in it that's better than most laptops. I edit 4k video from the Mavic2Pro shot in H.265, apply LUTs and render the videos nearly in real time. And it handles RAW files like they're nothing.

I fear I do know very well what I am talking about. It's not because a machine can 'handle' a certain task, that it's doing that without any influence on the final result.
For my TV-work; most customers are not accepting iPad pro-output reject any footage with an iPad-footprint.
But if you're happy with your iPad, I'm happy for you and don't change.
Just accept that there are others with different expectations and results.
The only iPad I use is the mini4 connected to the remote. The editing is done on a Mac or (even better) the SurfaceBook2.

I fear I do know very well what I am talking about. It's not because a machine can 'handle' a certain task, that it's doing that without any influence on the final result.
For my TV-work; most customers are not accepting iPad pro-output reject any footage with an iPad-footprint.
But if you're happy with your iPad, I'm happy for you and don't change.
Just accept that there are others with different expectations and results.
The only iPad I use is the mini4 connected to the remote. The editing is done on a Mac or (even better) the SurfaceBook2.
I don't think he's talking about recording the footage on the iPad itself but actually doing the editing, which is not dependent upon the resolution of the iPad screen or camera.
The iPad Pro is one of the best, if not the best, editor for 4k video from multiple sources. I personally do my video editing on the Mac because I'm not 100% comfortable on the iPad importing and exporting, but that's me, not the iPad. The Mac can also connect to the dock which has dual 4k's and I haven't done that yet on the iPad. I do have the iPad Pro but that is for illustration and other work.
No matter what you use - Mac, PC, iPad, etc. - the only way you'll truly get what you want is to start with the highest quality possible.
Make sure you screens are calibrated too. It makes a huge difference on what everyone sees here.

On my M2P I shoot both RAW and JPG. If the JPG looks good, I'll just use it, but I do have the RAW file just in case in need to push highlights and shadows more than the JPG data allows. It's a great camera and I don't think there is any problem with the horizon issues.

You specifically wrote that the machine couldn't "handle" the task. That was your word, not mine. My reply was specifically to your comment, and I quote, "The ipad probably is too weak to handle the full resolution pics."

You weren't talking about professional TV work, you said an iPad can't handle full-resolution RAW still photos. On that, you were clearly incorrect and giving the OP bad information.

We're not talking about editing the latest episode of "Game of Thrones" or any other professional TV work. We're talking about editing photos and videos shot on a consumer drone, largely for sharing on YouTube. And for that, recent iPads are more than capable.

This was taken without taking much time to set up. I shot this in raw and then converted to jpeg.
The other comments are correct. The preview images look exactly like yours. I don’t believe there is anything wrong with your drone or camera. ECE6138C-C209-4ABA-BB11-5324F47B3035.jpeg

I cannot shoot any good pictures. Is it me or my Mavic 2 Pro?

So pixel heavy and just noisy. I have tried many different settings and adjustments and I cant get close to a good picture.

I have attached an example photo.

Thanks ahead of time!

Any suggestions before i send this to DJI to figure out? View attachment 66661
I had this happen to me last week out of the blue! No idea why but I went into 'camera' and set the parameters I wanted. This fixed it for me.

View attachment 66842

I put it in HDR mode and this seems better. But it wont let me out of auto mode and cant shoot in RAW.

HRD is not shooting mode per say. It takes one HDR type shot. That's why you can't shoot in RAW and take it out of Auto.

My best results have been to shoot in Manual and ALWAYS shoot in RAW (if your not comfortable with manual then Aperture priority or "A" will work stay below F5.6 as this is the sweet spot of the camera). Shoot AEB 3 brackets and combine the 3 shots in lightroom. This will yield good results and you are guaranteed at least one properly exposed shot.

Just a quick photo of a real world Real Estate photo I shot over the last week.

Nothing wrong with the Mavic 2 Pro's camera IMO =)DJI_0957-HDR.jpg

Reactions: NOS77
Are you just looking at raw files in the file manager? They are going to be small until processed.

Yeah i was making a rookie mistake. I didn’t open these files in an app that could handle RAW files. I am using Afterlight and things are much better.AfterlightImage.JPG

Thank you, using 5 bracketed shots

You might want to remember the water reflections when doing HDR.. Your water reflection closest to the horizon is showing what the sky looked like in that exposed image, that is, the white sky, due to over exposed sky to get correctly exposed ground area. Take a little of that golden colour of the sky and add a bit in the water reflection to give it more authenticity

I know if you took the image that gave you the dark rich red sky, the reflection part of the water would have to be too dark, of course, but maybe you can just get a little of that colour to filter through.

You might want to remember the water reflections when doing HDR.. Your water reflection closest to the horizon is showing what the sky looked like in that exposed image, that is, the white sky, due to over exposed sky to get correctly exposed ground area. Take a little of that golden colour of the sky and add a bit in the water reflection to give it more authenticity

I know if you took the image that gave you the dark rich red sky, the reflection part of the water would have to be too dark, of course, but maybe you can just get a little of that colour to filter through.

I gotcha, good tip. I appreciate the feedback.

NOS77, The image is vastly over-sharpened in the DJI app. Set sharpening to 0 or 1. I ran the image through Topaz A.I. GiGapixel to enlarge the base image and resolve some of the over sharpening. I finished processing in Skylum Luminar 3 and Aurora HDR. I highly recommend shooting in RAW instead of JPEG and shoot in the largest image size possible to give more latitude in post. Lightroom for the iPAD can deal with RAW images.View attachment 67043
You don't need RAW nor the largest image possible, if you are just showing people your images on ipad or on a computer monitor, because those screens only display up to a certain limit, which is much lower than the max image size you are suggesting. Also the huge amount of memory needed for shooting the way you suggest means a person, who does not need that sort of image file, would be spending tons time and money in doing post work on each file and filling HDs very quickly.

You need to determine from the OP what the end use will be before suggesting something that is going to cost him lots of extra money and take all his free time, just to get to an image that may look on the surface at least 80% with no post work to it, as the RAW image with all the work being done to it. And the user would have to know what they are doing in post, otherwise it is all a complete waste of their time and money.

Last edited:
Hi all,
So yesterday I took my Mavic2 out for it’s maiden voyage and came across this issue when I tried to view the photos on my iPad.
After a few minutes of playing I found out the following,
The iPad (mini 5) can edit raw images, in fact it does so really well.
The issue is that it doesn’t show the full image until it has been edited. Until then it’ll only display the low res thumbnails, it’ll even only show the low res information for the photo. But as soon as you edit the raw information (you can use the photos app) it then saves the full res photo, info n all.
At first I thought it odd, but now I come to think about it, the workflow makes sense as raw data it designed specifically to edit in post.
Hopefully this might help if it’s catching someone out.
Happy flights ?

I don't know if this helps but I use a ND-8 filter and shutter opening to take pictures. I shoot is 1080 only.
Don't use an ND Filter for stills. The filters are for video unless you have a specific effect in mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada