DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potential New Drone Owner Here!!

Thefoijizzle

Reactions
CIAO Everyone,
I received a Costco bundle Mavic Air from my wife for Xmas. However, I wasn’t sold on getting a drone due to
All the threads I read about people losing/crashing/software issues. So i returned it without even opening the box. Then I saw the Anafi!! So now I’m even more torn! Please sell me on why a Mavic Air over the PArrot Anafi? I’m so confused! Thanks in advance. Ps I travel a ton so these two drones would have to be my choices.
Joshua

Reactions: dirkclod
Well sorry but I am a DJI fanboy and the rest just are nothing to me .
But.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Reactions: Thefoijizzle
My biggest concern with the mavic is the stories I’ve heard of horrible customer service. Any truth to that?
Thanks

I crashed my Mavic 2 Zoom a few months ago. It took a month for them to repair it and get it back but they communicated with me the entire time and even gave me 30 percent off the repair costs when I asked. Besides, you’re on a Mavic forum lol. My guess is most people on here are going to say go for the Mavic. Like @dirkclod said, it’s DJI or nothing. You won’t be disappointed with the Air :)

My biggest concern with the mavic is the stories I’ve heard of horrible customer service. Any truth to that?
Thanks
Go to our other forum ParrotPilots and read a bit and you decide . You are not going to see any more here
than you will there . If you don't just start off wide open without learning the basics you can't go wrong with any DJI product .They all have their shortcomings but I have never had any issues that I didn't cause myself and have had them from the FC40 to the M2P now .

First of all, you seem to be a lucky man... getting a DJI drone from your wife for christmas ;-)
This is certainly not the case with all of us ... some have to turn because extra rounds to get "a permit" ... hehe.

Personally, I think that this device is like new territory. The more horror stories you read, the more fear you get. And then this device also flies free in the air !!

Like the previous speakers, I am very impressed with the DJI products and Mavic Air was even my first drone ever. I would never have been able to keep the package closed in your place ... the Mavic Air is an absolute technical feat in my eyes, and absolutely great designed. If you had opened the package, you would certainly have fallen for the drone. ;-) Even now that I have my Mavic 2 Pro, I often fly with my little Air because I really like it so much.

The Anafi drones I have always seen on the sides, but I do not like the style of the design, but of course, should be quite good.

I think the problem in your case might be respect for the multicopters themselves? Of course there are many stories about crashes, malfunctions and the like. But many things are just pilot's mistakes. If you know what you are doing and you want to learn dealing with these devices and their way of working, you have first found a great hobby and you do not have so much to worry about.

I wasn’t sold on getting a drone due to All the threads I read about people losing/crashing/software issues. i returned it without even opening the box.
There are a few points you should consider.
DJI has a massive market share and all the other makers slice up a small piece of the market pie between them.
DJI sells around 74% of all ready-to-fly drones and the next biggest sells 5%.
DJI market share: here's exactly how rapidly it has grown in just a few years
That means DJI have 15x as many drones out there as the next biggest and much more than the even smaller makers.
You could consider why that might be and if DJI would be so successful in the market if they had the problems you imagine.
You could also consider what those numbers might mean for the number of complaints.
If quality is the same for all makers, you would expect that the company selling the most drones might also get the most complaints.

Add to those points, the concept that people complain about problems but don't fill forums with posts about another successful flight just like the previous 200.
If you came from space and only studied humans in doctor's waiting rooms, you'd wonder why they are so sick.
Forums are the drone doctor's waiting rooms where people with problems come to seek help.
A few problems are genuine.
Many are due to misunderstanding or worse.
DJI drones record flight data like passenger aircraft do.
This allows the actual cause of many flight incidents to be identified and the cause of the overwhelming majority are operator issues rather than hardware or software issues.
My experience is that they are extremely reliable machines and I have no hesitation sending mine out on missions in all kinds of conditions..

Reactions: waylander
Yesterday at 7:35 PM

Man you guys are awesome!!! Thanks for so much good advise. I do respect these little machines and I don’t want to be irresponsible and purchase something I shouldn’t have any business flying in public. So, I took your advise and last night i bought me a little cheap drone to play around with. Wow these things are fun! Although, because of no battery warning, because it’s so small, and because it’s video lag, after 7 minutes in the air and horrible control response I almost lost the thing! I was in a field and it just decided to keep going away from me on its own! All I could think of was how I would feel with my mavic doing that to me!! Lol. I also realize I bought a crappy one and that’s why it did it. Well I have a big trip coming up and I’ll have to make a decision soon. You guys have me a lot to think about. Thank you!

CIAO Everyone,
I received a Costco bundle Mavic Air from my wife for Xmas. However, I wasn’t sold on getting a drone due to
All the threads I read about people losing/crashing/software issues. So i returned it without even opening the box. Then I saw the Anafi!! So now I’m even more torn! Please sell me on why a Mavic Air over the PArrot Anafi? I’m so confused! Thanks in advance. Ps I travel a ton so these two drones would have to be my choices.
Joshua
Howdy from Wyoming @Thefoijizzle , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

i bought me a little cheap drone to play around with. .. I almost lost the thing! I was in a field and it just decided to keep going away from me on its own! All I could think of was how I would feel with my mavic doing that to me!
The difference between the toy you bought and a real drone is like roller skates and a quality car.
No comparison at all.
Take your hands off the joysticks and it's like the drone is stapled to its piece of sky waiting for you to resume control - even in winds.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

...Although, because of no battery warning, because it’s so small, and because it’s video lag, after 7 minutes in the air and horrible control response I almost lost the thing! I was in a field and it just decided to keep going away from me on its own! All I could think of was how I would feel with my mavic doing that to me!! Lol. I also realize I bought a crappy one...
I find it interesting that some on this forum advise getting a cheap drone to practice with when there really is no comparison to the DJI products. I guess the rationality is if you can fly a cheap drone then you can fly a DJI drone. It is also true that you can fly a DJI drone even if you cannot fly a cheap drone. You should have no problems if you read and understand the manual, stay away from obstacles, and maintain a clear view of your Drone. Save the tricky flying for when you gain experience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph