DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Restricted flight in Firmware .800

Are you ok with the new firmware flight restrictions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, what is the solution to get a NFZ zone update for a remote area? Does DJI have a flight planning mode where you can load data for expected flight locations?

So, what is the solution to get a NFZ zone update for a remote area? Does DJI have a flight planning mode where you can load data for expected flight locations?

Not that I know of.
I think they expect that you will have a data stream and yes thats a pretty crazy idea considering that people travel with these drones all over the world and will most likely not have access to mobile internet in another country or even 50 miles from home.

Rob

Reactions: KiterTodd
Despite conflicting reports, I can verify that before the update to 800, I could unlock the yellow zone that I live in and fly with no problem. The controller would read "Near NFZ",and the ipad would read "Ready To Go" and "Fly With Caution". Now, after the update, the map still shows me clearly in the yellow zone, and the DJI unlock page lets me (supposedly) unlock the yellow zone. The valid unlock authorization is indicated in the unlock list, but the controller and ipad say "In NFZ", and "Cannot Take Off", which is clearly in error. Motors will not start. While I don't often fly from my home zone, I would like to at least be able to turn on my motors when I am working on it and testing. Also, the "turn on/off Geo" button seems to do nothing after the update. Granted, most people don't live in yellow zones, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else in a yellow zone has the same thing happen. I think next I'll try going back to 700 and see if it goes back, but I have my doubts. I am convinced that not all is what it seems with DJI software. I looked at the thread about reverting back to 400 firmware and an earlier App version, but untill somebody writes a step by step process in plain language, it is way above my capability to understand. Fly safe all....

Reactions: Wersh and Robbyg
Despite conflicting reports, I can verify that before the update to 800, I could unlock the yellow zone that I live in and fly with no problem. The controller would read "Near NFZ",and the ipad would read "Ready To Go" and "Fly With Caution". Now, after the update, the map still shows me clearly in the yellow zone, and the DJI unlock page lets me (supposedly) unlock the yellow zone. The valid unlock authorization is indicated in the unlock list, but the controller and ipad say "In NFZ", and "Cannot Take Off", which is clearly in error. Motors will not start........
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.
I went through that last month and feel your frustration...

DJI's NFZ map is whack. Does DJI change its map often? I used to get the yellow warning on every flight, whether it was .700 FW or .800 FW. If memory serves me correctly, with .700 FW, I would just hit the X in the corner of the warning box and continue flying, and with .800 FW, I would have to check the boxes saying that I am authorized to fly and that I take full responsibility. I have about 20 flights total in my home zone, about 10 flights on each firmware.

This morning, I fire up my Mavic in my back patio to do some testing, and I get no warning of any sort. Nothing yellow. I have clear GPS signal. I get up to 400 feet and 2000 feet out, then I bring it back home.

I'm on the latest FW/app for all devices. I live 4.1 miles from the airport, and my usual flying spot is 4.5 miles from the airport. It's a seldom used airport (SBD).

Despite conflicting reports, I can verify that before the update to 800, I could unlock the yellow zone that I live in and fly with no problem. The controller would read "Near NFZ",and the ipad would read "Ready To Go" and "Fly With Caution". Now, after the update, the map still shows me clearly in the yellow zone, and the DJI unlock page lets me (supposedly) unlock the yellow zone. The valid unlock authorization is indicated in the unlock list, but the controller and ipad say "In NFZ", and "Cannot Take Off", which is clearly in error. Motors will not start. While I don't often fly from my home zone, I would like to at least be able to turn on my motors when I am working on it and testing. Also, the "turn on/off Geo" button seems to do nothing after the update. Granted, most people don't live in yellow zones, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else in a yellow zone has the same thing happen. I think next I'll try going back to 700 and see if it goes back, but I have my doubts. I am convinced that not all is what it seems with DJI software. I looked at the thread about reverting back to 400 firmware and an earlier App version, but untill somebody writes a step by step process in plain language, it is way above my capability to understand. Fly safe all....
Obviously this is a bug. While extremely frustrating, I have no doubt DJI wants to fix it, but they have to know there is a problem. Have you emailed [email protected], or talked to support, or anything?

Again, I really don't think DJI intends for you to not be able to self-unlock in that yellow zone. The system is supposed to let you. So let them know, and perhaps they will fix it quicker.

Reactions: bas4241
Obviously this is a bug. While extremely frustrating, I have no doubt DJI wants to fix it, but they have to know there is a problem. Have you emailed [email protected], or talked to support, or anything?

Again, I really don't think DJI intends for you to not be able to self-unlock in that yellow zone. The system is supposed to let you. So let them know, and perhaps they will fix it quicker.

Thank you, I will notify them. On Edit: I notified DJI of the problems I'm having and included my location and aircraft info. Hopefully they can correct the glitch and maybe even find and correct similar problems in other areas. Thanks all!

Last edited:
DJI's NFZ map is whack. Does DJI change its map often? I used to get the yellow warning on every flight, whether it was .700 FW or .800 FW. If memory serves me correctly, with .700 FW, I would just hit the X in the corner of the warning box and continue flying, and with .800 FW, I would have to check the boxes saying that I am authorized to fly and that I take full responsibility. I have about 20 flights total in my home zone, about 10 flights on each firmware.

This morning, I fire up my Mavic in my back patio to do some testing, and I get no warning of any sort. Nothing yellow. I have clear GPS signal. I get up to 400 feet and 2000 feet out, then I bring it back home.

I'm on the latest FW/app for all devices. I live 4.1 miles from the airport, and my usual flying spot is 4.5 miles from the airport. It's a seldom used airport (SBD).
Where ya located?

No restrictions with firmware, just have to be decent and fly in the appropriate areas. However I do see lots of people flying in restricted areas but they will be the ones to cop the big stick from the authorities if they are caught. But like the saying goes everything is legal till you get caught :eek:

No restrictions with firmware, just have to be decent and fly in the appropriate areas. However I do see lots of people flying in restricted areas but they will be the ones to cop the big stick from the authorities if they are caught. But like the saying goes everything is legal till you get caught :eek:

Maybe he calls the airport...? Lmao... This forum sometimes....

Reactions: _milo_
I think what we are seeing in USA and Europe, where the population is more "dense" so to speak, is that they have far more potential NFZ than we do.
Looking at DJIs NFZ and Casa, DJI have not as yet included most Hospital heliports and numerous farmers private strips.
Casa have included far more warning sites which aren't reflected in DJI.
This may well change.

It seems flying illegally with drones is actively encouraged while flying legally is seen as boring and pointless, bearing in mind drones are still mostly within in the enthusiast community and that's the stance, I fully expect we're going to see much more aggressive software restrictions to enforce the rules as clearly a lot of owners can't be trusted to follow the rules voluntarily and as the technology becomes cheaper and widespread, that problem is going to get a lot bigger.

That bothers me even as someone who does make the effort to fly legally because what always ultimately starts happening when they try to restrict illegal use is that they harm the legal users as well with ham fisted attempts that have unintended side effects or cause additional difficulties. I do find it odd that people will complain against possible restrictions then in another thread give an apt demonstration of why those restrictions are likely to be brought in.
Illegally/legally.....what drone "laws" are you referring to? Can you cite the State or Federal statutes you abide by to fly legally?

Last edited:
Hi Todd, were you able to find a solution?
I went through the email support (took a week) and they offered a temporary unlock code to resolve the error their engineers were working on... :rolleyes:

However, ultimately, since .400 was still available I downgraded to that firmware and no longer had the issue.

Reactions: bas4241
If we are running .400, are we safe to upgrade to the most recent version of the iOS app? Or will that cause problems also?

I still have whatever version of the app I loaded in April, but am concerned I could be forced to update it or one day I have a brain fart and hit the "Update All Apps" button on my phone. Just curious if an app update will then either force a firmware update or push other network connectivity requirements as threatened by the pop up window which states you'll have to login.

Last edited:
If we are running .400, are we save to upgrade to the most recent version of the iOS app? Or will that cause problems also?
In my opinion, yes.

I'm running .400 on the RC/AC, and the latest version of GO4 on Android. No issues.

Now I know why my drone crashed. I was in the Flushing Meadows Park, one of the few places in NYC where it is permitted. After pressing the home button, the drone acted as if it had a mind of its own and smacked into a tree. I regret having spent $1000 on a piece of electronics that ended up being so worthless to me.

Occasionally a NFZ warning will appear and disappear when I am nowhere near any restricted areas. The suggestion to overlay all NFZ over the HERE maps is a good one.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aeronkat