DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Please help me figure out what drone took this photo...

• Thread starter Deleted member 153218
  • Start date
I messed up that shot, I didn’t have a cir-pl on the drone. The water is too hot, because this was in the afternoon and the sun was radiating into the picture. I always try to line my shots up now with the sun directly behind the drone to achieve optimal results, like this:
View attachment 132058
Which they won’t give me appreciation for :(
View attachment 132059
I get no love for these photos. It is impossible to achieve a better photo, unless you bring out a bigger sensor.
View attachment 132060
I’m going to get the ND8PL, ND16PL, ND32PL & ND64PL for the Mini, and I’m going to learn how to perfect those lenses. I know how to achieve perfection at the Golden Minute...now my goal is to rule the rest of the day...

- God Bless

Rebel
View attachment 132061
It's actually called the "golden hour", not moment or minute.

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich
I have an old Mavic Pro and you can change the Camera from vertical to horizontal just like a Cellphone! Or it could have been a Inspire 2 which with the big lenses they use could have taken that shot with ease!

I have an old Mavic Pro and you can change the Camera from vertical to horizontal just like a Cellphone! Or it could have been a Inspire 2 which with the big lenses they use could have taken that shot with ease!
I’m 100% positive it is either the Inspire with a 16mm lens under it, (which is a $9000 setup versus my $300 setup) or a fisheye attachment. I seriously doubt that it could be a fisheye because there is no noticeable bleeding on the edges of his photo. No Mavic I am aware of can get this wide of a shot with the lens it comes with. I went back this morning and got these shots. I was about 30 minutes late getting there, but I know I could do this in the Golden Hour AM and achieve better results.
6E13FF06-0D5B-4150-8555-3C07EDC14AA9.jpegDAD2DA07-B57D-4150-B345-FE17D728C52C.jpegCE37EF4B-8D36-46D0-B038-65DD3614307F.jpegD7958808-133E-4EDB-A395-10E7371BFEAB.jpeg

Reactions: brett8883
I’m 100% positive it is either the Inspire with a 16mm lens under it, (which is a $9000 setup versus my $300 setup) or a fisheye attachment. No Mavic I am aware of can get this wide of a shot with the lens it comes with.
You must have missed the members who pointed out that his photo was a composite made up from multiple images ??
Forget trying to make sense of what equipment he used or what difference it made.
Your guesses are a long way short of the truth.

Reactions: Kilrah
There will always be someone bigger and better, whether they have a better drone or better Techniques, a faster car, or a bigger truck. This hobby has grown very fast in the last few years and I am sure there have been a lot of people flying in that beautiful area. If I lived around there I would get some photos with my Mavic Mini 1.
Keep up the good work !

Reactions: TerryToast
I’m 100% positive it is either the Inspire with a 16mm lens under it, (which is a $9000 setup versus my $300 setup) or a fisheye attachment. I seriously doubt that it could be a fisheye because there is no noticeable bleeding on the edges of his photo. No Mavic I am aware of can get this wide of a shot with the lens it comes with. I went back this morning and got these shots. I was about 30 minutes late getting there, but I know I could do this in the Golden Hour AM and achieve better results.
View attachment 132085View attachment 132086View attachment 132087View attachment 132088
?Nice! I like them, much improved.

The other person is definitely using panoramas to achieve the ultra wide angle. His photos are literally labeled as such. However, you’ll always get better results if you can get further away and avoid having to stitch photos together like you have. Yours do not suffer from weird distortion like his.

Also, [edited for clarity] you have misunderstood some things about the technical aspects of the optics here. The DJI 16mm f/2.8 ASPH ND for the Inspire 2’s X7 camera you are referring to is stating it’s actual focal length of 16mm. On the APS-C sized X7 sensor this translates to about 24mm equivalent.

The Mavic Mini on the other hand is stating it’s equivalent focal length of 24mm not its actual focal length. So actually the Mavic Mini has the exact same field of view as the I2 with the X7 and 16mm lens.

Last edited:
?Nice! I like them, much improved.

The other person is definitely using panoramas to achieve the ultra wide angle. His photos are literally labeled as such. However, you’ll always get better results if you can get further away and avoid having to stitch photos together like you have. Yours do not suffer from weird distortion like his.

Also, you have a lot to learn about the technical aspects of photography and optics. The DJI 16mm f/2.8 ASPH ND for the Inspire 2’s X7 camera you are referring to is stating it’s actual focal length of 16mm. On the APS-C sized X7 sensor this translates to about 24mm equivalent.

The Mavic Mini on the other hand is stating it’s equivalent focal length of 24mm not its actual focal length. So actually the Mavic Mini has the exact same field of view as the I2 with the X7 and 16mm lens.
I apologize sir, I am a novice at this. I am just seeking knowledge and experience, so I can be better at this to “inspire” others to join me. I’m a Triple Crown Backpacker who carried a Mavic Mini along the Colorado & Florida Trail for over 1,000 miles and didn’t use it right. I’m determined to learn from my mistakes and get better

Reactions: brett8883 and dozzn
I apologize sir, I am a novice at this. I am just seeking knowledge and experience, so I can be better at this to “inspire” others to join me. I’m a Triple Crown Backpacker who carried a Mavic Mini along the Colorado & Florida Trail for over 1,000 miles and didn’t use it right. I’m determined to learn from my mistakes and get better
Well now I apologize. I didn’t mean to say anything that would make you think you needed to apologize for something. I just said you had a lot to learn. Nothing wrong with that. That’s what we are here for.

You don’t have anything to apologize for. If I could redo it I would have said to the effect of “You’ve misunderstood some things. Here’s where you went wrong.” That’s all I meant. Sorry about the confusion

Here’s a photo that illustrates what I mean.
2B373EB0-C81A-4522-B80D-3373A8D1E8A6.png
The red box is the full frame projection of a 24mm lens. On the APS-C sized sensor on the X7 you’ll only see what is in the yellow box and on the Mini you’ll only see what is in the orange box if you use a 24mm lens. To compensate for this to get the same full frame field of view of a 24mm lens on the X7 you need a 16mm lens and on the mini you need 4mm lens which is what they have. Does that make any sense? The smaller the sensor the more the lens gets cropped.

May I ask if the OP is annoyed by this other "guy" getting more likes on his photo as a vanity issue? Or is there a financial or professional loss because his photo got bumped?

Exactly! The new picture is simply better. It has nothing it do with the drone.

No shame in being outdone mate, it happens to us all.
I‘m outdone most of the time!!

Attachments

• 1626780695043.png
    1626780695043.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TerryToast
Here's another photo that I took of the very same railroad bridge over the Manatee River in Bradenton FL.
Just a different angle....

Attachments

• F2F723AAC7E9B6F14A6E2BFB36596633-1.jpg
    F2F723AAC7E9B6F14A6E2BFB36596633-1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
You know right! Did not know "we" could claim a spot / area as our own. Seems someone needs to grow up and learn facts of life. Public property is exactly that and anyone with a drone can fly where it's legal.
I took the OP's "my house" comment as being just a wee bit tongue-in-cheek.

The palm tree shadows show that the sun is lower in the second shot, so earlier in the day. Light is usually better when the sun is lower, you tend to get more dynamic range and color saturation in the shot.

Your shot is taken with the sun at 1 o'clock and suffers from direct reflections off the water and generally a lack of dynamic range typical of a midday scene, both from a photographic perspective and when viewing the scene with the naked eye in real time. There is a bit of haze in the scene as well contributing to the flatness of the light.

Try shooting it again just after sunrise and grok the difference, would be my advice.

Reactions: Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998