DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pop up ads on this forum

I gotta say that the pop-up ad that appears in the lower part of literally every page is not only annoying but it appears it is intentionally designed to be difficult to close. There is no visible “x”. If you try to touch the upper right corner it takes me usually 3-4 tries to close it. More than annoying. I understand the need for ads but this is over-reaching.
The two leading reasons for using an ad blocker are removing annoying ads (like this one) and protecting privacy/security. About 30% of desktop and 5% of mobile users in the US use an ad blocker. Ad block usage is much higher outside the US. I use UBlock, which has more technical features for ad blocking than AdBlock Plus, which in fact actually makes money by showing you ads. (Yes, AdBlock Plus gets paid millions of dollars by the likes of Google to show you ads even with AdBlock Plus enabled...) Ghostery is good too. If you're on mobile, try Brave.

And yet, advertising helps fund the operation of this site. If you support this site, why would you block their ads? Because they're too annoying or they invade your privacy, is the answer.

And here's where hopefully the site operators will take notice and maybe dial back their ad experience a bit, to prevent more people from using ad blockers. If they did this, they could ask users with ad blockers to let their ads in to support the site.

What device and browser are you running there? Maybe try it in another browser as there could be something else going on there.
Like I said, it only happens on my iPhone when viewing MavicPilots. I only have the IOS Safari browser on the phone.

I don't see this popup when viewing MavicPilots on any other device or browser. Like others have said, it started happening within the past month. It renders the sight very difficult to use.

I get a Facebook pop up 1/2 size of screen & it drives me crazy. Can't get rid of it. I will dump the forum if it continues.

I fully understand that the ads on this site provide income to operate. But I’d like to see the annoying ads that appear at the bottom of the page be removed.
There are many ads on the right side that should be sufficient for income, I would think. It gets really old removing this every time I change a page.

The “X” is so small, that most of the time you end up opening an ad without really wanting too. I assume that some income is supplied by the amount of “hits” one gets, but is really frustrating to the point that sometimes I don’t even go to the site because of this ads on the lower screen.

I’m sure that I’m not alone regarding this issue. Might there be a compromise that the site and readers may be reached on this issue?

Any responses would be appreciated

Mike

Reactions: Romi
I fully understand that the ads on this site provide income to operate. But I’d like to see the annoying ads that appear at the bottom of the page be removed.
There are many ads on the right side that should be sufficient for income, I would think. It gets really old removing this every time I change a page.

The “X” is so small, that most of the time you end up opening an ad without really wanting too. I assume that some income is supplied by the amount of “hits” one gets, but is really frustrating to the point that sometimes I don’t even go to the site because of this ads on the lower screen.

I’m sure that I’m not alone regarding this issue. Might there be a compromise that the site and readers may be reached on this issue?

Mike
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Are you referring to ads on mobile or desktop? Right now the only footer static ads are on mobile, which take up roughly 5% of the screen as below. Seems reasonable IMO. Of course, you can always upgrade to a premium for ~$3/mo to remove all the ads.
IMG_3F3A8D6AC5A9-1.jpeg

Reactions: BigAl07 and GFields
they appear on my Apple devices. (Iphone/ipad)
Sorry, I didn’t know about the up grade

Reactions: BigAl07

Mike
they appear on my Apple devices. (Iphone/ipad)
Sorry, I didn’t know about the up grade
Same here. iPhone user. I’m gonna attach a screenshot of my attempt to simply reply here. The ad covers the bottom of the reply window, pretty annoying. As far as taking up only 5% of the screen, I get it and don’t necessarily agree it should be taken off (except with interactive windows as mentioned and shown in my screenshot). BUT, the tiny x to close is almost unusable. Makes me wonder if they are intentionally making it harder to close. Like it seems I have to hit the x at least twice 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147