DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Please help me figure out what drone took this photo...

• Thread starter Deleted member 153218
  • Start date
Maybe the new photo is simply a better photo then your old photo? The new photo has been shot from further away, which gives viewers more perspective on the location.

When viewers like/dislike photos, it’s very rare for them to care if it’s a 3MB or 11MB photo.

Maybe the new photo is simply a better photo then your old photo? The new photo has been shot from further away, which gives viewers more perspective on the location.

When viewers like/dislike photos, it’s very rare for them to care if it’s a 3MB or 11MB photo.

Farther away, not further. Farther is used to describe actual, measurable, physical distances. Further is used to describe metaphysical distance; example: a college education will take you further in your career, than just a high school education.

I hope that this helps.

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich
Like others have stated, there is no way you can see a photo online and make some determination about the camera that took it based on the size of the image. One reason is that you can (and I have) process any photo taken from any camera regardless of its sensor size and through software such as Photoshop or Topaz Gigapixel and completely change its characteristics, including its format ratio and resolution, and scale it up or down. Topaz Gigapixel can increase the size of an image by 4x or larger and yield a massive, super high-resolution file with sharpening & noise reduction from a tiny cell phone photo. So, if there was post-processing involved, there's no way you can figure out what camera or even sensor size it actually came from.

Farther away, not further. Farther is used to describe actual, measurable, physical distances. Further is used to describe metaphysical distance; example: a college education will take you further in your career, than just a high school education.

I hope that this helps.
You corrected the farther over further however, you failed to notice the then rather than the correct word "Than" in the post.

I hope that this helps.
Sorry, my education is somewhat lacking.

I work at a college as a janitor even though I feel like I’m smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard, like half an equation and… I just figure it out.

Reactions: Tufargon

I work at a college as a janitor even though I feel like I’m smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard, like half an equation and… I just figure it out.
You probably are smarter too.

Sounds like the movie "Good Will Hunting".

No way he could do that shot with a Mavic Mini 1 on Litchi. The boats would be all over the place because of the columns and rows needed to perform that. Plus the panos on litchi don’t look that good off the sensor. It’s gotta be a 1” sensor minimum & he must of done it a few months back.

I know that rowing facility shot was performed around 8 am because of the shadows from the Finishing Tower. My ground photo was done at the Golden moment PM at a time of the year when I knew the sun lined up with the glass when it set. There is nothing interesting going on in his photo, he just has the drone at higher than 1400 feet at 8 am. His image appears taller than mine, and I doubt he cropped it. None of my photos come out with that size on Google Maps, there is always a black bar on the iPad, his photo is perfectly cropped for a iPad Pro screen edge-to-edge.

I know I could beat this photo if I had it up in the air like this when the National Championships are going on and there is a mass throng of cars and people everywhere...the problem is that they don’t do a bunch of stuff early in the morning, which is the time this was shot. My plan would be to slap a ND 32PL filter and have it twisted right and then bring it up at this same spot at 11 am when there would be a bunch of boats all over the water and mass crowds everywhere. That is the money shot
Beat the photo? Really? You are the only person who cares about your photos. As others have tried to tell you here, good photography is more about the artistic than the technical. I'd suggest you study his photos to see how you can improve yours creatively.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I hear your frustration but there is nothing you can do. Just for perspective on photo size, many drone cameras will take large photos depending on a variety of factors. It’s not difficult to get a photo over 20mb in Photoshop or something similar (and the photographer likely has no clue of the size). There are a lot of drones out there with some incredible technology..trying to reverse engineer the shot is impossible.
My suggestion, make a better one

Most of the people who liked his picture better were probably viewing it on mobile devices, or else on computers with a monitor resolution of around 1920x1080, more or less. In other words, they saw that your photo has no resolution problems at all.

The other guy's photo captures more of the surroundings, and shows some of the beautiful sky. It's a more striking visual composition, even though it shows less detail in the building and cars (at least as viewed on my monitor).

Once your technical quality reaches a certain point (and I believe yours has reached that point, certainly for web use), the technical merit doesn't matter nearly as much as the artistic. Take a class on photographic composition, or painting composition, since the principles are the same. Learn how to arrange the elements of your composition in pleasing geometric shapes.
Based on looking at the shadows: OP's shot was facing into a mid-day sun, 'mystery' shot was side-lit early morning... allowing for better looking water plus (as you noted) the presence of the nice blue sky. One other thing; the second shot has several interesting leading lines... so I agree the composition is superior.

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich
My Air 2S (1" sensor) pumps out jpgs at around 10MB, and raw files around 40MB. The file size is more a function of bit depth and pixel count than sensor size... my Nikon D700 has a full-frame sensor (MUCH bigger than 1") at only 12 megapixels and produces jpg files around 8MB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000