DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro or Pro Platinum?

Rojillio Santoro

Reactions
After 3 Sparks I think I'm ready to upgrade. Having lost my 1st 2 sparks and nearly my 3rd to flyaway I'm not sure I want to risk a Pro 2, but the old Pro look pretty affordable,

I'm thinking the Pro Platinum be might worth paying a little more for with slightly longer fly time and less noise. Amazon.com: DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo Travel Bundle: Extra 2 Batteries, Professional Case and More: Gateway

The hard shell case looks like a nice bonus.

What about visibility? Would the platinum color be harder to see in a bright sky than the Pro black or would I be better off adding bright flashing lights or decals for visibility (I can't see my spark more than a few hundred feet)?

Reactions: Slade
First off welcome to the forum :)

The Pro and Pro Platinum are both very capable aircraft. I've got a Platinum that's got hundreds of flights and many miles covered. It still serves my needs perfectly so I gotta admit it's a lot of BANG for your BUCK.

The "color" of the Mavic series isn't really a plus or a negative IMHO. After a few hundred feet they tend to all look "greyish" anyway.

What exactly do you feel like is the "reason" for you losing 2 and almost a 3rd Spark?

After 3 Sparks I think I'm ready to upgrade. Having lost my 1st 2 sparks and nearly my 3rd to flyaway I'm not sure I want to risk a Pro 2, but the old Pro look pretty affordable,

I'm thinking the Pro Platinum be might worth paying a little more for with slightly longer fly time and less noise. Amazon.com: DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo Travel Bundle: Extra 2 Batteries, Professional Case and More: Gateway

What about visibility? Would the platinum color be harder to see in a bright sky than the Pro black or would I be better off adding bright flashing lights or decals for visibility (I can't see my spark more than a few hundred feet)?

Welcome to the Forum

Your mind would be much more at ease if you understood the reason for the fly aways. 90% of all fly aways can be explained using this forum and some of its experts. Once you really understand why you lost the Sparks you may find yourself gravitating towards the Mavic 2 and much more confident in your decision to upgrade your drone..

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

We do offer the exclusive forum price $925 shipped for the mp flymore or 1100 for the platinum fmc. will also throw in the micro sd like amazon pm me if interested

As a new soon to be drone owner (Went with the M2Pro.) I did my research. In short, I was very impressed with the Pro Platinum as my second choice.

Pro. Platinum isn’t as quiet as advertised. But, of course, I’m a cheap Czech? Buy whichever drone catches your fancy. I bought a Refurbished Mavic Pro from DJI and it’s a dream to fly. Happy Flying??

I have the MP1 and well satisfied with it, but I would rather have the Platinum. That's what I advise all my friends to look for. P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

First off welcome to the forum :)

The Pro and Pro Platinum are both very capable aircraft. I've got a Platinum that's got hundreds of flights and many miles covered. It still serves my needs perfectly so I gotta admit it's a lot of BANG for your BUCK.

The "color" of the Mavic series isn't really a plus or a negative IMHO. After a few hundred feet they tend to all look "greyish" anyway.

What exactly do you feel like is the "reason" for you losing 2 and almost a 3rd Spark?
I've actually lost 3 drones to flyaway. The 1st was a $30 "drone" that flew away immediately after the 1st take off.

The first Spark flyaway was a least partially my fault as I was flying from my home where GPS is weak. If I couldn't get a GPS lock on my deck I'd I'd ascend 20 feet or so which was usually adequate. In this instance I flew about a 100 feet into an open area, then the AC stopped responding, though still connected, and flew off into the woods. The Spark lasted 3-4 months longer than the $30 drone. Conclusion: pay more - get more technology to compensate for pilot ineptitude (or stupidity). $1K will be a worthwhile investment for a Mavic if I can hang onto it for a year.

With my 2nd Spark I was flying a Litchi way point mission I flown numerous times before in a remote area (no known interference) and strong GPS signal. I momentarily turned my attention then heard a lost connection beep from the controller. The Spark had turned 90 degrees off course and flown into oblivion. After reviewing the flight record people at Litchi said it looked like GPS interference. WTF?. dji wouldn't even look at the issue since I was using other party software.

The 3rd Spark (a refurb) flew away or mistook a location several blocks away as Home while I was attempting to document all the malfunctions I was experiencing since dji replaced the main board. In this case I was lucky as I was in civilization and was able to track it down using the Find My Drone utility. I sent it back to dji a 2nd time, after which they replaced the main board again and all the sensors. .

I went for some training at a drone school that used Mavic Pro. The instructor said the reason for my flyaways was WiFi, though I suspect that's an over simplification

Last edited:
I've actually lost 3 drones to flyaway. The 1st was a $30 "drone" that flew away immediately after the 1st take off.

The first Spark flyaway was a least partially my fault as I was flying from my home where GPS is weak. If I couldn't get a GPS lock on my deck I'd I'd ascend 20 feet or so which was usually adequate. In this instance I flew about a 100 feet into an open area, then the AC stopped responding, though still connected, and flew off into the woods. The Spark lasted 3-4 months longer than the $30 drone. Conclusion: pay more - get more technology to compensate for pilot ineptitude (or stupidity). $1K will be a worthwhile investment for a Mavic if I can hang onto it for a year.

With my 2nd Spark I was flying a Litchi way point mission I flown numerous times before in a remote area (no known interference) and strong GPS signal. I momentarily turned my attention then heard a lost connection beep from the controller. The Spark had turned 90 degrees off course and flown into oblivion. After reviewing the flight record people at Litchi said it looked like GPS interference. WTF?. dji wouldn't even look at the issue since I was using other party software.

The 3rd Spark (a refurb) flew away or mistook a location several blocks away as Home while I was attempting to document all the malfunctions I was experiencing since dji replaced the main board. In this case I was lucky as I was in civilization and was able to track it down using the Find My Drone utility. I sent it back to dji a 2nd time after which they replaced the main board again and all the sensors. .

I went for some training at a drone school that used Mavic Pro. The instructor said the reason for my flyaways was WiFi, though I suspect that's an over simplification
Do you use RTH as default on loss of signal?

Pay a bit extra and get the M2P.... way better drone
a few $ more? more like $700 more for a new m2p fmc vs the price of the mpp fmc I offered. boils down to preference and budget but you can almost buy 2 platinums for the price of 1 m2p

Welcome to the forum. I had the pro and now have the platinum. So worth it. I however would upgrade to the m2p one day. Definitely share your logs some of the best peps here to help you. @sar104 and @Meta4 plus many more I am forgetting. Sorry

Less prone to fly away?

"Fly aways", in as much as they exist, are almost always caused by pilot error. In fact I can't recall any reported on this forum that don't fall into that category.

"Fly aways", in as much as they exist, are almost always caused by pilot error. In fact I can't recall any reported on this forum that don't fall into that category.
The point I was trying to make is that technology can compensate for pilot error (and this pilot seems more prone to error than most). GPS navigation, the ability to hover etc. with Spark has prevented it from flying away a lot longer than the $30 drone. From what I understand the Mavic Pro is safer than the Spark in this regard. But does the Mavic 2 have more safeguards than the Mavic Pro?

Reactions: Drgnfli
That's correct.
He couldn't possibly tell what caused your incidents without examining the recorded flight data and the explanations would not be Wifi.
The point I was trying to make is that technology can compensate for pilot error (and this pilot seems more prone to error than most). GPS navigation, the ability to hover etc. with Spark has prevented it from flying away a lot longer than the $30 drone.
The term "flyaway" is a problem.
It entered the drone flying vocabulary back in the early days when flyers lost their drones without understanding the reasons for their loss.
But ever since 2015 when DJI drones began using the DJI Go app, we have the equivalent of a black box data recorder and can investigate flight incidents using the recorded flight data.
That's helped us to find the causes of flight incidents and we now understand that drones can be lost for a number of reasons, but they don't fly away.

The study of flight incidents from recorded data has a high educational value as it helps you to understand what can go wrong and ways to make sure they don't happen to you and your drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying