DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police Helicopter tried to locate my drone?! Or was it just a coincidence?

Yaros

Reactions
Hello,
Today something odd happened to me, I was recording some videos near my school with the drone for a project, got authorization from the school, and went flying.
I didn't go above 30 meters high, and that's very good.
10 minutes after takeoff a Police Helicopter started flying above and around the exact area that my drone was and surprisingly extremely low, visually it seemed it was about 50 meters (150 ft) high, I never saw a helicopter fly that low! It was just above me, that kinda scared me, so I landed the drone immediately, after some seconds the helicopter flew away.
I took off again, but didn't go higher than 20 meters for safety reason, of course, and good that I didn't because soon the helicopter returned again! And to the same spot my drone was! That was super strange, however this time I didn't land my drone, just hovered it about 5 meters high above me, after a minute of the helicopter circling the school property it flew again into the distance and never returned, I flew for 15 minutes more and all fine!

To say the truth I was on the very edge of a no-fly-zone of a very small rural airport / heliport that rarely has planes take off. That's probably where the heli took off, but I was confused, did the helicopter have Aeroscope, so it located the drone?

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it is just a coincidence, but what didn't make sense is that when I took off the 2nd time the heli returned again! That seems odd.

What do you think?

The good thing is that you dont need to turn yourself in as you did nothing wrong and even if you did do something wrong by chance according to the FAA you do not need to turn yourself in if there is no property damage.

Regarding the area you were flying they were likely keeping close tabs on drones as part of there job is to patrol the sky and if someone reported a drone in the sky, they have the right to take a peak at what is happening .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Very strange. Two almost identical situations/threads in less than a week.

I haven't seen any this specific. Heli flying over real close then leaving and coming back again.

Reactions: Droniac

Reactions: Droniac
Yup the drone popo were out to get you, that is unless you were wearing a red hat. Then it was probably the Federal Fashion Popo. Of course if you were wearing a camo shirt it could have been Homeland Security. So many popo so little knowledge of what they are up to now.

The good thing is that you dont need to turn yourself in as you did nothing wrong and even if you did do something wrong by chance according to the FAA you do not need to turn yourself in if there is no property damage.

Regarding the area you were flying they were likely keeping close tabs on drones as part of there job is to patrol the sky and if someone reported a drone in the sky, they have the right to take a peak at what is happening .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain. Land on the Water.

While that's partially true it's not totally correct. If we think we violated a FAR or had a close call we have the option to notify via the NASA ASRS. While it doesn't give automatic immunity etc it can help a LOT.

UAS Safety
Reporting​

From NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System​

Anyone involved in UAS operations can file a NASA ASRS report to describe close calls, hazards, violations, and safety related incidents

ASRS welcomes reports about close calls and incidents such as:

• Collision or Near Mid Air Collision with another UAS, Aircraft, or Object
  • Equipment Issues (hardware / software / automation)
  • Lost Link
  • Fly Away
  • Uncontrolled Descent
  • Airspace Incursions (e.g. Flying too close to an airport)
  • Environmental Hazards
  • Miscommunication
  • Procedural Issues
  • Human Error / Mistakes
  • Injuries

EVeryone realizes he's not a U.S. citizen and lives in Sa Coma, Mallorca (island off east coast of spain), right? So, quoting him FAA regs is not applicable.

EVeryone realizes he's not a U.S. citizen and lives in Sa Coma, Mallorca (island off east coast of spain), right? So, quoting him FAA regs is not applicable.
Yes, right. It's EASA and AESA regs here.

Hello,
Today something odd happened to me, I was recording some videos near my school with the drone for a project, got authorization from the school, and went flying.
10 minutes after takeoff a Police Helicopter started flying above and around the exact area that my drone was and surprisingly extremely low, visually it seemed it was about 50 meters (150 ft) high, I never saw a helicopter fly that low! It was just above me, that kinda scared me, so I landed the drone immediately, after some seconds the helicopter flew away.
I took off again, but didn't go higher than 20 meters for safety reason, of course, and good that I didn't because soon the helicopter returned again! And to the same spot my drone was! That was super strange, however this time I didn't land my drone, just hovered it about 5 meters high above me, after a minute of the helicopter circling the school property it flew again into the distance and never returned, I flew for 15 minutes more and all fine!

To say the truth I was on the very edge of a no-fly-zone of a very small rural airport / heliport that rarely has planes take off. That's probably where the heli took off, but I was confused, did the helicopter have Aeroscope, so it located the drone?

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it is just a coincidence, but what didn't make sense is that when I took off the 2nd time the heli returned again! That seems odd.

What do you think?
No conspiracy and no coinsidecy
Hello,

What do you think?
No conspiracy or coincidence right

I would guess that you were reported by someone on the ground and the helicopter crew was "taking a look"
That term small rural airport worries me. My local airport KWJF is quite busy with traffic of all sizes and speeds, yet most non aviation people only think of KLAX when an airport is mentioned even going so far as thinking KBUR as being a small insignificant airport.

I would guess that you were reported by someone on the ground and the helicopter crew was "taking a look"
That term small rural airport worries me. My local airport KWJF is quite busy with traffic of all sizes and speeds, yet most non aviation people only think of KLAX when an airport is mentioned even going so far as thinking KBUR as being a small insignificant airport.
I was flying always below 10 meters before the helicopter came, unless there was someone from my school that reported me (which is unlikely), the drone wasn't visible to others outside the school property to see and report.

Check out the area on Google Maps:
My flying location
The nearby Airport

Why send a helicopter? In that situation it would be more logical to just send a car to check it out.

I often get coppers choppers flying over me in a large park I practice in. They at least "appear" to head straight for me. Often they are just on routine patrol. I have even had a cop car drive through a few minutes later as well as cops on bicycles once. Always drop down to head height (he's up there, I am down here philosophy). Never had an issue. Cops in cars have wound down window, smiled, waved and driven off. Cops on bikes had a chat about the drones capabilities, what it can do etc and gone on their way.

Prior to covid, never had this much Cop helicopter activity. Now, even with restrictions lifted there is much more. Some prominent politicians and bureaucrats who are not too popular at the moment live in the area so that cold be one reason.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo