DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-Flight updates

Toddvg

Reactions
I only fly every couple of weeks and in the winter it might only be once a month. When i do decide to fly it is most often a impulse and it is really frustrating that my drone is not always ready for me to fly.

To get rid of that pesky battery drain, I now have my batteries on a timer, so that every 5 days the charger turns on for a couple hours.

My next problem is figuring out how to get the Drone/RC/iPad all updated. Nothing is more frustrating is getting out in the country and notice that you need to update and you have no cell service or wifi.

Anyone have any advice, or maybe there is a way to ignore the update so that I can just do it after the flight?

My advice is to get more comfortable with the Assistant 2 on your computer for the Mavic , you can plug
in the Components separately to check for updates , That is is the most secure method .

You can also ignore the updates but Recently on the Air 2 my drone would only go out 150 before it stopped do to a battery update needed , but other than that ignore will work most times.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring Rain and Land on Water.

I second using the DJI Assistant for doing updates (and not the mobile). Further, I would do a quick (controlled) flight after doing any firmware updates...and I don't run every update as soon as it comes out. YMMV.

I only fly every couple of weeks and in the winter it might only be once a month. When i do decide to fly it is most often a impulse and it is really frustrating that my drone is not always ready for me to fly.

To get rid of that pesky battery drain, I now have my batteries on a timer, so that every 5 days the charger turns on for a couple hours.

My next problem is figuring out how to get the Drone/RC/iPad all updated. Nothing is more frustrating is getting out in the country and notice that you need to update and you have no cell service or wifi.

Anyone have any advice, or maybe there is a way to ignore the update so that I can just do it after the flight?
Your battery management technique is going to probably be a tradeoff between having them ready for the rare times you wish to fly and the overall life of the batteries. These batteries really do not like being at full charge (or anything over 60% or so in reality) for very long, and the less time the better. Leaving them charged for more than a day or two results in chemical degradation, and the more they are left in this charged state, the shorter their useful life will be. Some, like First Responders, have no choice but to do similar to what you do, as they need to have access to this tool when they need it, but it does come at this cost.

As far as updates go, you can check prior to going out. I usually just fire everything up in my living room prior to going out in order to make sure all is working, and if there are updates, I take care of them then via the flight app. If you find there are updates while out flying, you can ignore them and just make a mental note to take care of them later if you want, although the one exception to this would be a battery firmware update. When you update aircraft firmware, the battery in the aircraft at the time gets updated as well, but the others will then prompt for an update once first paired with the updated aircraft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d