DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

~Poll~ Mavic Air or Mavic Pro - Which one will YOU choose?

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro - Which one will you choose?

• Mavic Air - I don't have a Mavic drone and will choose the Pro!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SpeederT12

Reactions
Well ladies and gents,
THE tuesday came and went and left us with a new drone in DJI's portfolio - the Mavic Air. While many consider it not worthy of the Mavic name and more like a Spark Pro, but, as the specs reveal, it is actually - in some areas - better than the MP. Consider this - the MP is an amazing machine, boasting a powerful camera in a small body, packed with features: Precision landing, Panoramas, QuickShots, a neato 4K camera spoting C4K@24fps capabilities. Sounds great right? Well, if we actually stop looking at the marketing material from DJI and start filming with the thing we discover a few things: The Autofocus, which is (was worse) a mess with soft corners and makes our lifes harder when we try to shoot night scenes, Cinema 4K @24FPS, which sounds great tbh, is not worth it, considering no noticeable difference to 98% of users and is perhaps a waste of storage space (besides, no-one buys a mavic to shoot cinema-spec footage, there are Phantoms for that), and, last but not least, 60MBPS recording which is not great. This is where the Mavic Air comes in. 100MBPS, 2.7k@60fps, 120fps@1080p (which looks horrible, but still a bit better than 720p on the Pro), backwards stereo cams, APAS, new quickshots (which will probably come to the Pro at some point), smaller footprint, MUCH cheaper (judging by base price and fly more), comes with a case and the remote is even more compact (but doesn't provide the screen which I have used on multiple occasions where the crappy Android app failed) are all features that the Mavic Air has. Not sure about the Care program, but that's probably cheaper too. Indeed, it has much shorter flight time, but batteries are also going to be cheaper. Oh, by the way, the MP features OcuSync, which is probably much better on streaming quality over range and reaches further. Overall, the Pro has already proved itself to be one of the best consumer drones out there, but the Air seems to be going straight for that title.

As a MP owner, I ask you guys, which one would you get? If you own a MP, will you exchange it for the Air? If you are looking into buying a Mavic series drone, will it be the Air or the Pro? Tell us in the comments!

Reactions: HubBub
The better remote and OcuSync are why I would stick with the Pro. The display on the Pro remote allows flight without a phone/tablet and WiFi control has a shorter range and is more susceptible to interference.

Was hoping the 1/23 announcement would be the MP 2. It was not. Based on what I see I would choose MP instead of Air if I had to buy now. However, I will probably wait for MP2 or EVO. I did not write-off completely Mavic Air but it is not what I was expecting. I want to see more real life videos from it; what I have seen for youtube so far seem to be "purchased" reviews.

Your poll seems to have an error with "Mavic Air - I don't have a Mavic drone and will choose the Pro!" If that is the case, the option of it being Air does not make sense.

Alright fellas, tell me more as to why you want to keep your MP! I actually very much like the idea of the better camera, but the fact that it's really new and has worse range/connection/battery life is currently keeping me back from selling my Pro

Soft/blurry corners is due to quality control. My first Mavic Pro was AWFUL in this regard. My replacement is sharp edge to edge.

Guarantee that if the Air had OcuSync a bunch of us would be switching over.

I have a P4Pro+ and Mavic Pro and now have a Mavic Air on order. I look at all three as different drones. If the wind is still I fly the Mavic Pro. Originally I thought that I would take the Mavic out on trips on one or both of my motorcycles. While I can still do that I think that the smaller size of the Air will be better. Only time will tell what bird becomes my go to drone.

Air should be called Spark 2 and not Mavic Air.
Air is Spark on steroids, and is much smaller than Mavic.
If I'm to buy another drone it should be bigger and better, not smaller, for sure.

So far the poll results are disappointing to OP
Prefer the term "interesting". Honestly, I expected this, especially when we consider the fact that there are mostly seasoned pilots on this forum. Seems like DJI won't like the response from the Air as much as the Pro. Was it like that for the Spark too?

Prefer the term "interesting". Honestly, I expected this, especially when we consider the fact that there are mostly seasoned pilots on this forum. Seems like DJI won't like the response from the Air as much as the Pro. Was it like that for the Spark too?
I hope that's better

Just getting ready to buy first drone, (other than toy). Doing lots of research at this point. Know I'll be getting a DJI drone. Thought about Spark for my first one, then decided to noisy, not a 3 axis gimbal, and only 1080p. also waited to see what the new release would be. The Mavic Air seems awesome, BUT, waiting for more reviews and comparisons. Was also hoping the (1/23/18) new release, would have been more towards a MP 2, sad it wasn't. :( Thinking now the Mavic Pro Platinum, will be my first drone. Sure after I get a MPP, DJI will come out with new MP2. ARGH! Lol

What is being sold as the "Mavic Air," I believe, should have been marketed as a "Spark Pro." It looks more like a Spark (and totally lacks the "sexy lines" of the MP. . .yeah, I went there), the remote lacks telemetry data (like the spark). It's got similar speed and distance to the MP but much less flight time. What we have here is. . .a Spark Pro. I think this is a misstep in marketing. I think a "premium" Spark at this price point might sell better than a 'dressed down' Mavic. I think the Spark line is where they should focus their "budget minded" drones. I would have very much liked to have seen DJI maintain the Mavic line as a "premium" line that, while a bit more expensive, maintains the premium features but with each iteration ADDS to what was there before: better camera, longer flight time, longer distance, more sensors, quieter props (lol), etc. The caveat here, of course, is that I don't know their long game. Maybe there is a "Mavic even more Pro'er" (MP2, etc) around the corner. But, for now, it seems like they made an odd choice. As an owner and big fan of the MP, I've got no desire for the Mavic Air. Should I crash my MP a few months from now when both the MP and the MA will be readily available, I'll buy a Mavic Pro again without hesitation.

Just getting ready to buy first drone, (other than toy). Doing lots of research at this point. Know I'll be getting a DJI drone. Thought about Spark for my first one, then decided to noisy, not a 3 axis gimbal, and only 1080p. also waited to see what the new release would be. The Mavic Air seems awesome, BUT, waiting for more reviews and comparisons. Was also hoping the (1/23/18) new release, would have been more towards a MP 2, sad it wasn't. :( Thinking now the Mavic Pro Platinum, will be my first drone. Sure after I get a MPP, DJI will come out with new MP2. ARGH! Lol

Same dilemma here!
I had the Pantom 3 advanced and, although I loved it's reliability and the quality of the pictures/video, it was just too bulky to carry about and cumbersome set up.
I sold that and bought the Spark.
Whilst I do like it's portability and quick setup, there's just something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.
Not to mention, it just doesn't feel that reliable when sending it up in the air.

I love the look of the MA and the tech they've cramned into it but, as they've opted for WiFi again, is it just going to be the same as the Spark in terms of having that feeling its going to have connection failures when its up in the air?

And so onto the Mavic. Do I get one now as they are rated so highly and the prices will now probably fall or wait to see what the MP2 brings.
The problem there is, i could be waiting a while for that and missing out on using the MP.

I suppose the only sure way of seeing them announce the release of the MP2 will be to buy the MP, such is how it usually goes with me!!!!

Decisions, decisions....

God, I hate loving new tech!!

Reactions: SpeederT12
As a MP owner, I ask you guys, which one would you get? If you own a MP, will you exchange it for the Air? If you are looking into buying a Mavic series drone, will it be the Air or the Pro? Tell us in the comments!

Think your poll needs couple more choices added, like; Not impressed with Air going to get an Autel Evo for my first drone.
Keeping my MP, but tried of waiting for MP II, getting an Autel Evo for next drone.

The specs of the MP and MA are very close so I will keep my Mavic Pro for portability.

I have my eye on the DJI Inspire 2 and will continue to save hopefully the Inspire 3 will be out soon.

Hi, Complete new guy. Just read this entire thread like many others and this is my first assessment of it all. I have been looking to buy my first drone for months to film mainly coast lines/beaches and surfing up close and atoa distance to a degree while travelling around. I got it down to the MP combo and then the air came up just now on the market. Stuffed me!!! Now you have all spoken of a MP2 coming. General indication, everyone would wait to see the new MP2. This means I have to wait another 2-3months !!!!!!
Generally speaking for a newbie they will all be good enough but until I get going and use it to see it's flaws that effect me I will not know. By then I will be sucked in to the constant vortex of looking for the next best techy thing. And that's costly!!!
The things that concern me that I have read. -The wifi seems to be a big problem for all but the new MP2 will be different?? But the rules I stated below negates this problem to a degree. There are complaints of the gimbal being a problem. The pics or footage is soft around edges. [who's to say the new MP2 still will be a prob?. There is no rear motion sensor on MP's. and I am sure their are some I have missed. And let's not forget the price as DJI never discount, well hardly ever.Very costly hobby.

The rules and regs according to CASA and also your local councils and lets not forget privacy laws. This is the biggest disappointment but fully understand them of course but for me. Seems like I can't even fly the thing if I did get one. 5.5 kms away from any airports, all so approx 1km??? away from helipads, Can not fly over any sporting events, parks, beaches and any crowds for that matter. (so being in a city your stuffed) Then it states if people are near,you have to be min 30m in any direction from the person and no higher than 120m due to flight path regs. and you must keep it in line of sight at all times, etc, etc, etc!!!!

All of the above associate with hefty fines if you are reported, this alone scares off any subservient cashless drone newbie.
Things that don't really matter to a degree- The sound, they all make noise and is going to piss anyone off it goes near them, 2 or 3 min difference in flight time, either way is next to nothing really isn't it. Same with the size and weight they are all pretty small to a degree. but the new air seems to pip the post on that.

For me, I am no closer to flying. If I go over the 2kg class and depending on where I want to fly, I then have to sit to get a "Remote Pilots Licence" another cost of $3000 dollars if it is for commercial use.

I'm knackered!!!!

Reactions: JimmyHillsChin
From watching countless reviews and footage comparisons, If you want the better footage out of the 2, the Mavic Air is better hands down and is a fraction of the cost. Sure it’s limited on range and battery life, but if FOOTAGE is what you need, the Air is better. If you want looks/cool factor and just enjoy flying, then the Mavic Pro is what you should get. I personally didn’t like the footage the Mavic Pro produced, I gave it 2 chances and I decided the P4P+ better suited my needs. Don’t get me wrong, the Mavic produced “good” footage in PERFECT conditions combined with ND Filters and a ton of post production work. The Mavic Air Camera quality intrigues me, and it’s tempting to order one.

From watching countless reviews and footage comparisons, If you want the better footage out of the 2, the Mavic Air is better hands down and is a fraction of the cost. Sure it’s limited on range and battery life, but if FOOTAGE is what you need, the Air is better. If you want looks/cool factor and just enjoy flying, then the Mavic Pro is what you should get. I personally didn’t like the footage the Mavic Pro produced, I gave it 2 chances and I decided the P4P+ better suited my needs. Don’t get me wrong, the Mavic produced “good” footage in PERFECT conditions combined with ND Filters and a ton of post production work. The Mavic Air Camera quality intrigues me, and it’s tempting to order one.

But the problem seems to be that all of the Air footage/reviews at the minute are from people who have been given the drone (by DJI?) to review.
I think it's best to hold off saying the footage is hands down better until we get some "real" reviews.
I also love the footage I get from my Spark, but it's the fact that I have no confidence flying the thing that puts me off wanting to get that footage with it. If the Air is the same with it's WiFi, it will put many people off.
It could be the best footage in the world but if you keep running the risk of the thing falling out of the sky whilst getting that footage because of dodgy WiFi, that saving you are making by buying the Air will soon be eaten up in repair costs.

If you've gone to a P4P+ and that is what suits you, then, to be fair, neither the Air or MP were ever going to suffice when it comes to their cameras, I wouldn't have thought.

For me it is purely about the drone being able to take photo's to an acceptable quality combined with portability.

I don't shoot video. Zero interest in it. I'm an amateur photographer and enjoy my DSLR's and wanted a drone to add to the variety of my shots.

The MP has been fine, but then wished I had bought the Spark since that would likely have done all I needed. Now the Air arrives and I'm 100% sure it would work for me.

I was out walking the coastal cliffs here in the Algarve region of Portugal with my wife yesterday. She is a tad impatient when it comes to my taking pictures so I tend to be fairly quick about it. I carried the MP and Remote ready to fly so that when I saw a vista I wanted, I could just pop it down and hit take off.

I would find the Air even easier to walk around with in-between shooting and so, I will most likely be getting one.

Also, in my experience, the larger the drone, the more negative reception it gets here at its perceived invasion of Privacy. It's the same with DSLR's, take one to a beach and you are a pervert. Take a phone or point-and-shoot and it is perfectly fine. A Spark or Air-sized drone will be seen as less invasive. All about perception rather than actual use.

Reactions: SLVSRFR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks