DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem the numbers of satellites

Th3DroneroGT

Reactions
I have a problem with the number of GPS satellites, here where I live the Mavic Mini there are times when it reaches 6-8 satellites and there are other days when it does not go up to 5 satellites, what problem will it be, it is in the same place I have already tried to calibrate the compass and everything is normal, I have no choice but to take off and wait for it to catch the satellites, any solution?

The only thing that occurs is that it can't see enough of the sky from the ground. If you are taking off amongst tall buildings, or trying to fly in a canyon with steep sides the number of satellites it can see will be limited. This is borne out by the fact you get plenty once airborne.

Compass and IMU calibration is separate from the number of satellites it can see, which is automated. Try taking off from open ground with no obstructions.

I have a problem with the number of GPS satellites, here where I live the Mavic Mini there are times when it reaches 6-8 satellites and there are other days when it does not go up to 5 satellites, what problem will it be, it is in the same place I have already tried to calibrate the compass and everything is normal, I have no choice but to take off and wait for it to catch the satellites, any solution?
Calibrating the compass won't make any difference. .. GPS is completely independent of the compass.
With a full sky view you should get 15-20 sats anywhere.
Trees, buildings etc blocking the sky view will reduce the number of sats available.
Find yourself a good open location to fly from.

With a full sky view you should get 15-20 sats anywhere.
15-20 anywhere seems excessive to me. Note that the GPS system only has 24 satellites in total, so on average you would expect 12 to be on the other side of the planet if randomly distributed.
According to UAV Forecast the number of visible satellites varies between 8 and 17 for some random locations, average maybe 13.

15-20 anywhere seems excessive to me. Note that the GPS system only has 24 satellites in total, so on average you would expect 12 to be on the other side of the planet if randomly distributed.
According to UAV Forecast the number of visible satellites varies between 8 and 17 for some random locations, average maybe 13.
The drone receives transmissions from GPS and Glonass satellites
15-20 is quite normal.

15-20 anywhere seems excessive to me.
And sometimes >20 sats ... like this:
i-mkhpmCg-L.png

GPS is currently configured as a 27 slot constellation, and GLONASS has 24 active satellites.

Note as well that the satellites are not stationary with respect to the ground position. Sometimes they are aligned with a clear line of sight to the drone, and sometimes not. The drone selects in real time which satellites to use, but even then the geometry isn’t always ideal. No amount of software Tom foolery can change this much.

[/QUOTE

I noticed after the last Firmware Update my Mini takes forever to locate satellites. I also went on YouTube to see if anyone has said anything about it. I found there is a lot of people complaining about it taking so long but no one said it was after the last update. I know it was because I take off from the exact same spot every time

The only thing that occurs is that it can't see enough of the sky from the ground. If you are taking off amongst tall buildings, or trying to fly in a canyon with steep sides the number of satellites it can see will be limited. This is borne out by the fact you get plenty once airborne.

The problem with the AC acquiring a GPS lock after you are airborne is that the home point will be updated some way from the take off point (which is why the voice says "Please check it on the map"). This can become a big problem if/when RTH is activated and the spurious home point is over water etc. Thankfully, if you do get the "Home Point Updated" message while in the air, you have the option to update it manually through the App.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
The constellation of satellites is constantly moving, therefore the number visible from your position varies throughout the day.

Note as well that the satellites are not stationary with respect to the ground position. Sometimes they are aligned with a clear line of sight to the drone, and sometimes not.
The constellation of satellites is constantly moving, therefore the number visible from your position varies throughout the day.
I had always assumed the GPS system was in a geosynchronous orbit. Never really learned how it worked, just used it. Did a little reading this morning to inform myself more about how the system works and saw this cool little gif at wikipedia.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I had always assumed the GPS system was in a geosynchronous orbit. Never really learned how it worked, just used it. Did a little reading this morning to inform myself more about how the system works and saw this cool little gif at wikipedia.

Obviously it couldn't work in a geostationary orbit - firstly the satellites would be too far away, and secondly they would all be in the same orbital plane over the equator.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute