DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Restricted flight in Firmware .800

Are you ok with the new firmware flight restrictions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Despite conflicting reports, I can verify that before the update to 800, I could unlock the yellow zone that I live in and fly with no problem. The controller would read "Near NFZ",and the ipad would read "Ready To Go" and "Fly With Caution". Now, after the update, the map still shows me clearly in the yellow zone, and the DJI unlock page lets me (supposedly) unlock the yellow zone. The valid unlock authorization is indicated in the unlock list, but the controller and ipad say "In NFZ", and "Cannot Take Off", which is clearly in error. Motors will not start. While I don't often fly from my home zone, I would like to at least be able to turn on my motors when I am working on it and testing. Also, the "turn on/off Geo" button seems to do nothing after the update. Granted, most people don't live in yellow zones, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else in a yellow zone has the same thing happen. I think next I'll try going back to 700 and see if it goes back, but I have my doubts. I am convinced that not all is what it seems with DJI software. I looked at the thread about reverting back to 400 firmware and an earlier App version, but untill somebody writes a step by step process in plain language, it is way above my capability to understand. Fly safe all....
Yes, my latest update of firmware also included a new NFZ update as a separate entity. Sorry, but I'm fairly new to the drone game and have no idea if that was usual practise in the past. I'm travelling to a location tomorrow that I've flown in once before (I have read here that it doesn't matter what version of the app you're using once that NFZ map is updated you're screwed - but I cannot confirm that). It too gave me a "Fly With Caution" warning but I could easily take off. I had a look at the NFZ maps on DJI's site and the location is literally just outside the yellow zone radius of Toronto airport. Being in Canada, I don't know where we sit with updates as compared to the US, but I'm pretty sure they are the same.

Yes it told me if I did not update my flight would be restricted to so many meters hight and so many meters distance. I figured lets do the update and see what changed. I found nothing that changed so far.
Yes, I can confirm that I was "forced" to update as well. I'm in Canada.

No I am not okay with having to connect to the internet every time I go to a new NFZ zone. My tablet doesn't have internet, a massive inconvenience
I want to buy Mavic Pro and questioned DJI customer care about this. Our conversation:
ME:
I live in Indonesia. I am often in areas where no mobile internet connection is available. How can I use a Mavic or Spark in those areas?
DJI:
I am afraid there is some misunderstanding for this notification.

After you login DJI Go app with your account whenever internet access is available, unless you logout it manually, the app will keep in login status.

And you can fly the aircraft with DJI Go app.

ME:
What happens if
- Tablet with DJI Go app runs out of power and completely switches off
- Tablet with DJI Go app is restarted, or shut down and started again

Will the app still keep the login status?

DJI:
Yes, the app will keep the login status. If you uninstall the app and reinstall it, you need to login it again.

I hope this clarifies the problem a bit.
BTW: I do NOT like DJI putting in these restrictions. As I have already said before: I will accept this kind of restrictions in drones, when gun manufacturers restrict the use of their guns so they cannot be used in schools, airports, malls, public places, ... As long as we can shoot where ever we want, I think we should be allowed to fly where ever we want and take the consequences of it

Reactions: Lensman
I live in Staten Island NY, we have huge limit for flying. But it's still some areas to fly.
Yesterday I was flying over the lake, and software just showed me that I entered nfz
Without giving me a choice it start landing my drone directly into the water. 20 seconds and the Mavic pro is underwater. Can anyone give me advice for the future, what needs to be done to avoid situation like this?
Any advice would be fine.
Also we had a temporary restrictions on flying but I was able to get waiver but
It still didn't help to land it on the ground.
Thank you.
I wonder if DJI can forced to refund your drone???

I want to buy Mavic Pro and questioned DJI customer care about this. Our conversation:
ME:
I live in Indonesia. I am often in areas where no mobile internet connection is available. How can I use a Mavic or Spark in those areas?
DJI:
I am afraid there is some misunderstanding for this notification.

After you login DJI Go app with your account whenever internet access is available, unless you logout it manually, the app will keep in login status.

And you can fly the aircraft with DJI Go app.

ME:
What happens if
- Tablet with DJI Go app runs out of power and completely switches off
- Tablet with DJI Go app is restarted, or shut down and started again

Will the app still keep the login status?

DJI:
Yes, the app will keep the login status. If you uninstall the app and reinstall it, you need to login it again.

I hope this clarifies the problem a bit.
BTW: I do NOT like DJI putting in these restrictions. As I have already said before: I will accept this kind of restrictions in drones, when gun manufacturers restrict the use of their guns so they cannot be used in schools, airports, malls, public places, ... As long as we can shoot where ever we want, I think we should be allowed to fly where ever we want and take the consequences of it
It's not about the log in you need to worry about, it's about the nfz update prompt

And what exactly do two joysticks and a toy have to do with being a Pilot? I am not one of those people that you hear equating the flying of a drone as being a pilot. His real world example is crap! Can you give me an example of a drone bringing down a plane and killing anybody? Can you tell me of an incident were a drone hit into somebody and killed them? If you cannot find a single incident then how are you going to extrapolate that same scenario into 10 people being killed?

I have been flying RC in both regular and FPV modes for decades. I have an amateur radio license which allows me to use much more powerful RC transmitters than the regular person. I have flown FPV way past the distances that the Mavic can fly and much higher. So have thousands of other RC pilots. No incidents of downed craft to report because most of us do it wisely and responsibly.

And BTW I don't think I know more than everyone else but I do think I know more about my location and where I can FLY than some pinhead at DJI in China who is looking at a Map from 1945.
A
And what exactly do two joysticks and a toy have to do with being a Pilot? I am not one of those people that you hear equating the flying of a drone as being a pilot. His real world example is crap! Can you give me an example of a drone bringing down a plane and killing anybody? Can you tell me of an incident were a drone hit into somebody and killed them? If you cannot find a single incident then how are you going to extrapolate that same scenario into 10 people being killed?

I have been flying RC in both regular and FPV modes for decades. I have an amateur radio license which allows me to use much more powerful RC transmitters than the regular person. I have flown FPV way past the distances that the Mavic can fly and much higher. So have thousands of other RC pilots. No incidents of downed craft to report because most of us do it wisely and responsibly.

And BTW I don't think I know more than everyone else but I do think I know more about my location and where I can FLY than some pinhead at DJI in China who is looking at a Map from 1945.

A WOMAN IN ROCKINGHAM WESTERN AUSTRALIA WAS HIT IN THE HEAD BY AN OUT OF CONTROL RC AIRCRAFT AND WAS LEFT IN A COMA

Reactions: Chickenskat
Firmly against any restrictions that can potentially harm our initially fine drones!and set bad precedents for both civil liberties and the distribution of compelling technologies - furthermore as long as guns are allowed in this country with minimal oversight, drones should be no different. Sure, some NFZones make sense, but it should be up to the pilot to avoid them since it is the pilot that will bear responsibility regardless. (Spoiler I'm FOR both drones and guns as civil liberties, although I am only a UAV owner at this point). Remember, in a truly free society, the people need to have the choice and ability of adhering to or breaking any given law.

We have all seen the YouTube videos of pilots attempting several thousand metre flights and returning on 2% battery. Well, it will only take a wind change for it to drop out of the sky onto some poor innocent bystanding muthafuka. Responsible piloting, before they ban the MAVIC PRO

We have all seen the YouTube videos of pilots attempting several thousand metre flights and returning on 2% battery. Well, it will only take a wind change for it to drop out of the sky onto some poor innocent bystanding muthafuka. Responsible piloting, before they ban the MAVIC PRO

Or a pilot can lose control of the craft because of a forced NFZ landing and hit into somebody. We have had several recent posts of crafts either uncontrollably landing or flying off due to hitting into a Geo Fence.

If you think we have a Drone problem now just wait until the Spark starts buzzing around at head level with people trying to take selfies. At it's price point we are going to be seeing a lot of people who don't even know the first thing about flying a drone attempting to fly them in crowded areas. Probably not life threatening but it is sure going to create a stir with people who don't want drones around them.

BTW what is your link for the woman who got hit in the head? RC Craft sounds more like a Plane.
I have seen a couple of people get hit by RC planes and a few got serious cuts.

Rob

Last edited:
I live in Staten Island NY, we have huge limit for flying. But it's still some areas to fly.
Yesterday I was flying over the lake, and software just showed me that I entered nfz
Without giving me a choice it start landing my drone directly into the water. 20 seconds and the Mavic pro is underwater. Can anyone give me advice for the future, what needs to be done to avoid situation like this?
Any advice would be fine.
Also we had a temporary restrictions on flying but I was able to get waiver but
It still didn't help to land it on the ground.
Thank you.
I have entered restricted zones and as some of the members have said, your mavic just hovers till you confirm that you have permission to enter that zone. After confirming, mavic files as normal.

The drone is supposed to hover not land i would be contacting DJi if you have not done so already
How can one rescue a drone hovering somewhere above a lake? I usually do not have a boat with me when I actually intend to fly. Really, will it react to e.g. RTH call?

If you think we have a Drone problem now just wait until the Spark starts buzzing around at head level with people trying to take selfies. At it's price point we are going to be seeing a lot of people who don't even know the first thing about flying a drone attempting to fly them in crowded areas. Probably not life threatening but it is sure going to create a stir with people who don't want drones around them.
That's so true ...

In my area there are no NFZ at this moment, but I don't want drone to decide where to fly. I have to decide. I am not upgrading to new firmware. If I find it restricted, I will sell DJI and will get something else. I believe, restriction free firmwares will be possible soon from independent suppliers.

Reactions: Forrest
==

We all seen cars hitting pedestrians, trains hitting people, boats killing swimmers, etc.

So this should not be the reason to restrict flight by DJI without pilot interefering. It may lead to even worse results, when drone flies blind itself.

Worst solution for security.

Reactions: Forrest
I have entered restricted zones and as some of the members have said, your mavic just hovers till you confirm that you have permission to enter that zone. After confirming, mavic files as normal.
it depends on the NFZ when you hit the outer boundary it will fly as normal when you hit the true NFZ zone it will not. It is dependant on the NFZ but i can assure you that RTH when hitting an airport boundary will not work (not for me anyway).

==

We all seen cars hitting pedestrians, trains hitting people, boats killing swimmers, etc.

So this should not be the reason to restrict flight by DJI without pilot interefering. It may lead to even worse results, when drone flies blind itself.

Worst solution for security.
I agree completely that this is a terrible "solution" for security. But let's stop comparing it to cars, trains, and boats. For all those, each driver must be properly licensed and each vehicle must be properly inspected before putting it into use. Unless you're suggesting that every drone pilot must get a license to fly a drone.

Anyway, DJI really needs to fix this NFZ nonsense. Their NFZ maps are wrong. The way the apps check for new NFZ maps is terrible. The way it handles drones inside NFZ is bad. But these are all fixable problems.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
So you think they don't care about future sales?

I can guarantee you this much: they are working on a fix right now.
I don't believe that. Dji has always had problems like this. It doesn't hurt sales at all.
There's nothing else that compares.
If Dji had a care they could've gotten it right to start with. Exactly same thing with the Phantom 3.
I guess there is just always going to be a contingent that thinks this way - "us against them". If you can just try to keep an open mind for a moment, please consider this; Having DJI or any other company or government branch control the behavior of others is great so long as everything is going your way. When they cross the line and start taking away freedoms you value, it does not seem so great. If you have a really nice muscle car, can the DOT or Ford come over and put a governor on it so you can't go over the speed limit? If you have firearms, can ATF or Ruger come over and install a device on your weapon to keep you from firing without first verifying you are in a legal area to shoot? Many people might say those steps keep the smart people in charge and the idiots from doing dumb and dangerous stuff. But I would not be so quick to endorse these things just because it goes my way this time. Freedom costs a lot, and one of the costs is allowing people to do things you don't like.

On a separate note related to pilot responsibility, I see you are a "Well Know Member". I assume your opinion carries some weight in this forum. I think you should think about the responsibility that brings. Even if you may do stuff I think is dumb, I won't label you an idiot. I don't know you and it is not my place to judge you. Even if I did know you I would not label you publicly with that word. I will say that your use of this derogatory generalization against people who may not agree with your views about limiting pilot freedom through software is uncivil and irresponsible. But I won't advocate a firmware update to you, and others in this forum who engage in that behavior, to prevent them from being rude and closed minded. You are free to continue trolling and judging until a big company figures out a way to limit that freedom too.
Perfect!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028