DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Restricted flight in Firmware .800

Are you ok with the new firmware flight restrictions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So you think they don't care about future sales?

I can guarantee you this much: they are working on a fix right now.
How can they fix it if they couldn't get it right the first time?
Are they gonna try and try and try hoping to maybe to eventually get it right?
As long as people keep buying their product s, they don't care about getting any thing right.

How can they fix it if they couldn't get it right the first time?
Are they gonna try and try and try hoping to maybe to eventually get it right?
As long as people keep buying their product s, they don't care about getting any thing right.
That's how software development works (firmware is software). Why do you think there have been a half dozen iterations of Mavic firmware to begin with? They'll keep adding/modifying features, fixing bugs, making improvements, etc. Almost always, you release software even though it's not perfect. Heck, look at Windows (or Mac OS). Why do you think there are monthly updates? Or iOS/Android apps. I get like 5-10 updates every single day (I have 100+ apps on my smartphone).

DJI has had a terrible track record so far, but that doesn't mean that they're not working on it. And the definition of "fix" might not be the same for you and me. In terms of the NFZ issue, I'd considered it fixed if they just do the following: (1) A better defined NFZ map that matches the FAA's NFZ more closely. (2) Ability to preload NFZ maps. (3) If somehow Mavic enters NFZ, then fly back (or some other mechanism) to take it out of NFZ instead of landing (if this is indeed the current firmware's logic).

I've been a software PM for 7+ years (including 2+ specifically on firmware). This is so basic. At the very least, this is on their radar.

That's how software development works (firmware is software). Why do you think there have been a half dozen iterations of Mavic firmware to begin with? They'll keep adding/modifying features, fixing bugs, making improvements, etc. Almost always, you release software even though it's not perfect. Heck, look at Windows (or Mac OS). Why do you think there are monthly updates? Or iOS/Android apps. I get like 5-10 updates every single day (I have 100+ apps on my smartphone).

DJI has had a terrible track record so far, but that doesn't mean that they're not working on it. And the definition of "fix" might not be the same for you and me. In terms of the NFZ issue, I'd considered it fixed if they just do the following: (1) A better defined NFZ map that matches the FAA's NFZ more closely. (2) Ability to preload NFZ maps. (3) If somehow Mavic enters NFZ, then fly back (or some other mechanism) to take it out of NFZ instead of landing (if this is indeed the current firmware's logic).

I've been a software PM for 7+ years (including 2+ specifically on firmware). This is so basic. At the very least, this is on their radar.
Maybe you could help Dji.

Fw700 with app at 4.07 has fixed the nfz prompt update (when switching geographic area). Now I can fly in remote areas with my tablet without internet connection and without worry.

With Fw800 that wasn't possible

Reactions: namja
Just a quick poll to see what the mavic community thinks about the new firmwares flight restrictions. Feel free to post how you feel DJI approach to NFZ to make the mavic safer.
Big Brother is not welcome. A few bad apples shouldn't ruin it for the rest. I'm really tired of mid-flight warnings that take my attention away from flying/filming. Dear DJI, USA is not China.

To date I have not experienced any restrictions whatsoever. I actually live exactly 5 miles from a small private aviation community with an airstrip. It has actually disappeared from the map and I no longer get any advisory at all. I used to get a warning prompt every time I flew at home. GO FIGURE!!

To date I have not experienced any restrictions whatsoever. I actually live exactly 5 miles from a small private aviation community with an airstrip. It has actually disappeared from the map and I no longer get any advisory at all. I used to get a warning prompt every time I flew at home. GO FIGURE!!

I've experienced the same thing where I used to get a warning and now I don't.

Forced to update firmware, or NFZ database?
Hhm, good question. Firmware, yes, and NFZ after that, I think. I wasn't too aware of all the hoopla concerning this at the time and didn't think much of it. Since then I have been back to a location about 250 metres outside an airport yellow zone. The first time (prior to update) I received a warning and asked to confirm if I could fly. After update the same thing happened. Now, I didn't go into the NFZ so cannot add to anything in that regard, I'm afraid.

I use a dedicated phone with no data connection for the Mavic, and I have now shut off wi-fi on the phone so that if I open the app at home - just to be on the safe side - not get any notifications to update firmware.

I live in Staten Island NY, we have huge limit for flying. But it's still some areas to fly.
Yesterday I was flying over the lake, and software just showed me that I entered nfz
Without giving me a choice it start landing my drone directly into the water. 20 seconds and the Mavic pro is underwater. Can anyone give me advice for the future, what needs to be done to avoid situation like this?
Any advice would be fine.
Also we had a temporary restrictions on flying but I was able to get waiver but
It still didn't help to land it on the ground.
Thank you.
I live in Staten Island as well, besides high rock park which by the way is designated for hobbyist, I thought, so I'm upset that DJI brought ur mavic down, do you fly anywhere else??

One comment and one question

Comment: There seems to be a lot of discussion about an owners right to full control vs the company's control for the betterment of everyone. I will only say this... It comes out the same way every discussion does, whether its about rights to privacy, gun ownership, or mass data surveillance. People who are doing the right thing would be doing the right thing without restrictions, and people who break laws and endanger people will find ways around the restrictions. and above all - There is no way you should give up your freedom because someone else can't make the right decisions. You being ok with the restrictions because you don't do anything wrong - Paraphrasing Edward Snowden - is like giving up your right to free speech because you have nothing to say.

My question: All of this discussion revolves around NFZ areas, but what bothers me is the part of the firmware update that says " For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30m and distance of 50m when not connected or logged into the app during flight..." Is this something you have to have service for? 98% of my flights are in areas with no cell service. This would be a massive issue.

Comment: There seems to be a lot of discussion about an owners right to full control vs the company's control for the betterment of everyone. I will only say this... It comes out the same way every discussion does, whether its about rights to privacy, gun ownership, or mass data surveillance. People who are doing the right thing would be doing the right thing without restrictions, and people who break laws and endanger people will find ways around the restrictions. and above all - There is no way you should give up your freedom because someone else can't make the right decisions. You being ok with the restrictions because you don't do anything wrong - Paraphrasing Edward Snowden - is like giving up your right to free speech because you have nothing to say.
In the grand scheme of things, this is really NOT a big deal. Apple/Google make OS "upgrades" and app "updates" all the time. They don't force you to update. It is completely your choice to do so. The goal is to make things better. In the long run, restricting drones from flight within restricted zone is good for all of us. They have done a bad job with the implementation, but the goal is to prevent idiots from flying in NFZs and ruining this hobby for the rest of us.

My question: All of this discussion revolves around NFZ areas, but what bothers me is the part of the firmware update that says " For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30m and distance of 50m when not connected or logged into the app during flight..." Is this something you have to have service for? 98% of my flights are in areas with no cell service. This would be a massive issue.
This has been gone over at least 20 times in this forum. At least 5 times in this thread. In a nutshell, the answer is both NO and YES. After you update your app/FW, you need to relogin to your account on your smartphone once, and then that's it. It will keep you logged in indefinitely. You don't need cellular service on each flight to remove the 30m/50m restriction. The problem for you will be something else. You will be asked to update your NFZ map for each area that you fly in. If you do not update the map, then you will be limited to the 30m/50m restriction. Each "area" is fairly large. I've driven 30 miles without having to update the map. But if you're almost exclusively in no cellular area, then this may be a problem for you. So my advice to you would be to not update the FW until later versions where they fix this issue.

One comment and one question

Comment: There seems to be a lot of discussion about an owners right to full control vs the company's control for the betterment of everyone. I will only say this... It comes out the same way every discussion does, whether its about rights to privacy, gun ownership, or mass data surveillance. People who are doing the right thing would be doing the right thing without restrictions, and people who break laws and endanger people will find ways around the restrictions. and above all - There is no way you should give up your freedom because someone else can't make the right decisions.
Do you think there should be speed limits? Controlled airspace around airports?

Are you an anarchist?

If not, then there are rules and constraints on behavior that you DO agree are legitimate for society, at large, to impose on everyone and limit good people's freedoms. We collectively, and for the most part individually too -- agree that these are reasonable compromises because the "freedom" being limited is of such trivial value, especially compared to the risk of harm posed by breaking those rules.

Speeding is a great example: While it might be a thrill to barrel 90mph down your neighborhood street for 10 blocks, the risk that you'll kill someone is just so great no one would argue that this is okay regardless of whether or not it is prohibited.

Yet, there are adolescents foolish enough to try such things. And it is also abundantly true that the legal prohibition STOPS them from doing so the vast majority of the time.

So, once we've established that you do agree with some legal proscriptions on behavior, the argument about whether or not you're a prostitute is over... We're just negotiating price :D

So, once we've established that you do agree with some legal proscriptions on behavior, the argument about whether or not you're a prostitute is over... We're just negotiating price :D

But DJI was the one that turned me into a Prostitute:D
They sold me all the tricks of the trade and now they are trying to take them back:p:D

Rob

Reactions: dwallersv
.800 firmware upgrade:
Before up grade warning with two boxes to check before launching.
1. About Airspace
2. Authorized and or responsible
Now only small control air space notice. Upper left screen.
On a same route return flight...box with two check boxes suddenly appeared. Had to check boxes to remove from screen. Thought that was strange! Perhaps return flight encroached controled space or ,800 issue.
Apologize for non specific box info.

.800 firmware upgrade:
Before up grade warning with two boxes to check before launching.
1. About Airspace
2. Authorized and or responsible
Now only small control air space notice. Upper left screen.
On a same route return flight...box with two check boxes suddenly appeared. Had to check boxes to remove from screen. Thought that was strange! Perhaps return flight encroached controled space or ,800 issue.
Apologize for non specific box info.
The box u refer too just asks you to assume responsibillity for the flight but go one meter outside that zone and then back into it which i have to do here on the route i fly, which takes me into it, then out of it then back in to it, means i have to tick that box every few seconds as i am flying on the edge of the zone.

reminds me of my Gf yes yes, no no, not there, yes yes no i told you not there until u tick the box saying you are gonna buy me a new handbag oh yes i know its normally allowed but now i just decided to screw you instead of you screwing me.

That means i am ticking more boxes than i am watching the drone or the screen now i am allowed to fly there and i have ticked the boxes to say yes i can fly here and i assume responsibility, So why do i have to keep ticking the boxes ten times? how is that allowing me to fly safely? how am i supposed to keep the drone in sight when all i am doing is ticking boxes?

Reactions: Robbyg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661