DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Please help me figure out what drone took this photo...

• Thread starter Deleted member 153218
  • Start date
first one is the Mini 2 its the only drone with the zoom on the Photo . ;)
Those are some cool shots! You tricked me! How do those three drone shoot their panos, it is just a sequence of shots in one row taking less than 10 seconds, or does it move back and forth shooting a bunch of rows with the columns?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Exactly! The new picture is simply better. It has nothing it do with the drone.

No shame in being outdone mate, it happens to us all.
I messed up that shot, I didn’t have a cir-pl on the drone. The water is too hot, because this was in the afternoon and the sun was radiating into the picture. I always try to line my shots up now with the sun directly behind the drone to achieve optimal results, like this:
9C40FE08-F01D-417E-AA0E-8062E812ADDD.jpeg
Which they won’t give me appreciation for :(
FAA57031-6D52-4446-B7B8-81ED3C21776A.jpeg
I get no love for these photos. It is impossible to achieve a better photo, unless you bring out a bigger sensor.
12EA0C9E-4C58-41E7-9CFA-367FEB7969BC.jpeg
I’m going to get the ND8PL, ND16PL, ND32PL & ND64PL for the Mini, and I’m going to learn how to perfect those lenses. I know how to achieve perfection at the Golden Minute...now my goal is to rule the rest of the day...

- God Bless

Rebel
CA8588B9-EAAB-45A2-B9EE-4BAC2BC380F8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I messed up that shot, I didn’t have a cir-pl on the drone. The water is too hot, because this was in the afternoon and the sun was radiating into the picture. I always try to line my shots up now with the sun directly behind the drone to achieve optimal results, like this:
View attachment 132058
View attachment 132059
I get no love for these photos. It is impossible to achieve a better photo, unless you bring out a bigger sensor.
View attachment 132060
Lol! It’s definitely possible to get a better photo.

I have taken some amazing photos and video of which I am very proud. Great composition, rule of thirds, golden hour lighting, etc, etc. But then a month later there is an amazing sunset where the sky is on fire and it’s autumn/fall with the trees popping with natural colours, and someone else gets that photo which kills my pic. Or someone else simply has better photography skills than me, adds a foreground element into the shot and frames the subject and BANG their photo slaughters mine. It happens.

I can’t get the actual jpeg or raw file, it’s the image for locations off Google Maps...it’s obviously compressed, but by looking at the sharpness and details once would think it must be a drone with a variable aperture. This shot is definitely not shot at F2.8. The depth of field of this glass is amazingView attachment 132057
Small sensors have more depth of field (because they need wider angle lenses) so even at f/2.8 the hyperfocal distance of something like the Mavic Pro is only a few feet. For this reason the Mavic Air didn’t even have adjustable focus with the same sensor. Both are easily capable of this shot. If it was a large sensor like FF or APS-C you might be right but not in this case.

No way he could do that shot with a Mavic Mini 1 on Litchi. The boats would be all over the place because of the columns and rows needed to perform that. Plus the panos on litchi don’t look that good off the sensor. It’s gotta be a 1” sensor minimum & he must of done it a few months back.

I know that rowing facility shot was performed around 8 am because of the shadows from the Finishing Tower. My ground photo was done at the Golden moment PM at a time of the year when I knew the sun lined up with the glass when it set. There is nothing interesting going on in his photo, he just has the drone at higher than 1400 feet at 8 am. His image appears taller than mine, and I doubt he cropped it. None of my photos come out with that size on Google Maps, there is always a black bar on the iPad, his photo is perfectly cropped for a iPad Pro screen edge-to-edge.

I know I could beat this photo if I had it up in the air like this when the National Championships are going on and there is a mass throng of cars and people everywhere...the problem is that they don’t do a bunch of stuff early in the morning, which is the time this was shot. My plan would be to slap a ND 32PL filter and have it twisted right and then bring it up at this same spot at 11 am when there would be a bunch of boats all over the water and mass crowds everywhere. That is the money shot
All the recent DJI drones have built-in pano modes that take several photos horizontally and vertically then compiles them automatically within a matter of 20-30 seconds. It gives the appearance of a much larger photo taken from a higher altitude. As an example the attached photo is taken at 295ft AGL, since the pano is 3 images high and 5 wide it gives the impression of an image taken at a higher altitude. No seam lines are visible even in straight lines and since all of the photos are taken within 20 seconds of each other motion in overlap (ghosting) usually isn't visible. Your nemesis' photo file name says it was a Pano, I'm guessing this may be the method in which he photographed. DJI_0109 SM.JPG

View attachment 132058
View attachment 132059
View attachment 132060
I’m going to get the ND8PL, ND16PL, ND32PL & ND64PL for the Mini, and I’m going to learn how to perfect those lenses. I know how to achieve perfection at the Golden Minute...now my goal is to rule the rest of the day...

- God Bless

Rebel
View attachment 132061
I would say in Drone photography the sensor size makes almost no difference. In low light, yes but not in broad daylight.

Shot this with my Mavic Pro DJI_0055-3.jpg
And this is with my Inspire 2
DJI_0210.jpg
This is a massive difference in sensor size and resolution but I don't really see a massive difference in photo quality. I really only use the Inspire 2 for video and low light photos now.

Low light it does matter. View attachment DJI_0815.jpg
Inspire 2 after sunset

Attachments

• DJI_0815.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
View attachment 132058
View attachment 132059
View attachment 132060

- God Bless

Rebel
View attachment 132061
One last piece of advice is that ND filters are for video or in photos if you want to get some motion blur. They will actually make your photos softer so if you want sharp photos ND filters are not what you want. Circular polarized are great and highly recommended but get a clear one without the ND part for best photo results

These are good photos! Maybe just try shooting a little further away to give some context, that’s what most people are looking for in drone photos. I know drives me crazy too but gotta give the people what they want

I
Please do not get the ND filters , you will be so disappointed.

February of 2021 was the day when I took my Photography skills to a new level.

I had this major Revelation : Take the Picture so that the editing software being used LOVE IT.
because like it or not that is where all the magic takes place.

I posted this thread and I never looked back as my level of what was possible was elevated.
I realized that you need to master editing as much as you do the Camera .

Here is the thread I posted that showed me the way. Its why you can no longer tell if I shoot with a Mini 2 or the Mavic 2 Pro

This is about 1 minute of editing , 15 minutes would really be the polish if you were so inclined.
edited for clipping.
screenshot_04.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Attachments

• screenshot_03.png
    screenshot_03.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Please do not get the ND filters , you will be so disappointed.

February of 2021 was the day when I took my Photography skills to a new level.

I had this major Revelation : Take the Picture so that the editing software being used LOVE IT.
because like it or not that is where all the magic takes place.

I posted this thread and I never looked back as my level of what was possible was elevated.
I realized that you need to master editing as much as you do the Camera .

Here is the thread I posted that showed me the way. Its why you can no longer tell if I shoot with a Mini 2 or the Mavic 2 Pro

This is about 1 minute of editing , 15 minutes would really be the polish if you were so inclined.

View attachment 132068

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Ahh your before is way better my man. When you pull up your whites and down your blacks you don’t to do it so much that it clips. Embrace shadows and highlights don’t be be afraid of them!

When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?
None of this makes any sense.
You can't tell anything about an image by analysing a screenshot.
You have a lot to learn about photography.

The original file is 362KB and small, <2MP.

Clipboard01.png

A pano from a DJI aircraft when stitched from DNGs will come up with a 100+ megapixel image, that can be well processed and when downsized to less than 2MP will come out very clean.

This is a mini2 pano, it was underexposed, it was dark, viewing the merge at 100% is horribly blurry and grainy, but once processed and resized from 133MP to <2 it can look just fine.

Clipboard02.png

Clipboard01.jpg

DJI_0001-Pano_r.jpg

Wide angle landscape shots always tend to "wow" people more, it's not surprising the guy's shot with the nice blue sky and entire area has more success. The good thing is that the pano feature is there to do that :)

Last edited:
The photo referenced in the original post isn't even that good. Its just a wider view of the area because it is taken in a pano. It lacks a good subject. The ultimate shot would probably be some combination of the OP's original picture to put greater focus on the building and a pano to keep the greater sense of scale.

You're giving me the impression that you believe the other photographer was acting maliciously. It looks to me like it's a great scene to capture from a drone and it seems quite possible, even probable, that there are other drones pilots who have discovered it, with or without seeing your photo first. Maybe someone did see your shot and wanted to take one for him/her self with no intention of trying to out-do you.

Also, Photoshop ACR has a feature called "Enhance" that doubles the resolution of any photo using AI, so I'm not sure you can ID the drone by resolution anymore.

If I had taken your shot and I saw another one of the same scene (either better or worse), I might go back and take a series from different angles and altitudes just for my own satisfaction, and if I thought the other shot was better than mine, I'd experiment with different settings just to see if I could improve my technique.

The only thing I wouldn't do is be upset that someone else captured the same scene.

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich
It could be anything. The pic doesn't have to come from the drone's camera itself. It could be a pic from 3rd party camera attached to the drone, however this is unlikely. You would need to find a list of drones with wide angle cameras and their image storage sizes. The task you seek to accomplish seems to be a futile endeavor.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich
I like your picture better because of it's detail and the activity going on. The other guys picture may show more of the area, but has less detail, but, it also does have better composition. I liked his at first, until I opened it on my computer screen and found it blurry. Yours on the other hand, when I clicked on it to view, had much more detail and interesting things to look at. Like someone else said, the people that probably viewed and liked his better, were viewing it on a small screen like a cell phone or tablet.

Pano aside, their is another technique used that enhances and makes the photo much larger in size. Stacking. Taking a rapid set of the same photo, 10-20 or more images, then stacking them to create a megapixel photo. Not used in this case, but could have been the answer to the ops original question how did he get such a large photo.

Exactly! The new picture is simply better. It has nothing it do with the drone.

No shame in being outdone mate, it happens to us all.
You know right! Did not know "we" could claim a spot / area as our own. Seems someone needs to grow up and learn facts of life. Public property is exactly that and anyone with a drone can fly where it's legal.

Reactions: hiflyer201

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas