DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proof that DJI screwed up Airsense on the Jan 2022 FW Release

VintageSlots

Reactions
OK boys and girls, here is definitive proof that DJI royally screwed up ADS-B notifications in the latest M3 FW update.

A buddy and I went to a municipal airport. Parked our butts close to the end of the runway with a Mavic Air 2s and a Mavic 3.

Fired up both. Neither drone had the props on them so there was NEVER a risk to the manned aircraft.

Here are the results.

I have the logs if DJI wants them.

When I talk to DJI support in the past they said Airsense is working perfectly on the Mavic 3 and I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Its not news to me. I've had planes fly directly over, not a peep. One user said the toggle was reversed and it worked when turned off. Not for me. Had a low altitude Helecopter fly within 500 feet of the M3. I was at 220 feet, heard, then immediately saw the helecopter. I was so shaken I packed up and went home. I don't think that would fit with DJI's description that it's been "tuned" to eliminate manned aircraft that's not within limits. What's the limit? Impending collision?

When I filed a support ticket DJI was very arrogant and said it was working perfectly.

They told me to provide more evidence which is what I did.

I am tempted to return it and demand my money back because it is flawed.

Curious how you got clearance to start motors. I live just outside a smallish, but International Airport and have never been locked out of flying. Then again I've never tried within restricted airspace. Obviously this is small GA Airport, but I would expect at least a LAANC clearance was needed?

It was in class G airspace, no clearance was required and I didn't need LAANC either.

While I understand your concern, AirSense is more of a DJI marketing gimmick than a true safety feature. Many private planes, helicopters, paramotors, crop dusters, and other drones in the area that are all potential threats usually have no transponders, and military helicopters turn them off, so AirSense only leads to a false sense of confidence. Anyone flying VLOS will hear and see any potential threat long before it becomes one! The commercial jet flying at 5,000 feet directly overhead that AirSense does detect is never a threat. As DJI says about OA, it's an advisory feature, but not a guarantee!

I understand what you are saying, however, as a Part 61 pilot (as well as a drone pilot), I want all the tools possible to notify drone pilots about the presence of manned aircraft.

I was on the fence on whether to get a Mavic 3 or Autel Pro 2. Airsense put was one of the deciding factors. I found it very useful when it was working. I fly where there are a lot of small planes flying around and most of them usually have their transponders turned on. The more eyes looking out for manned aircraft the better.

I can appreciate that DJI attempted to fix Airsense so it would not report manned aircraft that is not a threat, but, in true DJI fashion, they screwed it up and refuse to admit it.

Terrific test.... thanks for taking the time.

In my area, we have hills and trees everywhere and yet its still pretty urban. Its a real help to know that there is a small plane or helicopter over the next hill. I can fly VLOS and still not know that there is something to worry about nearby.

I understand what you are saying, however, as a Part 61 pilot (as well as a drone pilot), I want all the tools possible to notify drone pilots about the presence of manned aircraft.

I was on the fence on whether to get a Mavic 3 or Autel Pro 2. Airsense put was one of the deciding factors. I found it very useful when it was working. I fly where there are a lot of small planes flying around and most of them usually have their transponders turned on. The more eyes looking out for manned aircraft the better.

I can appreciate that DJI attempted to fix Airsense so it would not report manned aircraft that is not a threat, but, in true DJI fashion, they screwed it up and refuse to admit it.
I agree, I get it that VLOS means you hear it before it's a threat, but I liked the added heads-up.

And with this control, you should be able to manage the "annoyance factor" as well:

1646317138196.png

OK boys and girls, here is definitive proof that DJI royally screwed up ADS-B notifications in the latest M3 FW update.

A buddy and I went to a municipal airport. Parked our butts close to the end of the runway with a Mavic Air 2s and a Mavic 3.

Fired up both. Neither drone had the props on them so there was NEVER a risk to the manned aircraft.

Here are the results.

I have the logs if DJI wants them.

When I talk to DJI support in the past they said Airsense is working perfectly on the Mavic 3 and I don't know what I am talking about.
Thank you for taking the time to do this. I hope you posted this on DJI forums as well. Airsense is completely broken for me on the M3 and continues to work normally on my Air2S, exactly as your video indicates.

It was in class G airspace, no clearance was required and I didn't need LAANC either.
No requirement for ADSB out when operating in a Class G airspace.
Generally speaking, if you operate within airspace in the U.S. that requires a transponder, you will need to equip with ADS-B Out. More specifically, the Garmin ADS-B website says, “this includes Class A, B, or C airspace, Class E airspace at and above 10,000 ft MSL over the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, and Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the U.S. out to 12 nm and above 3,000 ft MSL. Even if you don’t fall into one of these categories, you’ll still need an ADS-B “Out” solution if you find yourself flying from the surface up to 10,000 ft MSL within 30 miles of most primary Class B airports.”
Source: ADS-B: Are you exempt? | CTS Blog

You can also verify later if there were any ADS-B transmissions at or near an airport by visiting FlightAware ( FlightAware - Flight Tracker / Flight Status ) and enter the the city/airport. If there were no transmissions at the time you were in the vicinity of the airport, then this would explain why the Fly app did not show any transmissions.

No requirement for ADSB out when operating in a Class G airspace.

Source: ADS-B: Are you exempt? | CTS Blog

You can also verify later if there were any ADS-B transmissions at or near an airport by visiting FlightAware ( FlightAware - Flight Tracker / Flight Status ) and enter the the city/airport. If there were no transmissions at the time you were in the vicinity of the airport, then this would explain why the Fly app did not show any transmissions.
You really need to look at the video. Air 2s showed when aircraft were near...... Mavic 3 did not. It was a pretty convincing test.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Aircraft owners can also write to FlightAware and FlightRadar24 and ask to opt-out, so you may not see a flight on the app, but the DJI AirSense will show it because it is using its own ADS-B receiver.

On a related note, I was flying last evening and had several alerts. I had one that was about 35,000 feet out and leaving the area. As soon as it reached 40,000 feet distance, the alert ended. My sensitivity is at max. Which brings up another matter. When there is an alert, the distance and altitude of the manned craft are displayed. But a LONG way from the AC icon. You must zoom way out in order to see it. It needs to be closer.

Which DJI models have ADS-B notifications?

I don't think my M2P has it.

There has definitely been a change (Mavic 3) Prior to firmware upgrade I would get reports of manned aircraft even before hearing them. I liked this and I guess the only issue was that it would continually warn me over and over again when perhaps a few times would be sufficient. Now I get zero notifications at all….have not had one since.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1