DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor image quality

here a nice mini2 pics - sharp from edge to edge.

exif
Filename - dji_fly_20231108_100030_621_1699466448125_photo_optimized.jpg
ImageWidth - 262144000
Model - FC7303
ImageLength - 196608000
Make - DJI
Exif-IFD-Offset - 137
Orientation - 0
DateTime - 2023:11:08 10:00:30
GPS-IFD-Offset - 291
DateTimeOriginal - 2023:11:08 10:00:30
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
FocalLength - 4.49 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
ExposureTime - 1/833.3 seconds
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
LightSource - Auto
FNumber - 2.80

GPS information: -
GPSLatitude - 37 16 57.316898 (37.282588)
GPSAltitude - 22.92 m
GPSAltitudeRef - Below Sea Level (Sea level reference)
GPSLongitude - 121 51 35.479698 (121.859855)

Attachments

• dji_fly_20231108_100030_621_1699466448125_photo_optimized.jpg
    dji_fly_20231108_100030_621_1699466448125_photo_optimized.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 10
Question: Do you use the focus / exposure highlight overlay helpers when you take these pics ?
yes i do, i want to add that in the mini2 i never had to quibble much - sometimes i changed EV-1 to prevent high spots. i am so disappointed with the mini4p images, just not crips and now i see even the loss of edge sharpness - all i try to figure out if i have a lemon or not

i am so disappointed with the mini4p images, just not crips and now i see even the loss of edge sharpness - all i try to figure out if i have a lemon or not
If it was so disappointing, I'd expect you could show several images that show why.
But so far you've only shown one image and that one doesn't show enough to tell whether there's actually a problem or not.
Go out and shoot a couple of test shots in good light, with the sun behind you and come back to show the results.
Avoid high contrast, bright + shadows, get something with some hard detail rather than masses of leaves.

Reactions: MS Coast
Try setting your focus to manual infinite. If that doesn't work, than you probably just have a faulty lens. This lens is almost the same as the one on the Mini 3 drones, and the Mini 3 (Pro) had a known issue where edges of the picture were out of focus for some units out of the factory. I had to replace one M3P because of it.

one more attempt - no zoom on 12MP mode - look at upper left - all leaves are mushy. here the exif. this is just not a quality image, sorry. ok ISO is 330 which is a little high but the mushiness is not from the ISO it is something else i think

Filename - DJI_20240606061909_0002_D.JPG
ImageDescription - default
Make - DJI
Model - FC8482
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - 10.08.66.02
DateTime - 2024:06:06 06:19:09
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Exif-IFD-Offset - 260
GPS-IFD-Offset - 746
XPComment - 0.9.142
XPKeywords - smart
ExposureTime - 1/1500 seconds
FNumber - 1.70
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 330
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2024:06:06 06:19:09
DateTimeDigitized - 2024:06:06 06:19:09
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/1500 seconds
ApertureValue - F 1.70
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 1.70
SubjectDistance - 0 m
MeteringMode - Average
LightSource - Daylight
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 6.72 mm
MakerNote-IFD-Offset - 890
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4032
ExifImageHeight - 2268
InteroperabilityOffset - 860
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 24 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
DeviceSettingDescription -
Serial Number - 6TVFL710M2J55M
Lens Info - 24.00 24.00 1.70 1.70

GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0
GPSLatitudeRef - N
GPSLatitude - 37 16 57.191898 (37.282553)
GPSLongitudeRef - W
GPSLongitude - 121 51 34.9464 (121.859707)
GPSAltitudeRef - Above Sea Level
GPSAltitude - 105.27 m

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 7 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 3224
JpegIFByteCount - 15224
To be fair, all auto-output JPG photo's will look like varying degrees of crap at 100%+ zoom. It's the Nature of the Beast. JPG is heavily processed by the camera chip before it goes anywhere near becoming an image format file. Then it is compressed (bits of visual information dumped) before it gets written to the microSD. Every time the JPG is opened and saved afterwards: it loses even more detail.

In your original comparison shots, the leaves showed evidence of over-sharpening to the point of creating block artefacts (the leaves - top left frame - look like they've been painted by Matisse). I got exactly this effect when testing out the '50mp' shot mode with one of the Autel Nano+'s I had. Nothing physically wrong with the camera or the lens, which, in a world where all DJI lenses are cheap plastic, was Schott glass and Leica made: it was poor camera firmware that was applying a ridiculous amount of sharpening to the JPG output.

The only way you're going to be able to objectively judge the image detail quality is if you ditch using the JPG's as a benchmark. Try using one of the softwares I suggested, all of them are DNG viewers, you don't have to try mastering any of them before you can view what each DNG produces after it's 'developed'.

Personally, I'd try different software and the DNG format before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
While the comments about trying to improve things with RAW output are helpful, there's still a valid point to be made if jpgs under identical circumstances are crappy in comparison.

Seems legitimate for one to expect better images from the M4P with the same auto settings reliance.

The non-professional believing they have upgraded from their mini 2 by buying a M4P and gets worse results doing the same thing has a real complaint.

Reactions: MS Coast
It is certainly true that not all Jpeg output is the same. For years the main 3D software I use outputted fairly ropey jpegs if you did it straight from the renderer, but converting lossless files somewhere else always produced much better result.... which is why I think there is some value to to be gained by getting DNG and outputting jpeg from the 'developed' version of that, in Photoshop or similar, which might be interesting for comparison reasons. We do kind of need to eliminate wanky compression artefacts from our enquiries... I don't know if the jpg output / compression is the same as it was on the M2 either...

Is the OP aware that these are not fixed focus? It looks like he is shooting with manual focus and it is set to absolute nearest distance.
Is this whole thread just clickbait? He claims to be an experienced photographer, but I don't see that in his photos

The leaves in upper left are mushy because they are overexposed a couple of stops.
Do you only have two images from the camera to prove the camera is rubbish?
sorry to disappoint you. i took more pics today and all is mushy. please look again in the upper left and you see the drop-off of the sharpness in the corner - this time the same subject all rock. my lens is not able to produce any sharp image is my conclusion, this is no fun. picture attached is right from the sdcard, no processing, no digital zoom. oh 11MB pics is too large need to find another option.
no i have about 200 images that are rubbish, not a single one i look at is any good in details. i will try to produce a link to the images

ok here the link to onedrive - hope it works.
DJI_20240619071535_0168_D.JPG

looking longer at these images i feel like looking through a cheap plastic lens.
oh and btw i can see the edge unsharpness in every pics

and more inspection shows that 3 corner are really unsharp like top left and right , bottom left, and a little better bottom right. but in the end all bad

here the exif data

Filename - DJI_20240619071535_0168_D.JPG
ImageDescription - default
Make - DJI
Model - FC8482
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - 10.08.66.02
DateTime - 2024:06:19 07:15:35
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Exif-IFD-Offset - 260
GPS-IFD-Offset - 746
XPComment - 0.9.142
XPKeywords - single
ExposureTime - 1/8000 seconds
FNumber - 1.70
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
DateTimeOriginal - 2024:06:19 07:15:35
DateTimeDigitized - 2024:06:19 07:15:35
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/8000 seconds
ApertureValue - F 1.70
ExposureBiasValue - -0.70
MaxApertureValue - F 1.70
SubjectDistance - 0 m
MeteringMode - Average
LightSource - Daylight
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 6.72 mm
MakerNote-IFD-Offset - 890
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4032
ExifImageHeight - 3024
InteroperabilityOffset - 860
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 24 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
DeviceSettingDescription -
Serial Number - 6TVFL710M2J55M
Lens Info - 24.00 24.00 1.70 1.70

GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0
GPSLatitudeRef - N
GPSLatitude - 38 52 22.9646 (38.873046)
GPSLongitudeRef - W
GPSLongitude - 123 39 36.932301 (123.660259)
GPSAltitudeRef - Above Sea Level
GPSAltitude - 36.97 m

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 7 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 3216
JpegIFByteCount - 19087

Last edited:
i supplied at least 3 or more images that are rubbish and comparison to mini 2 pics which are crisp
I'm sorry ... you did post 3 images (two are near duplicates taken minutes apart)
I don't see the rubbish that you think you can.
I don't see any of the kind of photos you should be taking if you want to tell whether there is a problem or not.
sorry to disappoint you. i took more pics today and all is mushy. please look again in the upper left and you see the drop-off of the sharpness in the corner - this time the same subject all rock.
I'm looking at it and I still can't see the problems that you think you can.
looking longer at these images i feel like looking through a cheap plastic lens.
oh and btw i can see the edge unsharpness in every pics
Maybe you need to have your eyes tested?
Or at least take some test photos that are appropriate for detecting camera problems (like I described in post #44).

I'm sorry ... you did post 3 images (two are near duplicates taken minutes apart)
I don't see the rubbish that you think you can.
I don't see any of the kind of photos you should be taking if you want to tell whether there is a problem or not.

I'm looking at it and I still can't see the problems that you think you can.

Maybe you need to have your eyes tested?
Or at least take some test photos that are appropriate for detecting camera problems (like I described in post #44).
are you saying you do not see lag of sharpness in the edges? if not we are not talking the same language sorry. i hope someone else can comment in addition. also you should give me some credit in having my eyes checked before i post, meaning put my glasses on :( oh and i assume you inspect the pics at 100% viewing

are you saying you do not see lag of sharpness in the edges? if not we are not talking the same language sorry. i hope someone else can comment in addition. also you should give me some credit in having my eyes checked before i post, meaning put my glasses on :( oh and i assume you inspect the pics at 100% viewing
Yes ... I looked at them at 100%
Yes ... I can't see the issues you are complaining about.

Now how about shooting the kind of photo you would need to if you were truly wanting to investigate potential camera issues.
Your complaints about the top left corner when it's either blank sky, distant overexposed leaves or a distant smooth rock face aren't very convincing.

So far the OP has only supplied one image from the newer camera.
That's not enough to declare the camera to be a lemon.

I agree.

I just thought we were starting to go a bit off-topic in getting into how to get the best results by post-processing.

While entirely valid, it still seems fair to expect better images from an M4P than an Mini 2 doing the same novice "point and shoot" approach.

Yes ... I looked at them at 100%
Yes ... I can't see the issues you are complaining about.

Now how about shooting the kind of photo you would need to if you were truly wanting to investigate potential camera issues.
Your complaints about the top left corner when it's either blank sky, distant overexposed leaves or a distant smooth rock face aren't very convincing.
all i can add is if you look at the rock image with 100% you can easily see the distortions and smearing out of the details - top left is worse bottom right is best

here some pics - you can identify the drone images, they are all mini 2 and i am very happy with the quality.
the non drone are either moto G 5 stylus or olympus EM mark 10 with 15-300mm zoom.

if you inspect the drone images you can see excellent sharpness and exposure across the images

yes, there are more images than people want to see but i take the pics for MYSELF

i admit i have not explored the MF focus in the M4P and i am not sure if it even has it (per DJI it does not have MF)

hopefully you enjoy the mini 2 pics

here some pics - you can identify the drone images, they are all mini 2 and i am very happy with the quality.
the non drone are either moto G 5 stylus or olympus EM mark 10 with 15-300mm zoom.

if you inspect the drone images you can see excellent sharpness and exposure across the images

yes, there are more images than people want to see but i take the pics for MYSELF

i admit i have not explored the MF focus in the M4P and i am not sure if it even has it (per DJI it does not have MF)

hopefully you enjoy the mini 2 pics
As others have stated, no lens is going to be perfect across all of the corners and even expensive ILC lenses have to be stopped down to get the best corner performance. Even with your Mini 2 photo (flower image) I do see distortion and loss of sharpness in the top left and bottom right corners. With that being said, I see a greater amount of distortion and loss of sharpness in the top and bottom left corners of the Mini 4 photo (beach view). The middle and right side of the Mini 4 photo look acceptable so my first thought is that your Mini 4 lens has a slight amount of decentering which favors the right side. However, without seeing additional examples where the entire frame is on the same plane of focus with good lighting, it is difficult to conclude what is happening.

Last edited:
2 things that occur to me about that bottom left corner especially:

1. That section of bush is a bit taller than the rest of it, yet the focus is dialled in for the main centre of the image, which is about 10 ft further down, so that bit might be blurry in that case ?

2. Being the highest bit of bush is it possible it was moving in the wind, which also would have produced the blur ?

...notwithstanding everything everyone said about images going a bit ropey in the corners of consumer level gear, which is my XP too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S13.