DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum worth the extra?

I went with the MPP FMC and it was not that much more ($100 maybe?) than the MP FMC. I'm quite happy with the value and utility of the FMC. The DJI bag, albeit small, will hold all the equipment that comes with the FMC. If you can't fit everthing in the bag, checkout YouTube, there are several videos explaining how to do it. The motivation, for me, to go with the MPP over the MP was the noise reduction. The MPP is definitely quieter but, more importantly, its sound is far less annoying and significantly more tolerable than the MP. The new prop design is part of it but the new ESC is a big part of it, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I bit the bullet and ordered a Platinum Combo this morning. Mainly because it is newer, quieter and has that little bit of extra endurance.
BTW they are not "escapements" they are ESCs which are the electronic speed controllers for the motors ;-)
I got the Platinum because they were quieter and where I would do most of my flying was around my sub-division, so keeping the noise to a minimum was a plus for me.

I am a new pilot, and very much in learner phase. I bought a Platinum Fly More Combo and am very happy with it. Looking at the forums I cannot help that feel that there is more to the Platinum than longer flight time and noise suppression. The reason I say this is that I have not, at this stage experienced any of the issues that members talk of. GO 4 on a Samsung S5 is my setup. Is there any info on whether the Platinum drone or controller have been updated to enhance reliability and/or stability of software?
The Fly More combo is definitely worth it for the batteries alone. One battery will only result in frustration. If dollars were paramount I would wait for the Platinum to come down from the waiting list phase and buy then at a reduced price.
My greatest frustration is reflection from the sun on the controller and smartphone screens. The Gold Coast in Australia has beautiful sunshine almost every day so dawn and dusk are the go to times of day. I do not feel that the Crystal Sky is worth the money. I may replace my Galaxy S5 with a S8+ as it has far superior peak brightness to the S5. At least I will get a new smartphone at the same time. Has anyone had experience with the S8 in bright conditions?

Reactions: memtenn60
My greatest frustration is reflection from the sun on the controller and smartphone screens. The Gold Coast in Australia has beautiful sunshine almost every day so dawn and dusk are the go to times of day. I do not feel that the Crystal Sky is worth the money. I may replace my Galaxy S5 with a S8+ as it has far superior peak brightness to the S5. At least I will get a new smartphone at the same time. Has anyone had experience with the S8 in bright conditions?

Get this style of sun hood to help with the glare, PGYTECH hood is the easiest to put on and take off

PGYTECH

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking in the shadows for weeks on this topic. As a first time drone owner, I wanted something fun that wasn’t terribly annoying. I set my sights on the MP/MPP, but didn’t want to spend more money than I thought was reasonable. This is just going to be a fun hobby for me, so I’m not too concerned with picture/video quality. The MP definitely has a great mix of quiet and quality imaging packed into it, which is what drew me to it. Then there are the claims about the Mavic Pro Platinum being even quieter. This all being said, I got an opportunity to extensively test both models out.

Everyone can agree...if it’s stock MP vs stock MPP, the winner is MPP. What I have observed, is its MOSTLY about the props. They’re longer, lighter, and have a more efficient tip. The only difference I noticed with the motors themselves, is the higher frequency noise that comes from the MP. It just doesn’t exist on the MPP, which many reviewers have pointed out, but it really isn’t that noticeable unless you’re within 100 feet or so of the drone. At altitude, I think the low pitch prop noise drowns out the high pitch motor noise. Another interesting thing I noticed was the hover RPMs for the MP with MPP props was lower than the MPP with MPP props.

Moving on to cost. These prices are all for authorized DJI dealers - I’ve seen MP FMC as low as $1080USD ($219 off). Buy some MPP props, and it’s almost the same price as the base MPP. On occasion I’ve also seen the MPP FMC dip to $1299USD ($100 off), but if I can have basically the same thing for $220 less than the “bargain” MPP price, why wouldn’t I spend less?

Why wouldn't you spend less? Because they are not the same aircraft. o_O Putting the MPP blades on a MP does not a Pro Plantinum make.

There are more differences than many realize, apparently even small details DJI hasn't mentioned but some users have discovered. The cost difference more than covers these differences.

When ordering mine (due to arrive tomorrow), I went ahead and got the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo. Eventually, you're very likely to buy everything that's already included, which you'll need sooner or later. So save a few coins and get the Fly More Combo would be my suggestion.

Regardless of what you to choose to do, do not think you're getting a MPP for the price of a MP, cause it just ain't so.

Reactions: Bradd1146
I’ve been lurking in the shadows for weeks on this topic. As a first time drone owner, I wanted something fun that wasn’t terribly annoying. I set my sights on the MP/MPP, but didn’t want to spend more money than I thought was reasonable. This is just going to be a fun hobby for me, so I’m not too concerned with picture/video quality. The MP definitely has a great mix of quiet and quality imaging packed into it, which is what drew me to it. Then there are the claims about the Mavic Pro Platinum being even quieter. This all being said, I got an opportunity to extensively test both models out.

Everyone can agree...if it’s stock MP vs stock MPP, the winner is MPP. What I have observed, is its MOSTLY about the props. They’re longer, lighter, and have a more efficient tip. The only difference I noticed with the motors themselves, is the higher frequency noise that comes from the MP. It just doesn’t exist on the MPP, which many reviewers have pointed out, but it really isn’t that noticeable unless you’re within 100 feet or so of the drone. At altitude, I think the low pitch prop noise drowns out the high pitch motor noise. Another interesting thing I noticed was the hover RPMs for the MP with MPP props was lower than the MPP with MPP props.

Moving on to cost. These prices are all for authorized DJI dealers - I’ve seen MP FMC as low as $1080USD ($219 off). Buy some MPP props, and it’s almost the same price as the base MPP. On occasion I’ve also seen the MPP FMC dip to $1299USD ($100 off), but if I can have basically the same thing for $220 less than the “bargain” MPP price, why wouldn’t I spend less?

If your a first time drone owner, you should be considering the Mavic Air, this seems to fit your requirements better, it has more beginner fail-safe's like APAS and rear facing obstacle avoidance sensors

Reactions: JayNC

I don’t think that the MP with MPP props were lower rpms. This is a pretty good video here.

Reactions: PlatinumPilot

I don’t think that the MP with MPP props were lower rpms. This is a pretty good video here.

In my tests, the MP had lower RPMs than the MPP. I’m sure each and every aircraft is going to behive differently. See what I did there ;) Or maybe I have a bad MPP. I will say the startup tone makes it sound like a sick puppy, but I’m sure that’s got nothing to do with anything else.

If your a first time drone owner, you should be considering the Mavic Air, this seems to fit your requirements better, it has more beginner fail-safe's like APAS and rear facing obstacle avoidance sensors

It also uses WiFi, and I’m in an area where I suspect a lot of interference. I don’t buy the first model of anything until it’s proven to work. That’s just me though, and why I ended up with the Pro.

In my tests, the MP had lower RPMs than the MPP. I’m sure each and every aircraft is going to behive differently. See what I did there ;) Or maybe I have a bad MPP. I will say the startup tone makes it sound like a sick puppy, but I’m sure that’s got nothing to do with anything else.

Which one sounded like a sick puppy ?

MPP startup tone sounds muffled and doesn’t have distinctive different tones.

My MPP sounds like that as well...it sounds like battery is dying and it can just barely get the tones out....other than that it has been flawless though.... so I can't really complain.

Reactions: survivor711
I'm struggling with the same purchasing decision. Costco has a great deal on the MP. After adding all the accessories to be equivalent to a MPP FMC (including the purchase of the quieter props), the later is around $250 more. I would be willing to part with the extra $250 if it was clear that the MPP is worth it. I would love to hear opinions from pilots that have flow both MP & MPP.

I've now flown my Mavic Pro Platinum right next to a friend with a standard Mavic Pro. I am glad I paid the extra cash for the Platinum because it is most definitely quieter. And it's not just the propeller differences, the standard Mavic Pro's motors are definitely more high pitched and buzzy sounding. I absolutely prefer the sound of the Platinum.

Mark

I would buy the lesser cost of whatever you are considering. One year from now all of these will be "the older model". There will always be something better coming out. Save that $250 for your next upgrade. The Mavic Pro is a fine machine. If you can get it with that much of a discount ask yourself how a different sound can be worth $250 when both models you're considering will be obsolete in a relatively short time. I've had a Phantom 3 Standard and now have the MPP. But also a Tello and just bought a Spark. I only bought the Spark, because, like you, it is at a good discount including the controller. Deals make you feel better when you spend so much. And in this hobby, there is always a new model coming soon to entice you to upgrade.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661