• Phone in a mount

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Tablet in a mount

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • Goggles or other wearable display

Votes: 16 12.1%

• Total voters
Get yourself a Crystal Sky
CS seems very expensive especially considering you need to buy a charger, a mount and a cable to use it and you can't run other apps like Litchi on it. The smaller one has a screen that is no bigger than my phone. The larger one costs as much as the whole Mavic kit.

CS seems very expensive especially considering you need to buy a charger, a mount and a cable to use it and you can't run other apps like Litchi on it. The smaller one has a screen that is no bigger than my phone. The larger one costs as much as the whole Mavic kit.

All very true:)

Get yourself a iPad mini 4, it fits in the RC jaws.
My Nexus 7 fits in the jaws as well but like the ipad, it opens the jaws up to an angle that is uncomfortable to hold and operate the sticks, especially if you add a hood. The ipad is less bright than my Nexus 7. Mounting anything in the jaws points the screen straight up at the sky. I prefer to have an adjustable angle. YMMV.

Does anyone really just use a phone mounted in the arms? I prefer a tablet in a mount with a sunshade and lanyard.
I have old eyes and fat fingers. I find the phone display to be too small to read easily and the touch screen to be difficult to operate accurately.
Where do you get a cable long enough to reach a tablet? I get my stuff from Helipal.

I have had the DJI Goggles but have used them only one time in the the last 4 Months! I can't seem to get away from using my Headplay Goggles, they work so good. I wish I would have never bought the DJI Goggles!
Where did you get the Headplay goggles? And how much were they? Thanks.

I use a Nexus 6P phone, but have been trying out my new DJI goggles. A bit more hassle to set up (and I need strong reading glasses because the screen is optically too close), but the flying experience is way cool. It is also more peaceful and natural (doesn't mean there isn't risk!). The helmet software doesn't crash like the DJI GO 4 which is also good (DJI software stability sucks). I have not tried any other goggles.

I'm using an old 7" Insignia (Best Buy) Android tab which is marginal but the only thing I have with OS new enough to run the DJI Go app. Marginal but works, and is working better now that the weather is cooler.

It barely fits in the RC jaws but I bought a cheap clamp mount holder on eBay that is fine. (Darkhorse brand $11)

I've gone through several cheap USB wires for charging this tablet and they tend to fit very loosely (not good). I bought a 'better' one ($7) for connecting the Magic RC and it fits much more firmly. Hard to recommend a brand of wires but go with the more expensive ones. Lots of forum comments about replacing the USB connector wires.

Where did you get the Headplay goggles? And how much were they? Thanks.
Shop around on eBay and you should be able to find them for about $150. I have an Nvidia K1 tablet that I plug them into with hdmi though. If you don't have an hdmi port to plug into they're pretty much useless with the Mavic.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Shop around on eBay and you should be able to find them for about $150. I have an Nvidia K1 tablet that I plug them into with hdmi though. If you don't have an hdmi port to plug into they're pretty much useless with the Mavic.
Thanks for the fast reply.

Does anyone really just use a phone mounted in the arms? I prefer a tablet in a mount with a sunshade and lanyard.
I have old eyes and fat fingers. I find the phone display to be too small to read easily and the touch screen to be difficult to operate accurately.

I was blessed to win a Mavic at an event I went to. I already had one, so sold the one I won to a friend at a price to cover the Crystalsky High. I love it! Made flying much more enjoyable for my 65 year old eyes!

I knew I was screwed when I saw the way to mount your Smart Phone to the remote via the arms. I have a ruggedized case around my IPhone so there was no way it was going to fit without first removing it, which wasn’t something I was willing to do. So a “mount” of some sort was in my future.

Secondly having had other DJI drones prior to the Mavic, I knew I didn’t want to use my phone. It works but you really have a hard time seeing details on that tiny screen (I’ve cited examples on this forum where a larger screen has helped me capture some cool pictures I’d have missed on a small screen). Therefore I need a mount. I tried a few 3D printed ones but they were less than ideal and wound up with a MavMount as it works the best for all my iPads and it keeps the remote fairly well balanced. It also allows for a lanyard which I used flying all my drones.

Third since I use IPads, I need a shade of some sort. You can’t use a Hoodman in the arms....

So I’m in the same boat!

I started with a Nexus 7 tablet in the arms but found it made the whole control device too big and clunky. I then tried my phone (Z3 compact) but that really was too small -- buttons too close together. Currently using Sony XA Ultra -- pretty much ideal for the Mavic controller. My Z3 compact died, so I now use standard Z3 as my everyday phone, and it also serves as a backup for the Mavic (with separate USB cable).

Reactions: phoenix3

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa