DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor Design On Remote For Mavic 2 Zoom Has Me FURIOUS and Now DJi Wants $200

aphototaker

Reactions
As many people know DJI made a decision on the RC for the Mavic 2 series to use the Micro USB which has a long history of failure. Then they added a special square plug which makes it unique and proprietary to them. I purchased the M2 Zoom and as many people have posted in the forum expected seem the unit used USB-C (the latest greatest) they would use that on the RC.

After figuring out which wires/plugs went to what I plugged in and took 4 yes FOUR flights. Before the 5th flight, I went to charge the RC and it wouldn't charge. I wiggled it and it wouldn't connect. I got my magnifier and checked to see that everything was the right plug, I was using the correct plug.

The pins were no longer all there in the RC they were inside the plug which DJI provided. Broken off. Frustrated I now couldn't fly I sent it back with a note describing everything and pointing to others in my local drone group had similar issues.

Tonight I get a note they assessed it and want $201 to repair or replace due to it not being covered under the warranty. This is my 3rd DJI product and I literally feel the most advanced unit I have just purchased is built with a flaw which will quickly become widespread to M2 Pro and M2 Zoom Owners.

I am now held hostage with a drone grounded with no RC, can't buy a separate RC (if I could it is over $300) and I essentially have a worthless piece of equipment unless I pay the ransom of $201.

To say I am frustrated is a polite understatement.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 8.20.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 8.20.24 PM.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 132
Dude. In no way am I defending DJI or their idiotic (and yes, it's idiotic) port choice, but that same port was on the original Mavic and I'm just gonna guess it's also the same on the Spark and Mavic Air controllers too (but I've never had either so I'm not certain). In any case, I've never had an issue with them but plenty of others have. Many have suggested to grab one of the magnetic port adapters to prevent issues using the thing...

Reactions: frank candor
I'm surprised they are charging that much. They only charged me $2 to replace antenna, no labor and actually replaced it.
I know viewing videos it is a PIA getting to the antenna wires so I know the work would be more than $2 worth.
Granted that was at the same time the AC was also sent in for repair/refresh.

Dude. In no way am I defending DJI or their idiotic (and yes, it's idiotic) port choice, but that same port was on the original Mavic and I'm just gonna guess it's also the same on the Spark and Mavic Air controllers too (but I've never had either so I'm not certain). In any case, I've never had an issue with them but plenty of others have. Many have suggested to grab one of the magnetic port adapters to prevent issues using the thing...
Magnetic port adapter? Not sure I have seen that.

Not promoting this directly (I don't have these and they could be crap...I don't know), but here's an example. Basically, the idea is that you just leave the magnetic adapter in the controller full-time so it reduces both stress on the port as well as avoids miscabling errors.

Last edited:
It’s a poor design. I decided to use the large usb to connect the screen to and to only use he micro Ian for charging. .. btw my son returned my Bluetooth charger which he “stole” some time ago, as he said the micro usb was broke and wouldn’t charge unless he waggled the plug about.

I used I tiny screwdriver to gently but firmly bend the sides of the plug in towards the middle and from the side required to charge when “wiggled” .. hey presto! Works fine and charges perfectly. . May not be permanent but virtually a new lease of life for no cost.

Re magnetic adapter mscenerd, do you have to unplug the magnetic connector to use the large usb ?

I'm not sure, but the nerd in me would lean toward most likely that you would. Maybe someone on here has one of these and has tested it out...I recall seeing a Thunderdrones post about this very thing, so maybe he's tried it. I've been kicking around buying some, but haven't yet personally.

I'm not sure, but the nerd in me would lean toward most likely that you would. Maybe someone on here has one of these and has tested it out...I recall seeing a Thunderdrones post about this very thing, so maybe he's tried it. I've been kicking around buying some, but haven't yet personally.
Let’s ask him. Hey @Thunderdrones what do you say on the magnetic connectors?

Reactions: Former Member
This was a thread from last week. Post #34 describes the extreme I went to in testing the magnetic intereference the magnetic cable might cause.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-2-fragile-micro-usb-side-port.50766/page-2#post-580649
This was a thread from last week. Post #34 describes the extreme I went to in testing the magnetic intereference the magnetic cable might cause.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-2-fragile-micro-usb-side-port.50766/page-2#post-580649
Thanks for all of the info!

I was really meanin, if you leave the magnetic plug in the micro usb eg for charging, will the large usb socket still work? .. I’m inclined to think it would be disconnected . Though a short magnetic lead to connect to iPad and a long magnetic lead to reach a wall charger would work in most cases I think.

if you leave the magnetic plug in the micro usb eg for charging, will the large usb socket still work?

Yes, you can you leave the detachable plug from the magnetic cable in the Micro USB port all the time, and the bottom port will still work for data. The magnetic cable only charges the controller, theres no data flowing in or out of the Musb port while the Mag cable is plugged in.

On my bench, I leave a charge cable plugged in to my controller, and use the bottom port to read data. You can charge through the Musb port and use the bottom port for data at the same time.

When I learned that people were having problems with the charging port I immediately bought the detachable magnetic plug and the cable that comes with it. I leave the detachable magnetic plug in the controller charging port and fly with no problems. It is very handy to just attach the charging cable and charge the controller. Just remember to take the cable off by turning it sideways. A straight pull will remove the plug and then you are back to reinserting it and that is what we are trying to avoid because of the concern that the port will fail with too much inserting and removing of the charging cable.

As many people know DJI made a decision on the RC for the Mavic 2 series to use the Micro USB which has a long history of failure. Then they added a special square plug which makes it unique and proprietary to them. I purchased the M2 Zoom and as many people have posted in the forum expected seem the unit used USB-C (the latest greatest) they would use that on the RC.
Its not proprietary, its Micro USB Type A which DJI did not design. The typical MicroUSB you're used to seeing is Type B which is the non-square design.

1541215138937.png

Usually Type A can be broken over time if you insert the charge cable in the wrong way. Would have been easier if it were using a reversible connector like USB-C but they didnt.

Had one for yonks. Yes stays in while bottom USB is in use. Plus it doesn't matter what way round the lead connects to the magnetic attachment. 20181103_172318.jpeg20181103_172411.jpeg

Reactions: Clinton1
I'm confused about why there is so much discussion about the micro USB port on the controller. Isn't it the exact same setup as on the Mavic 1?

Reactions: Mr. Salty
I'm confused about why there is so much discussion about the micro USB port on the controller. Isn't it the exact same setup as on the Mavic 1?

Yes, it is. But some people have to have something to complain about.

Here's how microUSB works: The USB icon on the plug faces up. If you try to insert the plug and there's resistance don't force it.

There, I just kept you from breaking your controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423