DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL: What is your typical RTH altitude setting?

To what altitude do you have your RTH (Return-to-Home) set?

• 50 feet (15m) or less

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 50-100 feet (15-31m)

Votes: 42 18.1%
  • 100 - 200 feet (31-61m)

Votes: 122 52.6%
  • 200 - 300 feet (61-91m)

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • 300 (91m) or more

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Depends on the aircraft I am using

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I go to too varied of locations to have an idea of the average alt.

Votes: 19 8.2%

• Total voters
It’s not to bad with these MP’s as you have the signal strength meters
and you can tell how to adjust. With the Mini you don’t. Is harder to
adjust. Is one of the reasons I dislike the fly app.

Not that I am defending Fly (far from it, if you read my other thread), but not sure what you mean when you say "with the Mini you don't" (and by extension the Air 2 I assume) ... it does show you signal strength (# of satellites) and even (on the Air 2) the forward backward sensors.

Not that you can see them clearly, or at all sometimes, because of the poor UI design. I love how on DJI's complete user guide for the mini it says: " Check important flight status parameters such as the GPS ... <snip> .. .via easy-to-read status indicators and icons. " And the picture they show right below it, you can barely make stuff out. ? ?

Mavic-Mini-Take-Off-Screen-696x336.jpeg

Reactions: AMRE2ME2
PS> I do find the signal strength indicator to be mostly useless even when I can see it, because (at least around here) it goes from full bars to none (or one/orange) instantly. No in-between most of the time, just suddenly dies. And reposition the antennas does very little with the Mini.

And if you're talking about the orientation icon in the middle, yes it just about completely useless also.

Last edited:
@OneQuickSix ,hi my fellow flier ,this thread seems to have gone entirely off your original topic of RTH height, and more a discussion about the fly app,no offence meant just saying that all

Last edited:
Higher than the tallest tree. Your tallest tree in your area. Or building if you are flying over them for some strange reason. Or your highest power lines.
Good advice. I would add that it depends on other factors as well. If you will be flying under objects (like bridges or a high tree canopy) then you need to set it LOWER than those objects. Otherwise a loss of signal will trigger RTH and it will ascend directly into the object above it.

Good advice. I would add that it depends on other factors as well. If you will be flying under objects (like bridges or a high tree canopy) then you need to set it LOWER than those objects. Otherwise a loss of signal will trigger RTH and it will ascend directly into the object above it.
Mine is set for 280ft. Thats just after looking at my area of flight , trees , power lines. My highest obstacle may be 90ft.

Reactions: old man mavic
Just curious what people tend to set as their RTH altitude. Realize it could vary regionally (would be cool to collect that data) and for other factors, but just a general consensus.
Mine is usually around 100 feet as that will clear most trees, etc but I will change that if I see something that looks taller. Too high is safe too low may not be

There is no average altitude in RTH. This setting depends of the surrounding obstacles around the landing area. Set it in accordance of the highest tree or electric wires or other obstacles they may be in the returning path to ensure a clear way for your drone to fly back in home position.. If you fly in a totally flat area with the absence of any obstacle, a 10 meters high setting is enough. Just have your antennas pointing at the drone to ensure best signal all the time and avoid the mistake of pushing many times the RTH button in case of signal loss cause this is a major reason that drone is forced to land in any place or lost. Nice flights.

... avoid the mistake of pushing many times the RTH button in case of signal loss cause this is a major reason that drone is forced to land in any place or lost. Nice flights.

I never (or almost never) use the RTH button. The only time RTH gets activated is when the signal drops for too long, which is of course automated and literally out of my hands, ha-ha. Although, when I first got one of my drones, on my first or second flight, I think I inadvertently did do exactly that, because it started auto-landing in a farmer's field and, as a noob, I was freaking out, and didn't remember telling it to auto-land.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I have mine set at 50M because of trees and I'm not entirely trustful of the APAS idea of flying it back through buildings. That would mean it goes over pretty well all buildings round here I'm likely to come across. There are taller buildings in the town centre, but obviously I can't fly there.

100m / 300'; altitude increase is more important to me than having it fly home, this way I re-establish the connection. I want it to climb to an altitude that will allow me to course correct.

I'm at 500+ flights and I've never had it fly home, I always regain the connection when it climbs in altitude.

... Or building if you are flying over them for some strange reason. Or your highest power lines.

Just curious ... Why do you say "for some strange reason"? Why would it be strange to fly OVER a building? Fly into a building, yes ... that would be strange, and unfortunate. :p

Just curious what people tend to set as their RTH altitude. Realize it could vary regionally (would be cool to collect that data) and for other factors, but just a general consensus.
75 Feet, I fly mainly over the San Pablo Bay (California), where the tallest trees in the area is approximately 40ft, there are no power lines or homes in the area

Reactions: OneQuickSix
I have mine set to 350' just in case I have to clear something tall if I lose signal. I manually cancel the RTH the second I regain my signal and fly it back manually, dropping altitude accordingly.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
Interesting topic. I typically set mine at 120 meters, as I typically fly in a MAAC sanctioned field in a hilly & wooded area. I had a question though. Can you RESET your RTH Altitude when your flight is in progress. Sounds strange but I plan on flying near Wind Turbines strewn across rolling hills. The typical wind turbine is 328 feet tall. At 400 feet, I should be able to clear everything but I'm just wondering if my M2P calculates altitude at it's current position when RTH activates. So if I'm at higher ground, will my M2P adjust as it comes back? FYI, I don't normally use RTH and fly back manually. Just curious how RTH would treat this situation, if heaven forbid, I loose connection with my M2P.IMG-2562.PNG

with the ma2 your altitude is where you take off from,
dont no about mp2 but would assume the same