DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum worth the extra?

If you look at people reviewing the new quieter blades that work on the Mavic Pro (not Platinum), users report they get between 3-4 minutes extra flight time.
Got a link to any of those reviews?

Hi guys. Thanks for all your replies. It was a great help in making the right choice. I've now ordered the MP FMC and can't wait for it to arrive :)

Reactions: Howieal

+1 , Your not going to get extra flight time without the new Platinum esc's , so I would doubt those reviews which say they can get extra flight time out of the normal mavic with platinum props

I do: On Amazon: for the official DJI Platinum blades: I put these on a mavic pro and amazingly the reduction in noise is immediately noticeable. They are slightly longer than the standard blades. I seem to get a couple of minutes more flying time too. Though I don’t have scientific data my batteries are lasting up to 32 minutes. The windless weather could be helping but never had 32 minutes on the standard blades.

I was actually researching feedback on the new blades on mavic pro's, before seeing posts in MavicPilots. As you can see from my profile I just signed-up today to be able to respond to posts and ask questions (I'm a mavic pro newbie :) ). In my research on Google on just the blades for use on Mavic pro's I came across 3-4 posts talking about the extra flight time gained. I'd have to go back through all my history to dig those up again, but just google DJI Platinum blades reviews and you'll see a number of posts.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Mavic-...14903978&sr=8-1&keywords=mavic+pro+propellers

EDIT2: I am thinking of getting some replacement blades (the new Platinum type) as spares, which was the reason for my search in the first place, and I will run some tests to see if they make any difference and report back.

Last edited:
Agree that the FMC is a deal breaker. The ability to charge 3 batteries in under an hour is great, extra props always good and the car charger works very well too.
The only reason I got the Platinum was for its resell value: if I upgrade later this year or in 2019, I hope to get some extra $ back since it's a newer model.

Not sure if getting the FMC is a good deal, unless the big discount applies only to the FMC, not just the basic is the better option. I've created a spreadsheet awhile back, comparing the prices. The 'price' of the Mavic itself is reverse calculated for the Mavic only price. All accessories are based on individual retail price from DJI store. Prices are in AUD.
Note: I can't upload xls or csv file. So I had to save as txt to upload, and formulas are gone.

Edit: The 'retail' price of the MPP listed as only $100 more than the MP. Then again, when the alpine version came out, it was $1649 (discount of $50 from $1699), but now it's $1699 (discount of $242 from $1941). For the identical package! So, it looks like DJI's retail price is whatever they want.

Attachments

• Mavic Price Compare.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You can’t hack the platinum (As far as I know) if you live in an area that would cause restrictions then the MP FMC would be the better choice

You can’t hack the platinum (As far as I know) if you live in an area that would cause restrictions then the MP FMC would be the better choice
You can roll back 0100 firmware now.

I bought the mpp on its own and pieced the accessories I wanted. It ended up being cheaper. I have the same amount of batteries and the bag I wanted. All priced from Amazon. Only problem is 2 of my batteries don’t match the color of my mpp. The mp batteries were $10 cheaper so went with that. All from Amazon Prime

Reactions: chankc28
So are there any issues specific to the MPP that do not effect the MP? I am looking to buy another Mavic, having already sold my previous one back in November once it past out of warranty and had flown 1500km and 110 hours.
Just wanted to check there are no ongoing issues that are specific to the MPP before I grab one.

I just wanted to give a heads ud on my experience with choosing the MP FMC. It's definitely a really nice drone! And due to a busy week I've only flown with it twice. But it's so much fun! And I'm glad I choose the MP, because it's silent enough for me and the flight time is too. One thing that bothered me though with the FMC was the included bag. I didn't realize how tiny that thin was. I'd figure that DJI would include a bag that can hold the accessories in the FMC but I was wrong. So I've now ordered a bag from Lowepro :) But the drone is sooooo cool! :)

Two of my friends have the standard Mavic Pro. I've been with them when they flew their Mavics. I know the sound a standard Mavic makes. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. The difference in the sound level (and frequency) is worth it for me. The Platinum has less "beehive" sound. Less high-pitched whine. And it's NOT just the propellers. The Platinum model has entirely different motor escapements. They aren't as noisy (buzzy).

Mark

Reactions: BobAld
Two of my friends have the standard Mavic Pro. I've been with them when they flew their Mavics. I know the sound a standard Mavic makes. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. The difference in the sound level (and frequency) is worth it for me. The Platinum has less "beehive" sound. Less high-pitched whine. And it's NOT just the propellers. The Platinum model has entirely different motor escapements. They aren't as noisy (buzzy).

Mark
Thanks for the feedback. I bit the bullet and ordered a Platinum Combo this morning. Mainly because it is newer, quieter and has that little bit of extra endurance.
BTW they are not "escapements" they are ESCs which are the electronic speed controllers for the motors ;-)

I waited longer (and paid USD$100 more) for my MPP and I have no regrets. With the number of jerks out there who go apes*it when they see a drone, the more stealth you can have the better.

Reactions: lannes
Just to clarify; I'm not saying that the MPP isn't a more silent drone, because of off it is, but just that the price difference for me ($500) didn't make the silence and extra flight time worth it. I can see if it's only 100$ but that wasn't the case here. And also that the FMC-bag sucks, so if anyone buys the FMC for the bag, don't. So thanks for the help to all of you helping me choose :)

Yeah would not be worth that $500 price increment. For me the reduced sound appeals as do the newer ESCs (hardware).

Everyone is different but I totally disagree with you on the Fly More Combo bag. I am upgrading/renewing an existing Mavic Pro which I on sold in Nov.. I used the Combo bag extensively for 12 months and loved it and am more than happy to go with it again. I liked it because it allowed me to fit everything I need into a small package the size of a DSLR case. I did not cart the car charger or the battery phone charger thing in it, as I found I never used them. Everything else fits though. Makes the whole kit super compact, inconspicuous and I can then throw it in the bottom of my wheelie bag when I travel.
But I also see how you could want something larger. Some like the Lowenpros or the full Pelican case, mobile workshop approach where you arrive and set everything up like a technician.

Just to clarify; I'm not saying that the MPP isn't a more silent drone, because of off it is, but just that the price difference for me ($500) didn't make the silence and extra flight time worth it. I can see if it's only 100$ but that wasn't the case here. And also that the FMC-bag sucks, so if anyone buys the FMC for the bag, don't. So thanks for the help to all of you helping me choose :)

What part of the world are you in, even in Australia the two models are less than USD 100 difference based on their RRP ?

Skip to 2:00 for the real comparison.

Actually, the best spot to skip to is 1:48.

Excellent video, thank you for sharing. After watching that video I don't know why anyone would skip the Platinum. It's very much worth the extra coin.

Mark

Reactions: lolo780
What part of the world are you in, even in Australia the two models are less than USD 100 difference based on their RRP ?
..and if you shop around in Australia, as I did - you can buy the MPP FMC for 1999 which is the same as the MP FMC price at JB HiFi.
However a few weeks back I did see the MP FMC on special in store for 1799, which may have been compelling for someone. $400 difference on the day. Specials on the non Platinum throw up a marked price difference from time to time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat