DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro or Skyreat ND filters

An absolutely brilliant thread and well worth the read, especially when I’m now looking into ND filters.

Thanks to all who posted, yeah I know it’s an old thread But that’s what the “search” icons for.;)

Reactions: dorgs and stberlin
Also skyreat is questionable quality. I bought their mount before I bought mavmount. It was a temp and it’s cheap Chinese ****.
And what you think the Mavmount is? Apart the good designed plate, the rest is just cheap Chinese stuff - you can get exact ball head, tablet mount and neck strap, all for under $10, so whatever the Mavmount cost, it's a total rip off as even well made plate doesn't justify the $50 plus mark.

Let’s just eliminate skyreat and kuquaa. They produce low grade drone accessories. So if the rest of their lines are this way and by no means have any expertise in photography, what are you buying? Polarpro is know very well for top quality. You can check out the boat load of reviews.

This is easy. You drop a grand on a drone, do you even want to chance skimping out on the quality of the only thing DJI drones are used for? Videography and photography. Would you drop a cheapie lens on your DSLR? I air on the side of caution and in reality they are not expensive. I’ve dropped 3 sets of NDs for my air. If the word is consistently positive for polar, this community would beat the hell out of a junk product. I haven’t seen a dissatisfied polar filter customer yet.

What I decided was that I don't think the VND filters are for me. I think sticking to simple is better. While we know that f4.0 is probably the sharpest aperture on the M2P, f5.6 is close as is f2.8. In sunlight an ND8 might be close enough in most situation and ND4 and 16 would be in reserve. While I don't anticipate using polarizers much, to have them in the Skyreat kit for less money than 3 PolarPro filters isn't a bad bonus.

What you say makes sense and possibly PolarPro might be better than all others. I get your point about saving $50 on a $1500 investment. But in the world of digital, where you have color grading and monitor calibration (or lack thereof) is there really a noticeable or functional difference at all? Back in the film days, I used to run with Hasselblad systems (I still have 4...Want to buy one off me?) and would blow images up to 30x40 and larger. Optically the difference between B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, Hasselblad and other filters was negligible (on $2000-$4000 lenses). What separated them was the coating and how the film responded to that coating in terms of color, but not sharpness. With digital there are many more things you can do with the images, including LUTs, infinite corrections, color grading etc. Other than optical distortion, uneven density/color across the image, how critical need one be in selecting these filters? I just looked at the filter on my $2000 Canon 70/200 f2.8 IS lens that gets attached to my 5D mark III camera. It is a Tiffen UV/haze which would probably cost about $15. There are good $40 filters. And then B+W are $62. I've spent over $100 on individual filters in the past, but in doing so I knew there was a direct impact on quality of the image that I was producing. In the case of Skyreat vs PolarPro I'm not so sure. I may just have to order them both and find out. I don't object to paying up for value, just brand name.

BTW...My photography studio used to be fully Mac. We know that Apple makes a very good computer. But after a trial with PC next to my Macs I dumped the Macs 12 years ago and haven't looked back and don't regret the decision one moment.

Ya know... There might be a way for me to test them side-by-side using my DSLR... Ya got me thinking.

Well, the Skyreats came in today. I haven't had a chance to test them photographically, but in light of some criticism I'd seen on the web I'll share this so far- The Hasseblad clear filter that came with the M2P weighs 1.8 grams while the Skyreat weighs 2.13 grams. I heard stories about it being difficult to get on and off. It went on easily and snapped into place without any forcing, jiggling or otherwise. I've got the ND8 on it right now and I anticipate doing a sunrise flight tomorrow where it will have it's first test. Perhaps I'll do a sharpness test with a resolution chart tonight. i'm not sure I can generate enough light indoors to overcome the 3 stop reduction in translucence. I'll have to see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent