DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PreFlight Checklist

I use Airplane Mode to minimize any problems with the iPad running multiple programs. I download the map so it will still work while the iPad is in Airplane mode and then the only thing running is the DJI Go 4 app.

This is great, Chas. Thanks. I have questions regarding calibrations as part of pre-flight checks. I've only flown my Mavic Pro (in Beginner Mode) once so far (and loved it of course). As instructed in one of many tutorial videos out there, I calibrated the IMU, compass, and gimbal (in that order). While the video I watched said I should calibrate the compass ANY time I change flight locations, he didn't say whether that's the case for IMU or gimbal. What are folks' thoughts on these three steps? Must they really be done everytime? (I would think that unless the camera seems tilted, the gimbal SHOULD be a one time operation...) Thanks in advance!

Im having some problems with DropBox links. Try these and please advise if they work. I'll move them to Google Drive if this doesn't work.

Chuck
Docs:
Dropbox - Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.docx
Pages:
Dropbox - Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.pages
PDF:
Dropbox - Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.pdf

Thanks ChadD, great reference and I'll be adding a few to my existing list that I attempted to add Mavic updates, originally dating back to my P2 days. And without having the list in front of me right now, here's the (*nal retentive) list of things that others may want to add to your awesome list. Michael

Validate your FAA registration is affixed to craft and presence of your FAA registration document

If operating under Part 107, ensure you have your FAA remote PIC card

Ensure you have enough free memory space, reformat using controller if necessary

Find safe takeoff/landing location...

Especially after an "unplanned landing" manually spin props to ensure motors/bearings are smooth

Ensure the battery is not swollen or shows physical signs of damage

Be aware of adverse environmental condition (cold/hot battery/IMU, strong/gusting wind, moisture/rain, limited visibility...)

Ensure your takeoff and flight area is free from strong electronic fields (especially microwaves)

Ensure your takeoff area does not have any ferromagnetic materials underneath (metal rods in concrete, pipes under surface, metal in vehicles...). Incidentally, on the Mavic the DJI Go app warns when sensing an irregularity (me powering up on the top of my RV), so I power-up and calibrate compass while standing off the roof.

Ensure you have 60+ feet of unobstructed overhead clearance (in case Return To Home is activated)

Validate environmental conditions using your favorite mobile apps and/or websites: B4UFly (NOTAM TFR), Airmap and/or www.1800wxbrief.com , SailFlow, Magnetology (Kp index), Hover, www.SkyVector.com , iSeismometer (variances in vibration over time/after 'unplanned landing), Verifly (mission insurance), etc

Pre-plan/think-out/rehearse your fallback plan scenarios and if necessary, alternative landing location/s

Ensure your flight path will not appear to violate reasonable privacy rights

Ensure your flight path adheres to FAA, Federal (National Parks, Military, Dams, Power Plants, etc), State (Parks, Prisons), City (Schools, Parks, Power Plants, etc), avoids flying over people, (reasonably) moving vehicles, (reasonable) permission over private property, yada yada...

Ensure your flight location allows you/your Visual Observer to see your UAV for the entire flight

Never fly "under the influence" of alcohol (8 hours per FAA Part 107)

Depending on the time of the day, make note of the sun's location relative to your craft's orientation and visibility from your ground location - avoid having sun behind your visible location and try to avoid shooting into the sun

If applicable, make entries in your flight logbook before/after flight

Discuss flight plan/mission/emergency procedures with your observer and team

Inform people to stay clear on takeoff, landing and avoid unnecessary discussions during flight

Be aware of animal behavior, especially dogs and birds

Place your mobile phone in "Airplane mode"

If applicable, login to Verifly app and purchase insurance for flight mission

After power-up, look and listen to ensure everything is running smoothly

After takeoff, perform brief full stress tests in all directions and yaw, especially up/down to ensure battery holds charge

And if not dark yet, hurry up and fly your mission!

Great list. Thanks for putting it together. Using all the checklists I can find here to build one that works for me. I am going to be flying commercially for Real Estate photos (I am a Broker) so want a very detailed list. I like how yours included the meaning of the light flashing sequences.

Thanks again!

I saw some PreFlight Checklists posted here and on the net so I gleaned some info and put together a checklist that has been working for me. I'm attaching copies of the checklist to this post in Pages, Word and PDF format in case anyone wants to add/subtract items. The original was made with Pages so the Word version may require some formatting. The forum would not accept the Word or Pages document so I posted the links to my Dropbox account.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58082910/Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.pages

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58082910/Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.docx

Below is my checklist guys, very comprehensive:

1. Place Mavic on flat surface.
2. Turn on Mavic and controller.
3. Take off!

Feel free to save and print this list out guys. Please be sure to check off each step on list to ensure a safe flight!

Reactions: rb14

3. Take off!

Feel free to save and print this list out guys. Please be sure to check off each step on list to ensure a safe flight!

You forgot to add
4. Come back here and post "My Mavic flew away"

Reactions: Merlin23 and facasi
You forgot to add
4. Come back here and post "My Mavic flew away"
Not likely. I flown hundreds of miles (almost 900) with my Mavic over every kind of terrain and not one issue.

No lame *** checklist is going to save you from your ineptitude and lack of confidence.

Guys like you try to idiot proof everything and take the operator responsibility out of the equation and end up making mistakes.

Piloting the Mavic is largely fly by wire and really quite simple. I can't imagine over thinking its simple operation with a 50 item checklist before each flight. But hey, some dudes are confident and competent and some, well, need a checklist.

Last edited:
Not likely. I flown hundreds of miles (almost 900) with my Mavic over every kind of terrain and not one issue.

No lame *** checklist is going to save you from your ineptitude and lack of confidence.

Guys like you try to idiot proof everything and take the operator responsibility out of the equation and end up making mistakes.

Piloting the Mavic is largely fly by wire and really quite simple. I can't imagine over thinking its simple operation with a 50 item checklist before each flight. But hey, some dudes are confident and competent and some, well, need a checklist.
Most "Real" pilots use checklists.

Reactions: SRJ_Mavic_PRO

3. Take off!

Lol

The checklist is good. It's pretty much what I think about before flying. There almost needs to be a separate checklist for the camera settings.

Excellent list, but I will personally make some modifications.

Change this ❏ Install iPhone/iPad into Remote Control and ❏ Launch DJI Go Pro 4 App (from POWER ON REMOTE CONTROL) because when i install the phone in the control i can not perform the other tasks because it's very complicated to handle the phone inside the control.
That is why I have also changed the following

Also change iphone/ipad by Phone/Tablet to make it more universal and add
"Check that the brightness of the Phone/Tablet is at maximum"

My list would be like this.

REMOTE CONTROL PREFLIGHT

Check Remote Control Battery Level
Check Phone/Tablet Battery Level
Pre-Load Maps & Close Any Open Apps on Phone/Tablet
Set Phone/Tablet to Airplane Mode
Launch DJI Go Pro 4 App
❏ Check that the brightness of the Phone/Tablet is at maximum
❏ Install Phone/Tablet into Remote Control

Unfold RC Antennas and Set Initial Orientation
Check Flight Mode Switch on RC and Set It to P-Mode

AIRCRAFT PREFLIGHT

Check Battery Level of Aircraft
Unfold Arms - Front First Then Rear
Confirm SD Card In Place
Confirm WiFi/RC Switch Set to RC
Confirm Access Covers Closed
Remove Gimbal Cover
Remove gimbal clamp
Check Gimbal for Damage/Obstruction
Check Gimbal Placement Board for Proper Positioning under Tabs
Reinstall Gimbal Cover if not using Camera or Weather Conditions Require It
Install Propellers - White Circle/Black to Proper Motors

POWER ON AIRCRAFT
Place Aircraft in Take-off Position
Check Air Traffic Apps and Area for Obstructions or Flight Concerns
Power On Aircraft

POWER ON REMOTE CONTROL
Power On Remote Control
Check Aircraft General Health Status and Calibration
Check Signal Strength for GPS, Remote Control Signal and A/C Batteries
Check Obstacle Avoidance Settings
Check/Set Proper RTH Failsafe Height
Confirm RTH Location on Map
Check SD Card Status/Capacity
Check Camera Settings/Focus

FINAL CHECK
Wait for "Ready to Go (GPS)" Activation and Confirm # of GPS Connections
Start/Stop Motors Test
Turn on Camera - Video Mode
Manual/Automatic Take Off
Hover at 32 ft AGL to Set Precision Landing Coordinates
Clear Trees/Obstacles and Proceed With Flight

upload_2017-5-19_10-13-8.png

Excellent list, but I will personally make some modifications.

Change this ❏ Install iPhone/iPad into Remote Control and ❏ Launch DJI Go Pro 4 App (from POWER ON REMOTE CONTROL) because when i install the phone in the control i can not perform the other tasks because it's very complicated to handle the phone inside the control.
That is why I have also changed the following

Also change iphone/ipad by Phone/Tablet to make it more universal and add
"Check that the brightness of the Phone/Tablet is at maximum"

My list would be like this.

REMOTE CONTROL PREFLIGHT

Check Remote Control Battery Level
Check Phone/Tablet Battery Level
Pre-Load Maps & Close Any Open Apps on Phone/Tablet
Set Phone/Tablet to Airplane Mode
Launch DJI Go Pro 4 App
❏ Check that the brightness of the Phone/Tablet is at maximum
❏ Install Phone/Tablet into Remote Control

Unfold RC Antennas and Set Initial Orientation
Check Flight Mode Switch on RC and Set It to P-Mode

AIRCRAFT PREFLIGHT

Check Battery Level of Aircraft
Unfold Arms - Front First Then Rear
Confirm SD Card In Place
Confirm WiFi/RC Switch Set to RC
Confirm Access Covers Closed
Remove Gimbal Cover
Remove gimbal clamp
Check Gimbal for Damage/Obstruction
Check Gimbal Placement Board for Proper Positioning under Tabs
Reinstall Gimbal Cover if not using Camera or Weather Conditions Require It
Install Propellers - White Circle/Black to Proper Motors

POWER ON AIRCRAFT
Place Aircraft in Take-off Position
Check Air Traffic Apps and Area for Obstructions or Flight Concerns
Power On Aircraft

POWER ON REMOTE CONTROL
Power On Remote Control
Check Aircraft General Health Status and Calibration
Check Signal Strength for GPS, Remote Control Signal and A/C Batteries
Check Obstacle Avoidance Settings
Check/Set Proper RTH Failsafe Height
Confirm RTH Location on Map
Check SD Card Status/Capacity
Check Camera Settings/Focus

FINAL CHECK
Wait for "Ready to Go (GPS)" Activation and Confirm # of GPS Connections
Start/Stop Motors Test
Turn on Camera - Video Mode
Manual/Automatic Take Off
Hover at 32 ft AGL to Set Precision Landing Coordinates
Clear Trees/Obstacles and Proceed With Flight

View attachment 13153
Curious why you power the aircraft before the RC. All tutorials I have seen do the reverse

Curious why you power the aircraft before the RC. All tutorials I have seen do the reverse
Once the Mavic is deployed, I turn it on first so that it is finding GPS and then I turn on the remote control, for when the control registers the Mavic I already have between 4 and 8 GPS taken.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots